Patrick Kane's Historic Season: 121 Point Pace

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It was a decent argument when they both came into the league when they went back and forth having better seasons.

But since the end of the lockout Kane has had the clear edge this was also the time he got to another level as a goal scorer...not to mention it seems Kane has sort of saved Toews career as a top line center for the moment.
Toews was putting up top line C numbers before kane joined his line.

Last edited:

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Kane is playing on another level right now. Hart or not, this season (thus far) is significantly more impressive than his 2016 season.
If Hawks reaches the playoffs he's locked in for the Hart. Anything else would be insane.
Not true lol. That was a very strong season. Kids these days...

Stop watching highlights (in which, obviously, every puck gets in) and get some true info or watch footage of complete games.
One of the best posts I've seen here. :clap:

bobbyking

May 29, 2018

Remove Gretzky (196 pts) and look at the point totals. Peter Stastny wins with 126, followed by Savard with 121, followed by Bossy (118) and Dionne (107)

How far will point total for the top 5 be to this, this year? Could be very similar. That's how good 121 was in 82-83: just as good as in 2018-19. Stop spreading the myth of the 80s in which every idiot had 100+ points. That's not true.

Imagine:

Kucherov : 126
Kane : 121
McDavid : 118
Gaudreau/MacKinnon : 107

Totally plausible if they keep their paces. Same top 4-5 as in 82-83, except for Gretzky.

And perhaps you'll finally realize how strong Gretzky's 196 truly was.

Stop watching highlights (in which, obviously, every puck gets in) and get some true info or watch footage of complete games.
Except there was 8 + goals a game. Wayne had weak competition. The best post lockout seasons belong to europeans. They wouldn't beat Wayne but if kuch/kane/mcdavid put up 120/130 today its better then any season in the 80s besides wayne/Mario

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Remove Gretzky (196 pts) and look at the point totals. Peter Stastny wins with 126, followed by Savard with 121, followed by Bossy (118) and Dionne (107)

How far will point total for the top 5 be to this, this year? Could be very similar. That's how good 121 was in 82-83: just as good as in 2018-19. Stop spreading the myth of the 80s in which every idiot had 100+ points. That's not true.

Imagine:

Kucherov : 126
Kane : 121
McDavid : 118
Gaudreau/MacKinnon : 107

Totally plausible if they keep their paces. Same top 4-5 as in 82-83, except for Gretzky.

And perhaps you'll finally realize how strong Gretzky's 196 truly was.

Watching complete games only further illustrates how horrible defensive structure was back then. I'd say if anything if just judging from the highlights the goalies would be underrated and the team play and most players overrated. It was a totally different time and not remotely comparable to the game today.

The players today are objectively more skilled and better athletes, the same goes for Wayne and Mario. You can act like you know Gretzky would be that far ahead of the curve today but the fact is you don't, no one does. He would be great no doubt, but how great is really debatable.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
The biggest reason goal scoring was so much higher in the 80's is mainly because goalie equipment was absolutely primitive compared to now. Stick technology has improved as well since then, but not near as big of a jump as the former. Back then, goalie pads were basically pillows that would soak up 10 pounds of water a few minutes into each period, which is why you'd see goalies on their edges when forwards were staring them down 10 feet away. (If you went down as a goalie, you weren't getting back up any time soon)

Generally, I think comparing players in completely different eras is a pointless endeavour.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Toews was putting up top line C numbers before kane joined his line.
65-70 points might be “top line” standards because it’s Toews and the fact that he hasn’t scored at that pace in years, but since playing his Kane, his numbers have increased drastically. He’s actually hitting numbers he wouldn’t have.

Look at the last 10 games, majority of that time with Kane, he has 13 points with 6 goals.

There’s no need to keep defending this idea. Toews has obviously benefited from playing with Kane, why some continue to be in denial about that or see it as a low blow against Toews need to stop being so sensitive. Toews has always needed top linemates to produce more, this time he has one of the best in the league. No shame in that.

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
"Kane has sort of saved Toews career as a top line center for the moment"

and

"Toews has obviously benefited from playing with Kane"

are different arguments, don't you think?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
65-70 points might be “top line” standards because it’s Toews and the fact that he hasn’t scored at that pace in years, but since playing his Kane, his numbers have increased drastically. He’s actually hitting numbers he wouldn’t have.

Look at the last 10 games, majority of that time with Kane, he has 13 points with 6 goals.

There’s no need to keep defending this idea. Toews has obviously benefited from playing with Kane, why some continue to be in denial about that or see it as a low blow against Toews need to stop being so sensitive. Toews has always needed top linemates to produce more, this time he has one of the best in the league. No shame in that.
hes been about a point per game all year..

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
HF: Kane play with ___ that’s why he’s so good blah blah

Yes HF Kane plays on every line and in goal too.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015

What a stupid comment. Every 1C in the league plays with elite wingers. Do they all need help as well?

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He’s been close to a PPG playing with Kane. Before that he also played with DeBrincat. Once again, there’s no need to defend any of this. It’s not bad. His production took a dramatic turn once he was on Kanes line.

Once again, he’s always needed top notch talent in order to produce.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
What a stupid comment. Every 1C in the league plays with elite wingers. Do they all need help as well?
And you talk about “stupid” comments....the irony.

Every 1C plays with elite wingers? That’s a fact now? Do they all play on a line with a player like Kane? Nope. Once again, don’t get so sensitive, Toews has only been a PPG player once and his production took a huge blow over the last few years because of this. I’m sorry that you can’t handle the truth, that Toews offense is being greatly benefitted from a top league player.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
And you talk about “stupid” comments....the irony.

Every 1C plays with elite wingers? That’s a fact now? Do they all play on a line with a player like Kane? Nope. Once again, don’t get so sensitive, Toews has only been a PPG player once and his production took a huge blow over the last few years because of this. I’m sorry that you can’t handle the truth, that Toews offense is being greatly benefitted from a top league player.

Are you going to discredit a guy like Bergeron because he plays with two of the best in the game? As his points shot through the roof

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Anyone who’s actually watched the games, mainly only Hawks fans, know that this years Toews is MUCH better than last years, and better than he’s been in any season since pre-2014/15. Not even close.

And this has been the case whether he’s been playing with Kane or not. Has nothing to do with him and Kane being reunited recently. Toews has simply been on another level in all areas of the game(mainly skating, strength on the puck, and playmaking) compared to the guy we’ve seen these past several seasons.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013

Yeah, it has seemed like this to me too. If someone less lazy than me wants to post numbers I'm open to eating crow if I'm wrong, but I'd really like to see some actual evidence for the claims that his production "drastically increased/skyrocketed" since having Kane put on his line. Not only has my eye test not supported that claim, I don't even remember box scores supporting it either. Eye test this year tells me he looks like his old self and has been a beast no matter who he has played with, and it seems like he has been hovering in the general area of PPG all year.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yeah, it has seemed like this to me too. If someone less lazy than me wants to post numbers I'm open to eating crow if I'm wrong, but I'd really like to see some actual evidence for the claims that his production "drastically increased/skyrocketed" since having Kane put on his line. Not only has my eye test not supported that claim, I don't even remember box scores supporting it either. Eye test this year tells me he looks like his old self and has been a beast no matter who he has played with, and it seems like he has been hovering in the general area of PPG all year.
He was doing well before being put on Kanes line. He was on his line off and on before that, but they are in going to do whatever it takes in the midst of a playoff push. I believe it was after their 5 game losing streak and right before that game with the Caps where they scored 8-5, Kane and Toews both contributing to a majority of the points scored.

Before that game, Toews had 42 points in 49 points. Kane had 65 in 48. Toews immediately puts up 19 points in the next 12 games.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
@GreatGonzo just save yourself some dignity and admit that you’ve watched maybe two Hawks games this year and you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Toews’ production is benefitting from Kane but he’s also playing extremely well and it’s a night and day difference from the 2016 and 2017 seasons. You’d know that if you took the time to watch before you post.

You’ve been barking up this tree for 6 years now and it’s just boring at this point.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
@GreatGonzo just save yourself some dignity and admit that you’ve watched maybe two Hawks games this year and you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Toews’ production is benefitting from Kane but he’s also playing extremely well and it’s a night and day difference from the 2016 and 2017 seasons. You’d know that if you took the time to watch before you post.

You’ve been barking up this tree for 6 years now and it’s just boring at this point.

He's still recovering from '10 when Pronger got his ass dumped by Byfuglien and was silent the whole series.

I bet he thinks the Hossa contract cost the flyers a cup that year too.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

jls24

Apr 30, 2013

For the record, Kane's production increased playing with Toews as well. It's almost like playing with better players will increase anyone's production.

Unless you're Saad. Then you are a weirdo that scores the same amount regardless of linemates haha.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

member 151739

This thread about Kane's point streak, not whether Toews is a first line center. Stay on topic.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This thread about Kane's point streak, not whether Toews is a first line center. Stay on topic.
Toews and Kane are a packaged deal TK. You can't talk about one without talking about the other. Just look at their contracts.

And for the record, they are both top liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad