Value of: Patrick Kane

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Will he have that same proud dad nod when Raymond lays out his first cabbie?

Kane has shown last season that he will flex his NTC to ensure he goes to the team he wants. If/when he pulls this with Detroit I hope Yzerman refuses to deal him for anything less than first round value.
well last season he was on a dead last team for most of the year, so yeah I think you would exercise that NTC to go somewhere for the rest of the year and try to win something.

oh, and Idk if he would give the same dad nod if he laid out a cabbie. I don't believe that even matters anymore, but go on and keep harboring over it? Kane is clearly a different person if you compare interviews from 10 years ago and interviews today. People can make mistakes and grow from them. That is literally what jail was intended to accomplish, partly.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Will he have that same proud dad nod when Raymond lays out his first cabbie?

Kane has shown last season that he will flex his NTC to ensure he goes to the team he wants. If/when he pulls this with Detroit I hope Yzerman refuses to deal him for anything less than first round value.

I just love that Kane flexed his NTC one time and you think it's a pattern :laugh:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Panthers will probably be up there in terms of trying to trade for him since they were very interested in signing kane

That being said I don't see a team trading a first for him. 2nd plus mid level prospect imo

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
2nd rounder. He will get his pick of teams that are interested and thus no bidding war.
Always a dumb comment.

He’s going to pick a few teams but those teams won’t compete for him? A PPG player for under $2m when most teams are up against the cap and those teams wont put their best foot forward?

Jets fans hear it all the time PLD got to choose his next home, the Kings looked like they still bid hard for him. Kane was traded at the drop of a track suit, worked out pretty well.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Probably a 2nd/3rd + B/C Prospect.

Kane has a full NTC and isn't going to be sold to the highest bidder, he'll probably have 1-2 Eastern conference teams on his list. Hell, i'm not even sure if Kane wants to go into a deep post-season run if he continues at a PPG pace - I could easily see him wanting to take a full offseason to train and make sure he cashes in this free agency.

That's just it, the guy has 3 cups already so while every player would love to win the cup, its less of a need for him.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
How about Nick Cousins? Everyone hates him even us Panthers fans

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Hoping the Panthers, we were chasing him when he came back. I imagine he would want to join a established playoff team at this point.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Since he has 3 cups already, he's probably not chasing it. Everything he has said about this current Detroit group seems very positive, I think he is happy in his current role, and just looking to see if he can get more money and a longer term to ease him into retirement. I think they'll get it done and he'll play for the Wings again.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Since he has 3 cups already, he's probably not chasing it. Everything he has said about this current Detroit group seems very positive, I think he is happy in his current role, and just looking to see if he can get more money and a longer term to ease him into retirement. I think they'll get it done and he'll play for the Wings again.
Maybe not as much as if he had none, but I would question the motives of a guy who isn't chasing the cup at all.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Maybe not as much as if he had none, but I would question the motives of a guy who isn't chasing the cup at all.

What I mean by that is he's not desperate to chase a contender since he already has his cups. Of course he's a competitor and when the time comes, he'll perform. But it's not a secret that the Wings at this point are a team competing to get into the playoffs, so you have to have realistic expectations. Maybe next year they'll make it and who knows, 3 years down the line they may even be a top team if their young stars reach their potential. But Kane probably sees a young team with a lot of potential to make noise 3 years down the road and he doesn't mind to be part of the ride.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I think it's the opposite, at this point of his career he has his money and it's all about winning. Can't imagine him wanting to stay on a team that's struggling to make the playoffs let alone close to winning a cup.

Reactions: Muffinalt

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
His comments is very positive about his experience with the Redwings. It is too bad the Redwings didn't sign him to a longer term contract this year since apparently he was looking for that but the uncertainty with his hip made it difficult for GMs to offer that.

Now that concern over his hip has subsided it will probably take a longer term contract offer to sign him particularly since he mentioned in the Redwings post season interviews that he hopes to play until he is 40 y.o. (he is 35 now).

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
Detroit offered him peanuts on a prove it deal and he proved it.

Any team that is looking to sign him this summer is probably looking at a multi year deal at 3.5-4 million and am not sure that fits in with the Red Wings.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
From what he's said it doesn't sound like he's staying in Detroit. Jus the way he's talking about his good times with the team he's using the past tense and it seems like he has some idea of where he wants to play next. I could be wrong but I feel like he's moving on. It was fun having him, I would love to keep him around.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
From what he's said it doesn't sound like he's staying in Detroit. Jus the way he's talking about his good times with the team he's using the past tense and it seems like he has some idea of where he wants to play next. I could be wrong but I feel like he's moving on. It was fun having him, I would love to keep him around.
Eh, I think you (and most people in this thread) are drawing too many conclusions from a boilerplate speech in which he didn't say anything of substance. What many people are forgetting is that he pretty much took the highest offer on the table from any team that weren't Buffalo which he thought didn't have a shot at playoffs. Everyone thought he was done, none of the real contenders offered him anywhere close to what Detroit did.

My guess is that he's gonna go to a real contender for the cup next year, but not for peanuts. He's shown that he still got it and should be able to secure a far better deal. My guess would be that it'll be a 1-2 year deal, but with a far higher cap hit then what others are suggesting in this thread.

But that's not based on anything he's said, just what makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad