Value of: Patrick Kane to TOR

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
If the Hawks go in full rebuild mode would they be open to trading Kane (providing he waives NTC)? Would something around Nylander and Sandin be enough to get it done? Chicago gets a good young winger with term and a LHD man who looks like a promising top 4 option. Toronto gets a proven cup winning forward who could slot in beside Matthews or Tavares. What say you HF?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
That seems like reasonable value, but I just can't picture the Hawks trading Kane.

The Leafs problem is still the defensive side, so moving Sandin for more firepower (and more $$$ at forward) doesn't make a ton of sense from a roster-building perspective.

Fun trade tho.

Reactions: REALTALK81

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
That seems like reasonable value, but I just can't picture the Hawks trading Kane.

The Leafs problem is still the defensive side, so moving Sandin for more firepower (and more $$$ at forward) doesn't make a ton of sense from a roster-building perspective.

Fun trade tho.
The Leafs problem is not having a 2nd line LW, the 4th line and goaltending. This narrative that they are a bad defensive team needs to die already, they were one of the best defensive teams by all metrics and the eye-test this season. This is the deepest blue line we've had since I've been watching hockey, not only that there is a real system where the forwards are committed to playing defence.

What we really need is a legitimate #1G. Obviously we can upgrade on defence, but it is not a problem, rather a strength. Also given age/contracts no way in hell should the Leafs move Nylander for Kane, Nylander is on an absolute steal of a contract and much younger.

Reactions: LeafGrief

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What would it take for Chicago to retain?
Too much for the Leafs to have any interest. We’re already giving up a good player on a good contract and a cost controlled young defenseman with upside for a guy with one year left. Patrick Kane is amazing, but now we’re talking about throwing in even more assets for a one year rental. The Leafs are not looking to go all in.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Too much for the Leafs to have any interest. We’re already giving up a good player on a good contract and a cost controlled young defenseman with upside for a guy with one year left. Patrick Kane is amazing, but now we’re talking about throwing in even more assets for a one year rental. The Leafs are not looking to go all in.
Fair enough. Just thought that Kane could drive a line and get us over that hump. I believe the Leafs are far better than their first round exits indicate. Last year we had Montreal on the ropes and they went to the finals. This year we took Tampa to 7 and they cruised past Florida. If we don't go all in now, when do we? If we were to add next year's first and Robertson for them to retain, we could throw this years first to Mrazek to get his contract off our hands. Giving us cap space to resign some players

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Nylander and Sandin+ for Kane and Towes both at 75% retained. Chicago pays Arizona whatever it takes to retain on both contracts. Probably a 2nd. Kane and Towes would be at a 2.6 mil average each.

Or

Nylander, Holl, Mrazek, Knies, Sandin and 28th overall for both at 75% retained.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Nylander and Sandin+ for Kane and Towes both at 75% retained. Chicago pays Arizona whatever it takes to retain on both contracts. Probably a 2nd. Kane and Towes would be at a 2.6 mil average each.

Or

Nylander, Holl, Mrazek, Knies, Sandin and 28th overall for both at 75% retained.
Hawks wouldn’t pay Arizona for extra retention

Reactions: Pertti and zar

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
For the right price they would
If the Hawks would retain 50% of Kane that would leave Toronto with a surplus of 1.676 million. Trade Mrazak with a 1st and you free up another 3.8 million. Leaving the Leafs with 5.46 million in cap space to resign Campbell while improving their chances at a cup run.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Is Kane that much better than Nylander at this point?
I think so. Not by a landslide but he makes his line mates better. Plus his experience would be valuable to the Leafs core. Oh and yeah, if he has 50% retained, we save cap space as well.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
If the Hawks would retain 50% of Kane that would leave Toronto with a surplus of 1.676 million. Trade Mrazak with a 1st and you free up another 3.8 million. Leaving the Leafs with 5.46 million in cap space to resign Campbell while improving their chances at a cup run.
As a Hawks fan I have no interest in acquiring another Nylander, seen his dad and brother play for the team and while the skill is undeniable, so is the lack of consistent effort and willingness to do anything and everything to win.

A trade for Kane in my opinion starts with Knies and a 1st.

I would gladly take Mrazek and the Leafs 1st though to help ease Toronto’s cap crunch.

Reactions: Pertti

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Such a clueless trade proposal. Kane is a great player but does not fit our team with the assets going out.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
As a Hawks fan I have no interest in acquiring another Nylander, seen his dad and brother play for the team and while the skill is undeniable, so is the lack of consistent effort and willingness to do anything and everything to win.

A trade for Kane in my opinion starts with Knies and a 1st.

I would gladly take Mrazek and the Leafs 1st though to help ease Toronto’s cap crunch.
Mrazek can be bought out for an average cost of 1 million per year. There won't be any firsts attached to him at all to dump him.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Mrazek can be bought out for an average cost of 1 million per year. There won't be any firsts attached to him at all to dump him.
Actually according to Puckpedia, the buyout is closer to $1.4m for the next 4 years. Given the Leafs needs just to fill out their roster for next season and the very limited cap space they are dealing with, it seems highly unlikely they buy our Mrazek.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Actually according to Puckpedia, the buyout is closer to $1.4m for the next 4 years. Given the Leafs needs just to fill out their roster for next season and the very limited cap space they are dealing with, it seems highly unlikely they buy our Mrazek.
Like I said it averages out to 1 mill over 4 years. Under 1 mill for the first two and 1.4 for the last two. The leafs will buy him out if they can't move him for a fair cost to the team.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Like I said it averages out to 1 mill over 4 years. Under 1 mill for the first two and 1.4 for the last two. The leafs will buy him out if they can't move him for a fair cost to the team.
No, actually according to Puckpedia it is $1.4m per season, meaning each of the four years they will get hit with a $1.4m buyout charge. This averages out to $1.4m per year, not $1m as you stated.

Also, Mrazek is due $8.6m in actual money/dollars out the door for the next two seasons, not just the $3.8m per year cap hit. His contract is not front loaded like a lot of deals, so some of the usual cash strapped teams like the Arizona State Coyotes may not be as anxious to ”assist” the Leafs with their salary cap concerns.

Considering all of that, a 1st IS probably a fair price to pay for moving Mrazek’s contract. There are probably more then a few owners who will want an even better return for their $8.6m. Remember it wasn’t that long ago during better times that the Leafs gave Carolina a 1st to take the last year of Marleau’s contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Or

you think a team will retain and pay $3M in actual salary ( after bonus money paid) and only get a 2nd. Think again. Deadline deals teams paid $500K and got a 2nd. How much is $3M?

Reactions: zar

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
No, actually according to Puckpedia it is $1.4m per season, meaning each of the four years they will get hit with a $1.4m buyout charge. This averages out to $1.4m per year, not $1m as you stated.

Also, Mrazek is due $8.6m in actual money/dollars out the door for the next two seasons, not just the $3.8m per year cap hit. His contract is not front loaded like a lot of deals, so some of the usual cash strapped teams like the Arizona State Coyotes may not be as anxious to ”assist” the Leafs with their salary cap concerns.

Considering all of that, a 1st IS probably a fair price to pay for moving Mrazek’s contract. There are probably more then a few owners who will want an even better return for their $8.6m. Remember it wasn’t that long ago during better times that the Leafs gave Carolina a 1st to take the last year of Marleau’s contract.
Its 800k for the first two years of the buyout I believe. Either way even if its 1.4 thats much better the giving Chicago a 1st. Just because your team gave away a ton of futures doesn't mean other teams are here to restock Chicago.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Its 800k for the first two years of the buyout I believe. Either way even if its 1.4 thats much better the giving Chicago a 1st. Just because your team gave away a ton of futures doesn't mean other teams are here to restock Chicago.
No they don’t have to give away futures but without doing anything significant this off season they will not be able to ice a team next season that is anywhere close to this past seasons team… a team that got knocked out in round one again.

As for the Hawks giving away future assets, yes they did and they have three cups to show for it. So did Pittsburgh and LA and Tampa and guess what?

But hey boy wonder Dubas has painted himself into a corner, got his team in cap hell, not won a thing, not a single playoff round and yet Leaf fans continue to sing his praises and kis his a**, truly amazing.

At this point, the Leafs are halfway in, they sold a lot of assets. Dumbass has to put the second foot in or prepare himself for more playoff disappointments moving forward and eventually being fired. No point in sitting here half pregnant.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What would be appeal of Nylander to Hawks? He is UFA in 2 years and Hawks are in rebuild

If Hawks move Kane they can retain 50% and can likely get a haul of futures which as rebuilding team is what you would want

Reactions: ToodyG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad