Patrick Kane to possibly appear before Grand Jury

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Blackhawks should get some common sense and get him to train on his own for now instead of making the training camp a circus.

They're professionals, I'm sure they can handle it. They aren't talking to the media on the ice. Spend 30 minutes a day repeating the same answers to the same questions, shouldn't be a problem.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

and now its the same thing after just replace kane with the management

Yup. If we were Kane, his lawyer or the Hawks, we would do the EXACT same thing. There is ZERO upside to answering even one question but a TON of downside.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 3m3 minutes ago
#Blackhawks come off as utterly tone-deaf, with McDonough referring to "golden opportunity" for young players, and Bowman "we play to win."

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 59s60 seconds ago
Did Quenneville just try to make a joke that Brent Seabrook was named new #Blackhawks captain?

:laugh: Sounds like a trainwreck.

Wow, looks like McDonough responded to this as well :laugh:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
im done, i cant listen to non stop questions about kane and the management saying no comment. not the hawks fault

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Why at this point should Kane be away from team and team activities?

He has neither been arrested or charged with a crime

99% for PR reasons.

If he were ever charged, it would be "they let a rapist come to training camp!" etc.

Just seemed like it would be much less of a headache to keep him out of camp.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As far as any case information, absolutely not. But his drinking? Why not reassure people he will be smarter in the future? That he'll grow up a little? That doesn't need to have any relevance to the case at all.

The Blackhawks were being naive to think they could limit this to hockey. The only reason a press conference was even called was because of his current legal matters, and the fact he will be/is at camp. You can't separate the two, because the former is the only reason why it's news.

Statement that he will quit drinking/drink less -> Admission of drinking being an issue -> admission that alcohol may have been a factor in making bad decisions on night in question -> admission of guilt to being a rapist.

Not that it actually says any of that, but people will likely twist it into doing so.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
99% for PR reasons.

If he were ever charged, it would be "they let a rapist come to training camp!" etc.

Their is probably a reason Voynov is going back to Europe and Kane is invited to NHL camp.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
99% for PR reasons.

Innocent till proven guilty. He's not a rapist at this point in time, and may never be. Ridiculous to do that just because of accusations.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Statement that he will quit drinking/drink less -> Admission of drinking being an issue -> admission that alcohol may have been a factor in making bad decisions on night in question -> admission of guilt to being a rapist.

Not that it actually says any of that, but people will likely twist it into doing so.

Then don't have him in the spotlight. Let the organization deflect. Say that they can't comment on the ongoing situation, which I'm sure they're doing right now. But don't put Kane in front of the cameras and the reporters.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Then don't have him in the spotlight. Let the organization deflect. Say that they can't comment on the ongoing situation, which I'm sure they're doing right now. But don't put Kane in front of the cameras and the reporters.

Yeah I mean I think everyone agrees with this.

Kane shouldn't even be at camp, too much of a distraction.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Their is probably a reason Voynov is going back to Europe and Kane is invited to NHL camp.
Well, yes. Voynov has already stood trial.
Innocent till proven guilty. He's not a rapist at this point in time, and may never be. Ridiculous to do that just because of accusations.
Legally, he is not a rapist. But in reality he could be, for all we know.

It's not really ridiculous at all. Would be a matter of minimizing risk.

Aceonfire*

Kane isn't a rapist right now but he certainly is an alleged rapist. Would you open trying camp with an alleged rapist on the team? Or would you wait and see what happens?

Better yet, would you hold a press conference with the alleged rapist there and then tell the media they can't ask him questions about being an alleged rapist?

jford

Apr 21, 2015

It was a trainwreck, but it got it out of the way. Kane is not going to comment on anything related to the investigation, no matter how many times he's asked.

They chose to have him at camp, so he had to be available to the media at some point, and it might as well be the first day.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah I mean I think everyone agrees with this.

Kane shouldn't even be at camp, too much of a distraction.

Probably true. I mean, objectively, I can sort of see both sides. In an ideal world you'd probably have him training away from the team, but making sure he had access to team resources. On the other hand, the Blackhawks probably don't want him to feel alienated at all, and they want him to be ready for the season. It definitely does seem very distracting, but I can see both sides there. My personal feeling is that he should be away from the team.

I just don't understand the press conference. I can't see both sides there. Even if someone wants to assume that the organization is more well-informed regarding the situation, and they feel it will be resolved positively, that doesn't help them now, and I'd even say that is an even better reason to try to keep the focus off Kane and minimize the distractions.

I'm confused, and a little peeved at how it's being handled. That's all. It doesn't seem professional.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why do they have Kane there to ask hockey related questions? Do they seriously think anyone cares about that at this point?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Why at this point should Kane be away from team and team activities?

He has neither been arrested or charged with a crime

Because there's a pending grand jury investigation over his head.

So what if he gets charged in 2 weeks? Then they take him out of the camp? Don't you think this will put even more media pressure on the Hawks? How will his teammates take it if he is taken out of camp? How can this be any good for the young players?

Plus he'll get an earful on the ice during pre season games from the other teams...

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Kane isn't a rapist right now but he certainly is an alleged rapist. Would you open trying camp with an alleged rapist on the team? Or would you wait and see what happens?

Better yet, would you hold a press conference with the alleged rapist there and then tell the media they can't ask him questions about being an alleged rapist?

Assuming there's not something I know of that hasn't yet come out that is damning? And based on what I know he's innocent?

Yeah absolutely. Again, innocent till proven guilty. I'm not going to prevent someone from doing their job because of an accusation. The media seems to be the one making a deal of it, as long as I'm confident the players can go out their and do their jobs (win), it doesn't matter to me.

They can absolutely ask the questions, he just doesn't have to answer.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Assuming there's not something I know of that hasn't yet come out that is damning? And based on what I know he's innocent?

Yeah absolutely. Again, innocent till proven guilty. I'm not going to prevent someone from doing their job because of an accusation. The media seems to be the one making a deal of it, as long as I'm confident the players can go out their and do their jobs (win), it doesn't matter to me.

They can absolutely ask the questions, he just doesn't have to answer.

So what police reports and witness statements have you read?

And he is innocent until proven guilty.But there are many people that lose their jobs for just an accusation like this. And so far here I've not heard anyone suggesting that. Just that he be suspended with pay until it get resolved.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Innocent until proven guilty, just like Mike Richards. To me it just feels like skill trumps circumstance.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

And he is innocent until proven guilty.But there are many people that lose their jobs for just an accusation like this. And so far here I've not heard anyone suggesting that. Just that he be suspended with pay until it get resolved.

I was speaking from the perspective of a GM/Team Owner, as that was the way the question I was answering was phrased.

Those people shouldn't lose their jobs either. It's unfortunate that it happens, doesn't mean the Blackhawks are obligated to abide by that precedent.

RangerRider114

Sep 17, 2014
The Isle of Coney

People who get fired for an allegation usually happens AFTER an arrest and charges are filed. Voynov was suspended after he was arrested. Kane still hasnt been arrested. So why would you suspend him if he hasn't been charged or arrested for anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad