Podcast (Audio) Patrick Johnston interview on NHL Radio Sunday Brunch show

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
For Miller, 6 years @ $7.5m is about the ceiling I'd have. As long as the deal is structured so we can get out of the last couple years without too much pain, I could live with it I guess.

But would still depend on what the best offers on the table are. Still feel if this core becomes a contender, it will be EP driving the forward bus. Would still prefer to add pieces to supplement the core of EP/QH/TD but I could live with that contract. Don't think JTM takes it though, so really imo it's more damage control for the "can't trade our best player" crowd.

As for playoffs, making them this year should absolutely be the expectation. Becoming a contender is a process that first requires being a perennial playoff team. No team goes from being a 10 year doormat right to Cup contender. Look at the Avs, despite the narrative they went from 1OA to Champs in 4,5 years, it really took them over a decade to get to where they are. Even if/when we trade JTM, if this core can't even make the playoffs, another top 10 pick or 2 isn't going to make the difference.

We need to be smart about tweaking the lineup, but the core is mostly in place. We're starting the season with an actual NHL level coach. Anything short of a playoff berth should be considered a failure this season.

Yeah pretty much nailed it for JTM althou I would go to 7.7 for 6 - and I'm pretty sure that would not be enough.

We are one Garland for Carlo trade away from dramatically upgrading the blue line. At some point you have to believe they will get that stud for Quinn to play with (I sure hope so).

And yeah really no reason we should not be aiming for playoffs althou we very may well take a step back if we trade JTM for prospects or guys who might need another year or 2.

I'm banking on management having a pretty good hand on the situation and making a solid deal one way or another. I like that they have been biding their time getting the lay of the land. At some point they are gonna pull the trigger............big game hunting in progress

Reactions: alternate

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Would definitely keep Miller at $7.5m x 6 if the best offers they get for a trade are Chytil + Lundqvist as NYR media would like to have us believe.
I can't imagine Miller would sign that though...?

And yeah, if that's the offer from NYR then I'd wait for someone else to provide a better offer.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
The fact they would even offer $7.5M per year over 6 years is concerning. Re-signing Miller should not even be given consideration.

Yup, it’s crazy especially after Alvin said they would like to keep everyone but sometimes you can’t and have to make the tough decisions.

Tampa dumped Mdonough without breaking a sweat and he was vital to their two cups. We fracking re sign a slow winger in Boeser and offer miller 7.5 for 6 years two players vital in our last and 5th in our weak division? Why was that even offered?!

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Yup, it’s crazy especially after Alvin said they would like to keep everyone but sometimes you can’t and have to make the tough decisions.

Tampa dumped Mdonough without breaking a sweat and he was vital to their two cups. We fracking re sign a slow winger in Boeser and offer miller 7.5 for 6 years two players vital in our last and 5th in our weak division? Why was that even offered?!
If you get JTM signed to $7.5m * 6, you take that and run. The cap is only depressed for 3 more years, after that, escrow will be paid off and we'll be closer to $100m. JT is clearly our best player right now. Bo scores off the rush but he doesn't have the playmaking ability JT has. If we dump our 1C for picks and prospects, that's it for the playoffs imo. Some fans don't care, I want to see this core get some playoff starts.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If you get JTM signed to $7.5m * 6, you take that and run. The cap is only depressed for 3 more years, after that, escrow will be paid off and we'll be closer to $100m. JT is clearly our best player right now. Bo scores off the rush but he doesn't have the playmaking ability JT has. If we dump our 1C for picks and prospects, that's it for the playoffs imo. Some fans don't care, I want to see this core get some playoff starts.
So, keep Miller, trade Bo?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Lol, who thinks they can should get Miller at $45m over 6 years. Go home, you're drunk.
Fixed that for you. $7.5M per is an underpayment for the next two years, an overpayment for the following two years, and a colossal blunder for the final two years.

Miller wants to get paid, as he should. But it shouldn't be the Canucks if they hamstring the team for half a decade.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
So, keep Miller, trade Bo?
Horvat is good on the dot and off the rush, and it's possible he stays for that reason. If I were to chose though, it would be JT Miller. Bo is a bit too individualistic when the chips are down and tries to make it happen himself. Horvat would probably return a good RHD. BB has a more accurate shot than Bo and JT has better puck distribution skills. It's a matter of what we are willing to give up.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
The fact they would even offer $7.5M per year over 6 years is concerning. Re-signing Miller should not even be given consideration.
They want to be able to look into the camera and say they made an offer that they felt was fair. Lots of causal fans will be upset that we traded him and this is them managing the media to make Miller look like the bad guy. I can not see how anyone would think that Miller is going to sign for $7.5 per year much less for the term. My guess is he signs for at least $8.5 and has about 3 good years after the contract starts and from that point on the team has regrets.

We don’t yet know if that was a good move by Tampa, what if it turns out Mcdough was the straw that stirs the drink? It was bold and I think sage, but only time will tell.

Reactions: Indiana

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Horvat is good on the dot and off the rush, and it's possible he stays for that reason. If I were to chose though, it would be JT Miller. Bo is a bit too individualistic when the chips are down and tries to make it happen himself. Horvat would probably return a good RHD. BB has a more accurate shot than Bo and JT has better puck distribution skills. It's a matter of what we are willing to give up.
Contract probably the decider. 28 when it expires. What is he worth and how does he age if the team requires 2-3 years to infuse more talent onto the roster? What’s he like at age 30?

That’s what the team has to determine. Avs fairly easy call to extend Landy after 10 years of his draft in 2021 when they are contending and not waiting a couple of years to do that.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I do hope this is not what the team is actually shooting for - a fringe playoff team with no hope for the cup, no chance for high picks, and a barren wasteland of a farm team.

All for that sweet sweet participation trophy.
To many owners "participation trophy" means success simply because they made money. To them, the bottom line of the ledger, especially in the financial magazines to show off at parties, is what they are after. Its the green not the Stanley that is real trophy.

That said, I used to work for one of the Hicks-Muse family of companies when he owned both the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Stars. On a promo video from them we were forced to watch, the Rangers didn't even get a mention and they kept going on about the Stars with Belfour in full gear in the middle of the photos. I was shocked because here I was sitting in Cali and he'd just paid ARod $200 of the $250m my company just earned for him.

I asked the guy next to me what gives. He said simply, the Stars are champions; the Rangers are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad