Podcast (Audio) Patrick Johnston interview on NHL Radio Sunday Brunch show

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Topics:
BB Contract - he goes on about it for a few minutes, the circumstances surrounding BB etc

JT Miller - Organization does not expect to contend in '23, but they do expect to make playoffs.
Club wants to give JT $45m over 6 years, but JT probably looking at Fiala deal among others.

Kuzmenko expectations - Low risk move, is on an expiring ELC, not much cash upfront. PJ still wants to see if his game can translate over here.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone able to play the interview? I get nothing.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
"Organization does not expect to contend in '23, but they do expect to make playoffs. "

You have GOT to be kidding me.......................
:facepalm:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
9m AAV for Miller over 6 years still doesn't make sense for the team - think that's still posturing. edit: whoops i read 54 lmao my b

"Organization does not expect to contend in '23, but they do expect to make playoffs. "

Basically every team says they want to make the playoffs. "Not contend" is them acknowledging they're not where they want to be...we already knew they weren't going to go full tank because that would mean trading away Hughes/Pettersson/Demko etc.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
9m AAV for Miller over 6 years still doesn't make sense for the team - think that's still posturing.

Basically every team says they want to make the playoffs. "Not contend" is them acknowledging they're not where they want to be...we already knew they weren't going to go full tank because that would mean trading away Hughes/Pettersson/Demko etc.
Given how tight lipped the Canucks front office has been with the coaching hirings and Boeser contract why would people here still live and die on every word of the media?

Reactions: racerjoe and SiZ

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

playoffs at any round means the team/owner makes money. more revenue and lower costs even if it's just two games.
Why do you think Griffiths Sr. was so content with squeaking in year after year?

Reactions: Indiana

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I think there is some PR stuff…you don’t want to go into the heart of the off-season proclaiming we don’t have a chance at playoffs. It affects the return you might be offered in trades and attracting right priced free agents.

On the other hand if it is more than PR then you have to imagine they have a plan they want to execute to get them there. I say this because it’s been pretty clear that management did not like what they saw last year nearly as much as the bulk of the fan base did. They had an accurate assessment of the team IMO. I doubt that has gone out the window.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
We expect to make the playoffs by running roughshod over Demko with 65 Starts

If Boudreau doesnt injure demko like he did last season, watch out everyone.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Club wants to give JT $45m over 6 years, but JT probably looking at Fiala deal among others.
If they did that they would lose all the credibility. They are starting off fresh until they back tracking on what they say.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
JT Miller - Organization does not expect to contend in '23, but they do expect to make playoffs.
6 years for a 30 year old forward at $7.5m per season? Where could that go wrong?
Going into a contract year has got to keep him motivate. Send him packing at the deadline whether we are squeaking into the playoffs or not when he has the most value to a contender willing to overpay.

Reactions: Indiana and Fatass

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
playoffs at any round means the team/owner makes money. more revenue and lower costs even if it's just two games.
Why do you think Griffiths Sr. was so content with squeaking in year after year?

I do hope this is not what the team is actually shooting for - a fringe playoff team with no hope for the cup, no chance for high picks, and a barren wasteland of a farm team.

All for that sweet sweet participation trophy.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Why is this not merged into the media thread? Anyway...

Hope mgmt just has the balls to come out and say "if we make the playoffs, great. But it's not the be all, end all as the long term focus is more important".

That starts with trading Miller. End of.

Sick of this BS of being mediocre and trying to fix on the fly.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I do hope this is not what the team is actually shooting for - a fringe playoff team with no hope for the cup, no chance for high picks, and a barren wasteland of a farm team.

All for that sweet sweet participation trophy.
Has the media shown over the past few months that they have any true insight into how the front office operates? Nothing leaks from JR and Allvin so far. So I doubt this $9 mill AAV over 6 years for Miller is legit.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Has the media shown over the past few months that they have any true insight into how the front office operates? Nothing leaks from JR and Allvin so far. So I doubt this $9 mill AAV over 6 years for Miller is legit.

I hope you're right. Because if this management thinks they can bamboozle the fans by brandishing a shelf full of participation trophies, it's not gonna end well.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
For Miller, 6 years @ $7.5m is about the ceiling I'd have. As long as the deal is structured so we can get out of the last couple years without too much pain, I could live with it I guess.

But would still depend on what the best offers on the table are. Still feel if this core becomes a contender, it will be EP driving the forward bus. Would still prefer to add pieces to supplement the core of EP/QH/TD but I could live with that contract. Don't think JTM takes it though, so really imo it's more damage control for the "can't trade our best player" crowd.

As for playoffs, making them this year should absolutely be the expectation. Becoming a contender is a process that first requires being a perennial playoff team. No team goes from being a 10 year doormat right to Cup contender. Look at the Avs, despite the narrative they went from 1OA to Champs in 4,5 years, it really took them over a decade to get to where they are. Even if/when we trade JTM, if this core can't even make the playoffs, another top 10 pick or 2 isn't going to make the difference.

We need to be smart about tweaking the lineup, but the core is mostly in place. We're starting the season with an actual NHL level coach. Anything short of a playoff berth should be considered a failure this season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
$7.5m over 6 = $45m Someone higher up in the thread flipped $45m for $54m.

Reactions: alternate

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

$9m @ 6 years = $54m. The quote said $45m, or $7.5m per. It's doable if you ignore that Miller isn't going to take that to stay here, and how the return in a trade could help set us up for those 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad