Recalled/Assigned: Patrick Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Patrick Brown... Why not Kuokk, Saarela or Necas?
One year two-way contract for a 26 years old guy with $100k minors salary and $190k guaranteed salary. Is a pending UFA.

Patrick Brown - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They will be paying the extra $90k anyway so might as well play him up in the N for its worth, take a look at him now that the call-ups don't yet count against the post-TDL limit, and if not anything else let him showcase himself a bit to any interested taker.

Zykov too got a cup of coffee in the spring when his ELC was ending. Maybe it's a company policy to reward loyal toiling (see: Jorge Alves). He has re-signed as a pending group 6 UFA in June a couple times already and been 5 years in the organization. I don't know if his age is becoming a problem for the AHL usage from now on.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
RBA or someone in the organization must have a strong dislike for Saarela. He got sent down early during camp for lack of effort/conditioning, but he's caught fire lately. I hope he gets a look at some point this season. I recall he got called up last year for like a day, but he didn't sniff the ice...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
RBA or someone in the organization must have a strong dislike for Saarela. He got sent down early during camp for lack of effort/conditioning, but he's caught fire lately. I hope he gets a look at some point this season. I recall he got called up last year for like a day, but he didn't sniff the ice...

Feels like another Zykov situation where Saarela's skillset isn't a "fit" for Rod. IIRC Saarela and Poturalski are the only interesting names that become waiver eligible next year. I just hope that Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Roy, Geekie, etc. don't all end up going to same way because the guys getting callups are all the same type of player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Feels like another Zykov situation where Saarela's skillset isn't a "fit" for Rod. IIRC Saarela and Poturalski are the only interesting names that become waiver eligible next year. I just hope that Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Roy, Geekie, etc. don't all end up going to same way because the guys getting callups are all the same type of player.

I think the "fit" narrative probably needs to die now that Zykov was waived again and is struggling with his 3rd team. It's probably more that he's not good enough. Edmonton, who really has only 3 quality forwards, waived him after no points in 5 games. He's been sporadically in LV's line-up and has 1 goal in 6 games.

I'm not saying he won't find a spot in the NHL, but he's not a good skater and "if" he's not a high effort guy on top of that, his options will be limited. He's got a big body and some good hands in tight, but if he can't get there in time and can't help out defensively, he'll have a tough go.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think the "fit" narrative probably needs to die now that Zykov was waived again and is struggling with his 3rd time. It's probably more that he's not good enough. Edmonton, who really has only 3 quality forwards, waived him after no points in 5 games. He's been sporadically in LV's line-up and has 1 goal in 6 games.

I'm not saying he won't find a spot in the NHL, but he's not a good skater and "if" he's not a high effort guy on top of that, his options will be limited. He's got a big body and some good hands in tight, but if he can't get there in time and can't help out defensively, he'll have a tough go.

My "fit" comment comes directly from Tulsky. He was asked earlier this year why Zykov wasn't given a greater opportunity as a scorer and he said that he didn't believe Zykov was unworthy, just that he was a poor fit for the roster that Rod was cultivating. IMO it is worth asking whether that applies to Saarela as well who stylistically is similar.

Zykov is long gone and clearly he wasn't any kind of solution. I'm speaking to our current prospect pool.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So Ferland is so questionable for tomorrow that...

I hope we move him soon. If we keep him as an own rental, we will regret it. I’d take 2nd at this point if he is not going to play after every fight he has.

Patrick Brown?

tenor.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My "fit" comment comes directly from Tulsky. He was asked why Zykov wasn't given a greater opportunity as a scorer and he said that he didn't believe Zykov was unworthy, just that he was a poor fit for the roster that Rod was cultivating. Zykov is long gone and clearly he wasn't any kind of solution. I'm speaking to our current prospect pool.

I understand. Zykov is slow, not good defensively, and basically in Charlotte was good on the PP. My point is that it's not just what Rod is cultivating, it's where the NHL is going. You need to have speed and you either need to be great offensively or you better be solid in both ends on the ice to get ice time. Unless you are an elite talent, you can't afford to take plays off or you will get burned. This isn't unique to Rod IMO, which is why Zykov didn't cut it in Edmonton and is struggling to get ice time in LV as well. It's why guys like Spooner, who is clearly a talented offensive player, is currently a cap dump as well.

If Gauthier, Saarela, or (insert prospect here) thinks that they can get by on talent alone and not give the effort needed on both ends of the ice, they'll struggle to find a home on any NHL team.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
If we were out of it I would think we would have seen one of Saarela, Kuokkanen, Necas (depending on how management feels about the slide/ expansion draft protection), or Gauthier get the call up. I think we'd spread the talent on the current top 2 lines out over 3 lines to give these prospects some offensive talent to play with. With the way things are, only a few spots out of the playoffs, they are keeping the talent optimized at the top of the lineup which doesn't really open up a spot for any of the guys mentioned above.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I understand. Zykov is slow, not good defensively, and basically in Charlotte was good on the PP. My point is that it's not just what Rod is cultivating, it's where the NHL is going. You need to have speed and you either need to be great offensively or you better be solid in both ends on the ice to get ice time. Unless you are an elite talent, you can't afford to take plays off or you will get burned. This isn't unique to Rod IMO, which is why Zykov didn't cut it in Edmonton and is struggling to get ice time in LV as well. It's why guys like Spooner, who is clearly a talented offensive player, is currently a cap dump as well.

If Gauthier, Saarela, or (insert prospect here) thinks that they can get by on talent alone and not give the effort needed on both ends of the ice, they'll struggle to find a home on any NHL team.

Of course the guys have to skate fast and compete. I don't think anyone is worried about that. Our AHLers are in even better hands with Velucci than the Canes are with Rod.

I speak to a systemic decision with Zykov which appears to be occurring at present with Saarela. Running out the waiver eligibility clock and letting a guy sink or swim on a team designed more to the strengths of Saku Maenalanen and Greg McKegg. It seems like you were itching for someone to mention Zykov to go off on a tangent rant. Nobody cares about Zykov as a player anymore.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Of course the guys have to skate fast and compete. I don't think anyone is worried about that. Our AHLers are in even better hands with Velucci than the Canes are with Rod.

I speak to a systemic decision with Zykov which appears to be occurring at present with Saarela. Running out the waiver eligibility clock and letting a guy sink or swim on a team designed more to the strengths of Saku Maenalanen and Greg McKegg. It seems like you were itching for someone to mention Zykov to go off on a tangent rant. Nobody cares about Zykov as a player anymore.

LOL. No, I just disagree with your narrative about a "systemtic decision" and stated why. For years we lamented that guys (Boychuk, Dalpe, POS, etc...) just weren't getting chances vs. guys like LaRose, Dwyer, etc. The real issue is that they just weren't good enough and/or didn't want to put in the work to be a successful NHL player. Same goes for Zykov.

I'm higher on Saarela than I was on Zykov and would like to see him get a chance. If he can shows and ability to score and contribute on both ends of the ice, he'll have a spot. If he can't, he'll be in Europe shortly.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

This is not happening yet to Saarela (though it did for Zykov). Having signed his ELC at 19, he's exempt 4 years from his signing (June 2016) or until he got 160 NHL games played.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Aleksi Saarela, if my information is correct, has two years (after this one) of waiver exempt status. He is neither a skating challenged player, nor has he been accused of not putting in the effort. In fact, he's plays with a bit of an edge. He's a pure sniper who isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. I don't think he's in anybody's dog house. I think they've determined that he's best served playing big minutes in a Top 6 capacity in Charlotte as opposed to toiling 8 minutes a night on a 4th line. Also, that team is playing for a big post-season run, again, something that will inculcate a winning attitude in a young player. He's perfect for over-ripening. We have 7 forwards (not counting Aho) signed for next season. He will have a solid chance of fighting for a roster spot next season.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If it's just one or two games, I get it. Brown has been up with the Canes and played viable, utilitarian minutes. He might not impress, but he's not going to go out there and piss his pants either. The devil you know, and all that.

Reactions: HankAnger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad