WEEI Patrice Bergeron, David Backes miss practice, making both questionable for season opener

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Patrice Bergeron, David Backes miss practice, making both questionable for season opener

TY ANDERSON

Judging from Wednesday's practice at TD Garden, the Bruins could very well begin their season without three of their top talents on Thursday night.

With Torey Krug (jaw) skating on a de facto fourth defensive pairing with seventh defenseman Paul Postma, it was the absences that glared brighter than Krug’s red no-contact jersey (meaning he’s unlikely to play tomorrow), as both Patrice Bergeron (lower-body) and David Backes (illness) missed practice.

In the case of Backes, this was the Bruins simply telling him to stay away from the team to avoid spreading whatever sickness he may have. It's the same logic they've applied to forward Austin Czarnik, who missed the last few days of training camp and will begin his year on the big league club's injured reserve because of a nasty virus, too.

But Bergeron's issues go beyond a sickness, and the Black and Gold are doing their part to monitor what they can.

“Not much new; He’s day-to-day, didn’t skate today,” Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy said of Bergeron following the rare practice at the Garden. “We would rather him take the extra day [off], do whatever we can to get him ready for tomorrow, and if that means some time off today that’s fine. We’ll have a better idea in the morning, obviously.”

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
C3XF9LHWYAI1dzQ.jpg

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
If Bergy can't go that will put a big damper on the opener for me. This team has had pretty poor luck with injuries recently.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
If Bergy can't go that will put a big damper on the opener for me. This team has had pretty poor luck with injuries recently.
His next game will be his 900th career game. Home opener would be a good game for that. Hope he is able to go.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bergeron out is a game changer

How the heck did he get hurt already

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Bergeron out is a game changer

How the heck did he get hurt already
He's over 30 and on the downhill side. He's been in steady decline for two seasons now. As I said in another thread, he's Dustin Pedroia on the Bruins. Great players on the slippery downhill slope.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Three -OF- our top players, for sure. Three of our core, yeah. But these aren't our three best. Bergeron, yes, that's a big hit, and if it's his sports hernia acting up (I don't 100% believe him when he denies it), we're going to hurt big time if he misses.

But Krug and Backes are a different story. Krug has a reasonable ETA, and he's not even our best defenseman. Yes, he's important on the PP, but I'd actually be more worried with a Chara or Carlo injury. Plus, there's a slight bright side - we get to see Grz, which gives a better idea as to whether he should stay, or be swapped out for O'Gara next time.

And Backes is on our third line...yes, he could probably hit the second line of quite a few NHL teams, and I'm thankful for that. But Krejci, Pasta, Bergeron, and Marchand are way above him on my "forward depth chart". Yes, apples to oranges considering center/wing to a degree, but...still. And it's temporary.

And, frankly, none of those even come close to Rask being out. And all things considering, if you're going to be injured, the COL-COL-VGK-ARI stretch is where you want to be down. We still have a chance.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
For what it's worth, from McDonald on BSJ:

"Bergeron, who had offseason surgery to repair a sports hernia, said his current injury is not related. His longtime linemate believes Bergeron will be in the lineup on Thursday.
“He’s like Superman, he’ll play through anything,” Marchand said."

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
For what it's worth, from McDonald on BSJ:

"Bergeron, who had offseason surgery to repair a sports hernia, said his current injury is not related. His longtime linemate believes Bergeron will be in the lineup on Thursday.
“He’s like Superman, he’ll play through anything,” Marchand said."

I'd rather Superman sit out a game or two and be healthy for the entire season than play injured for 90 games again. The last thing I wanted was for him to start the season injured again...

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
We all bellyache about athletes beginning to decline in their 30s. There is a very good reason for this decline as men's bodies being the change metabolism changes recovery time changes and hormonal secretion changes. Often will see an athlete appear to begin to decline maybe encounter a couple of seasons of injuries, some never recover and continue to decline; others identify the problems and will have a bounce back year and continue to play well late into the 30s or longer.
The key for anyone and athletes in particular is to identify the changes that have taken place and to use proper diet, exercise, and yes supplementation to help bring them back to where they want be. I know the Bruins have conditioning coaches but I don't know if they have nutritional and supplementation advisors as training without proper diet and supplementation is not going to help them compensate for what their bodies are naturally lacking.
Personally I don't like Pharmaceuticals I prefer an all-natural approach to diet and supplementation. I truly believe that with proper nutritional advice careers and general well-being can be extended for many many years. I hope the Bruins have a good holistic nutrition advisor as I believe this would help reduce recovery time and injuries as well as prolong playing careers.

Reactions: DKH

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'd rather Superman sit out a game or two and be healthy for the entire season than play injured for 90 games again.
From what Cassidy said in the same article, sounds like he kind of has the same mindset about the older guys taking time off, at least from practice.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Bergeron should sit until he's 100%. No reason to rush and have him out longer.

Let him heal, he'll be much more effective if they do.

Reactions: DKH

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We all bellyache about athletes beginning to decline in their 30s. There is a very good reason for this decline as men's bodies being the change metabolism changes recovery time changes and hormonal secretion changes. Often will see an athlete appear to begin to decline maybe encounter a couple of seasons of injuries, some never recover and continue to decline; others identify the problems and will have a bounce back year and continue to play well late into the 30s or longer.
The key for anyone and athletes in particular is to identify the changes that have taken place and to use proper diet, exercise, and yes supplementation to help bring them back to where they want be. I know the Bruins have conditioning coaches but I don't know if they have nutritional and supplementation advisors as training without proper diet and supplementation is not going to help them compensate for what their bodies are naturally lacking.
Personally I don't like Pharmaceuticals I prefer an all-natural approach to diet and supplementation. I truly believe that with proper nutritional advice careers and general well-being can be extended for many many years. I hope the Bruins have a good holistic nutrition advisor as I believe this would help reduce recovery time and injuries as well as prolong playing careers.
I believe they do have a nutritionist on staff. And Bergeron and Chara, at least, are pretty well known to stay on a pretty strict diet.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's over 30 and on the downhill side. He's been in steady decline for two seasons now. As I said in another thread, he's Dustin Pedroia on the Bruins. Great players on the slippery downhill slope.
They are all on the downside over 30

He looked pretty good to me final 41 games playing with a sports hernia

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I believe they do have a nutritionist on staff. And Bergeron and Chara, at least, are pretty well known to stay on a pretty strict diet.

It's good that they have a nutrionist, yet I would like to know if that person is into holistic supplementation as a lot of time diet by itself cannot replenish certain body needs. Just wondering.

For example, not directly sports-related but pine pollen and nettle root are too great supplements that men over 30 should take just to ensure proper prostate health and maintain testosterone levels as well as other health benefits. If a man is experiencing libido problems these two supplements working together can do wonders.
Pine pollen is considered a superfood as it has so many health benefits where as nettle root is considered better than saw pimento because how it works to fight against estrogen particularly affecting the prostate.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The numbers don't support this.

From his last 2 seasons:

2015-16 80 32-36=68 +12
2016-17 79 21-32=53 +12

From the 2 season prior:

2013-14 80 32-30=62 +38
2014-15 81 23-32=55 +2

3 years Selke winner, other year 2nd

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That would be extremely important and an excellent point if it were true. Unfortunately for you, as others have shown already, it's not. Therefore your point is pretty much in line with most of your posts in your HF Boards career -- I.e. Essentially just plain fictitious. Need to pick up your game -- wish we had a GM that could consider waiving you.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

What a brutal take. Steady decline the past two years?

2016-2017: 79 GP -- 21G -- 32A -- 53 PTS
2015-2016: 80 GP -- 32G -- 36A -- 68 PTS

What the f*** are you watching? You do realize he dealt with a sports hernia last year, right? Nah....Let's be honest, you didn't. I'll keep my eye out for your posts from now on. From what I've seen they're usually negative and false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad