Patric Hornqvist

g3ryder

Nov 24, 2006
California
I've always appreciated a guy like Hornqvist who puts his butt in front of the net and takes a beating to get the job done. I just wanted to get a hometown fan's perspective on him. What do you guys think?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
was inconsistent to invisible at times this year, came on strong late to top 20 goals again

is one of the guys that makes our PP serviceable, and has a nose for the puck near the net, but has limited skill as far as shooting/skating/puck handling

when he does what he does best, i.e. hang around the net looking for rebounds, he's usually very effective

Last edited:

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
Very good, very hardworking player who was selected very last pick in the draft. Not the most talented player (obviously given his draft position), but tough as nails and a guy every team would love to have and scores goals. I think several folks on this board expect him to be somethink he's not, that being a highly-skilled offensive playmaker. He's our version of Tomas Holmstrom basically.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Probably has more heart than the rest of the team combined. Good cheerleader on the bench. Gives everything he has on every shift, but doesn't get rewarded as much as he could/should. One of the hardest workers. That's why he wears an "A".

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Very good, very hardworking player who was selected very last pick in the draft. Not the most talented player (obviously given his draft position), but tough as nails and a guy every team would love to have and scores goals. I think several folks on this board expect him to be somethink he's not, that being a highly-skilled offensive playmaker. He's our version of Tomas Holmstrom basically.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on him.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Would not mind if we could have another guy that goes to the net the same amount of minutes Horni does. Goose plays that area but his minutes are less than. Its just makes sense having Weber, Josi and Ellis blasting a guy there to clean up more often would help this team. Recall Tomas Holmstrom seem like that guy was on the ice all the time and he made a career putting his big butt in the goalies face. So anything that can increase the goals this team scores the better.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He gets deductions for not scoring "pretty" goals. His numbers ended up decent for the year, but he seemed awfully invisible, statistically, for a good stretch during the season. Agree with Byrd that I wish we had more guys that would play the front of the net like he does, it's just a logical style considering the point strength we have.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He gets deductions for not scoring "pretty" goals. His numbers ended up decent for the year, but he seemed awfully invisible, statistically, for a good stretch during the season. Agree with Byrd that I wish we had more guys that would play the front of the net like he does, it's just a logical style considering the point strength we have.
I think that's where we failed this season with Bourque. I think Bourque has that ability and in the lock-out year he played that role when Hornqvist went down. I'd like to see him used that way more.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
A definite top-two liner who makes/will make skill players better by cleaning up their rebounds. He would be a key component of a revitalized Pred offense.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think that's where we failed this season with Bourque. I think Bourque has that ability and in the lock-out year he played that role when Hornqvist went down. I'd like to see him used that way more.

Good call. Agreed.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN

I think he would be much more effective if he had a play-maker or two with him.
Depending on Horny/Fish/Bourque to bring it up or create offense is trouble.....

Other than that, I think his strengths have already been pointed out well.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Once Trotz paired Horny with Fisher and Cullen his production went sky high. Horny is one of our best forwards and while he isn't going to drive a line to play better he does all the little things that matter. His effort level is simply unmatched and is very consistant. I love that he is signed long term and hope he can hold the cup up in our uniform one day.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
It seemed earlier in the season, Hornqvist was not playing his bread and butter, camping out in front of the net. It seemed like he was trying to change his game (or had been asked to make a change) and he basically disappeared. Second half of the season I started to notice him in front of the paint a lot more and he started rattling off the points. No doubt the line up change helped as well.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The issue stems back to last year. I think he may not have completely recovered from his injuries in 2013, and it spilled over to this year. As I pointed out in the GPT thread, a healthy 2012 Hornqvist would have led the team in goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad