Pat Stapleton

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
To those who saw him play, what memories do you have of him? I've read some glowing reviews of his play at both ends of the ice, and especially his ability to break up plays in all three zones. He put up big points as well, finishing behind only Bobby Orr in defensive scoring over the course of his career (and he maintained that pace in the playoffs, with a number of notable runs).

He was an NHL Second Team all-star on 3 occasions, and had another two Allstar selections in the WHA, including best defenseman in 1974. I find we tend to completely ignore WHA accomplishments (I'm guilty of it too), but it at least shows that he was a great defenseman there as well. Does anyone think he'd have gotten Hall of Fame consideration if he'd stayed in the NHL? Would his all-star placings in the WHA have equated to perhaps another 2nd team selection in the NHL (which would have made him pretty hard to ignore), or was it a case of a veteran leaving for an easier league at the right time in his career?

Last edited:

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Stapleton & White:

Watching Pat & Bill White play Defense as a pair was always a Gas!! Innovative, very mobile, quite effective...Pat Stapleton had entered the NHL with the Bruins in the midst of Re-construction & was sent to the minors for being considered too small! What a Major Gaffe!!:shakehead

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Whether his first team all-star selection in the WHA would have translated had he stayed in the NHL is a good question.. Stapleton's last two second team selections came ahead of guys like J.C. Tremblay, Dallas Smith, Ted Harris, Gary Bergman, Keith Magnuson, Rod Seiling, and Bob Baun - solid players no doubt but relatively weak competition compared to what he would have faced in '74 - Guy Lapointe and Borje Salming just missed the cut. That said, he would have had to beat out Barry Ashbee for the last spot on the all-star team so I imagine it's possible.

I know the HHOF doesn't really weigh WHA seasons all that much but Stapleton has a stronger resume than some of the more borderline defencemen in the Hall, and while he doesn't have the longevity there isn't really much separating him from someone like Allan Stanley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad