Speculation: Pat Maroon working on extension with Oilers

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
$3.25X4 if we wanna keep the cap hit low. I don't see him taking $3.5x3, he could do a lot better in free agency and he knows it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'd hope he finds the appeal in a 3-3.25M x 3 year type of deal. He certainly could get some extra money somewhere else, but he must know the most likely future in that is him not living up to the deal and struggling for the term. His chemistry so far with McDavid is one of those rare fluky things that just works, however unlikely it seemed when he joined the team. He could ride that out to some degree for a few more years still, making very good money (although less than he could get), and have a real chance to be a big part of doing something special in Edmonton.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Pray for the McDavid discount? Kind of a tricky situation for Maroon. He probably won't get paid as much as he's worth if he stays, but will likely produce much better here than anywhere else. So does he test the free agent market now and go for the immediate payday? Or does he play here for three or four more years, build a bigger resume, and then leave to get paid ?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Anything more then 3.5 oilers should trade him for other assets. We are going to be tight against the cap next season

Not that it helps us keep everyone, but isn't there speculation put out by Friedman of the league already discussing an 80mill cap for next season?

PS. First post back since the change. I really really truly don't like this new format.

Reactions: kurtcobang

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I have it from a very credible source that Maroon recently purchased a new home in Edmonton (from one of his new neighbors) - perhaps some sort of discount deal is imminent?

Reactions: NeverForget06

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Pray for the McDavid discount? Kind of a tricky situation for Maroon. He probably won't get paid as much as he's worth if he stays, but will likely produce much better here than anywhere else. So does he test the free agent market now and go for the immediate payday? Or does he play here for three or four more years, build a bigger resume, and then leave to get paid ?

Lol. This is his big payday. 3 or 4 years from now he'll be too old to make more than 2 million.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sooo kinda hoping there isn't an extension in place yet because he's a dumpster fire and taking up space on McDavid's line.

I fully expect to get flamed for this but I think Chia should've traded him in the off-season and see if someone bit on his career year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm still okay with him getting extended, but based on his career averages, not his career year. He should be making around 2.5-3/year, and not a penny more. Even that might be a slight over-payment, but it would be livable.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Thankfully Chia didn't rush into this. I have always though he is a pour player with a poor attitude. He seems to be proving me right lately.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maroon started slowly last year too. 2 points in 10 games. Although to be fair he wasn't on the top line with McDavid during that stretch.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm still okay with him getting extended, but based on his career averages, not his career year. He should be making around 2.5-3/year, and not a penny more. Even that might be a slight over-payment, but it would be livable.

I've pointed this out before, probably even in this thread, but Maroon point production last year is not remotely out of character for his career.

He's been a full time NHLer for 4 seasons. Last year he put up 42 points. In 2 of the other 3 seasons he scored at a 40 point pace as well. The big difference between last year and his other seasons scoring at that rate is that he obviously scored way more goals. His assist totals were way down though.

He's probably not going to repeat his 27 goals from last year, but there's no reason to think he can't repeat the 40 points. Now the question of course is what is a 40 point player worth? Both to the Oilers and on the open market.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's not doing himself any favors with his play. I'm at the point that I'm not sure that I'd pay him a dime over $3 million for more than 3 years. I'd sign him to a deal that has the expectation that he'll end up on our 3rd line shortly.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Still mad at him for flubbing the breakaway chance that would've made it a tie game against the Canes.
Current mood: trade for future considerations

He's always been streaky and will still pot 20 this year.
Future mood: love me the Big Rig, 3x3 contract extension

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would extend him 2.5M to play on the 3rd line with Strome and Kassian if the Oilers do indeed move RNH for Patches. This also gives us the option if Patches goes cold in the playoffs, we can move Maroon up to the top line

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've pointed this out before, probably even in this thread, but Maroon point production last year is not remotely out of character for his career.

He's been a full time NHLer for 4 seasons. Last year he put up 42 points. In 2 of the other 3 seasons he scored at a 40 point pace as well. The big difference between last year and his other seasons scoring at that rate is that he obviously scored way more goals. His assist totals were way down though.

He's probably not going to repeat his 27 goals from last year, but there's no reason to think he can't repeat the 40 points. Now the question of course is what is a 40 point player worth? Both to the Oilers and on the open market.

Agree. My comment was in reference to his goal scoring. His point production was roughly in line with expectations.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Yah I don't see him giving up UFA and re-signing for anything under 3million... no matter how poor of a start he's had so far this year.

Maroon seems to be a better player when he's more engaged physically... like after he gets into a fight. If he doesn't turn things around soon, he should get into a scrap.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
deserves Kassian money..nothing more..
Will get a lot more so I hope we simply walk away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad