Pat Lafontaine VS Mark Messier

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I know Mark Messier had a way better career but Witch of these 2 players would you choose in their prime.

here are their best season

Pat Lafontaine GP-84 G-54 A-95 POINTS-148

Mark Messier GP-79 G-45 A-84 POINTS-129

feel free to explain your choice!

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The best thing I can say for Lafontaine in this comparison is, at his absolute peak, he was a better offensive player than Mark Messier. Prime (best 3-6 seasons)? I would take Messier offensively and overall.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I like Pat Lafontaine. He was a really good player and a class act (proven again when he resigned from the circus in Long Island in protest).

But this one is Messier and it is not close.

Messier had offensive ability approaching Lafontaines and a much better all around game. His intimidation during his prime alone makes him better overall.

Messier was kind of like Pronger now. Tough, mean, and you never knew when he'd fly off the handle.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He was a dynamic talent (Lafontaine) in his prime but I have to go with Messier on this one. Hard to overlook a peak Messier (lets say 1990) with all he would bring to the table for Lafontaine and only the offense he brought to the table.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
well, let's see. the 2nd or 3rd most complete player ever or a top 10 offensive talent of his era. pretty hard choice. its like who's better, Gordie Howe or Dave Keon?

the Moose is your template for the hockey specimen. If you could genetically design a hockey player with both physical gifts and entangibles it would be Mark Messier.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Lafontaine's big season coincides with the Senators dismal 10 win and 24 point debut campaign. I wonder how many games the Sabres played the Sens that season and how many points Lafontaine padded to his stats thanks to those easy games.

Messier in a walk.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lafontaine's big season coincides with the Senators dismal 10 win and 24 point debut campaign. I wonder how many games the Sabres played the Sens that season and how many points Lafontaine padded to his stats thanks to those easy games.

Messier in a walk.

14 points in 7 games. So 2 PPG, which isn't too much more than his season average of 1.76 PPG.

I think people tend to overrate the effect of San Jose and Ottawa on that season as they want a reason as to why so many players had great seasons, but I think more than not it was just the perfect storm of a bunch of great players staying healthy and having great years in their prime. I mean, if you look at the names, there's a lot of hall of fame or borderline players there.

That said, when you look at everything Messier brought along with a similar high level of scoring, it's a pretty easy choice.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005

Messier in a walk.
hockey summary project now has the '93 season.

lafontaine's '93 scoring by opponent:

9 games vs hartford: 7g, 6a
7 games vs boston: 1g, 7a
7 games vs ottawa: 7g, 7a
7 games vs montreal: 6g, 5a
7 games vs quebec: 3g, 8a
4 games vs NJ: 3g, 4a
4 games vs pittsburgh: 2g, 4a
4 games vs washington: 2g, 3a
3 games vs NYI: 2g, 1a
3 games vs philadelphia: 1g, 3a
3 games vs NYR: 7a
3 games vs vancouver: 2g, 2a
2 games vs chicago: 2g, 4a
2 games vs SJ: 2g, 6a
2 games vs DRW: 3g, 3a
2 games vs TML: 1g, 4a
2 games vs minnesota: 1g, 1a
2 games vs winnipeg: 1g, 7a
2 games vs edmonton: 2g, 2a
2 games vs calgary: 3g, 1a
2 games vs STL: 4a
2 games vs LAK: 1g, 2a
2 games vs TBL: 1g, 4a

i just realized that it would have been much faster to look at split stats on hockey-reference.com. :help:

HSP seems to have disparity with hockey-reference. i counted 7g, 7a vs hartford, but hockey-reference has 7g, 6a. i also counted 149p instead of 148.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
14 points in 7 games. So 2 PPG, which isn't too much more than his season average of 1.76 PPG.

I think people tend to overrate the effect of San Jose and Ottawa on that season as they want a reason as to why so many players had great seasons, but I think more than not it was just the perfect storm of a bunch of great players staying healthy and having great years in their prime. I mean, if you look at the names, there's a lot of hall of fame or borderline players there.

That said, when you look at everything Messier brought along with a similar high level of scoring, it's a pretty easy choice.

if you take out the ottawa games and prorate his numbers in the other 77 games to 84, lafontaine scores 50 goals, and 146 points. he would actually end up with one more assist than he had that season.

he would still have finished ahead of oates for second in the league. and of course oates played in the same division and feasted on the sens too (2 goals, 11 assists, 13 points in 7 games).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
if you take out the ottawa games and prorate his numbers in the other 77 games to 84, lafontaine scores 50 goals, and 146 points. he would actually end up with one more assist than he had that season.

he would still have finished ahead of oates for second in the league. and of course oates played in the same division and feasted on the sens too (2 goals, 11 assists, 13 points in 7 games).

Yea, even if players take advantage of some of the lesser teams in the league, the amount of games is too small to make that much of a difference, and the sample size is too small to even really make any conclusions. It's just like when people claim Ovechkin benefits so much from playing in the southeast, and yet Crosby was the one who scored more points within his division (mostly because he ate up the Islanders). In the end, I don't think it matters too much.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Messier is the clear choice, without question.

I feel we never got to see Lafontaine hit his true stride. He showed flashes around a few injuries. His time in Buffalo was really where he found himself, having and elite winger and second line center really helped. Few years earlier he may have been apart of the NYI dynasty.

His junior years were insane.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

Messier in a walk.

So you're basically saying you we're not watching hockey during that time. Ok.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lol... there's also the fact that every other player would have enjoyed similar advantages, and he outscored them all except Mario.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00