Pat LaFontaine Versus Alex Mogilny

Who was better?

• Total voters

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Mogilny career wise. Lafontaine peak.

People are going to look at the straight numbers and Lafontaine’s 91-93 run, but Mogilny lead the league with 72 goals and then put up a couple dominate seasons in Toronto in the dead puck era along with actually being on two Stanley Cup Finalists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Mogilny career wise. Lafontaine peak.

People are going to look at the straight numbers and Lafontaine’s 91-93 run, but Mogilny lead the league with 72 goals and then put up a couple dominate seasons in Toronto in the dead puck era along with actually being on two Stanley Cup Finalists.

I wouldn’t call anything that Mogilny did in Toronto “dominant”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wouldn’t call anything that Mogilny did in Toronto “dominant”

What exactly was his performance in the 02 playoffs and 02-03?

Bizarre take to be honest. Mogilny was very good the first two years of that contract and then had pretty significant surgery in 03-04. Just because the team underachieved in those years doesn’t mean Mogilny did.

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
What exactly was his performance in the 02 playoffs and 02-03?

Bizarre take to be honest. Mogilny was very good the first two years of that contract and then had pretty significant surgery in 03-04. Just because the team underachieved in those years doesn’t mean Mogilny did.

The bizarre take is calling either of those things dominant. Yeah he had a good season in 02-03. 11 points in 20 games in the playoffs though? Good job, 8 goals in 20 playoff games is solid.

If you think that’s dominant then that’s fine I guess. No point in arguing how we separately define dominant

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The bizarre take is calling either of those things dominant. Yeah he had a good season in 02-03. 11 points in 20 games in the playoffs though? Good job, 8 goals in 20 playoff games is solid.

If you think that’s dominant then that’s fine I guess. No point in arguing how we separately define dominant

He was one of the best 20 forwards in the league that year in the twilight years of his career

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Mogilny was the more talented player, but Lafontaine better maximized his ability in the NHL. But it’s pretty close.

Agree with this. Lafontaine obviosuly one of the best Americans to ever suit up. But Mogilny’s talent is underrated at this point. I forget who it was but they interviewed some former Canucks player from back in the day at one point who had played with and against both Mogilny and Bure and was asked who the more talented player was and he said Mogilny no question.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
It’s Patty, even in a shortened career. Mogilny is one of my all time favorite players though. And his story of escaping the iron curtain to get here is a thing of legends.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
A better question would be, who drove the offence when they played on a line together?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think they were pretty close. LaFontaine was better in their one big season together, and was more consistently good, but I think Mogilny was probably more talented. People bring up the injuries for LaFontaine, but he played a bunch of full seasons with the Isles and wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire and Mlgilny had his share of injuries too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad