Pat Burns-HHOF

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If there was a "coach's wing," I think he'd be a shoo-in.

Does he really fit in a "builder's wing?" I don't know

If I had to pick the best coach of the last 20 years, Burns would probably be my pick.

Edit: Excluding someone like Bowman obviously, who has been around for like 50 years. :)

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
The HHOF is pretty tough when it comes to "builders." I would have no problem with Burns going in, and when he inevitably (and sadly) passes away, I think he will be inducted. But while winning President's Trophies with 3 different teams is very impressive, I honestly think that winning only 1 Stanley Cup isn't enough for a "builder". He has the credentials as a coach, but as a "builder", I'm not so sure.

a pony

Jan 28, 2010
He's the only coach in NHL history to win a Jack Adams with 3 different teams (also the only 3 time winner), if that doesn't get him in burn the Hall down.

And please induct him before he dies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In addition to his "on paper" credentials he has been called "the best coach I ever had" by Tie Domi and I believe several others (though Domi is the only name I remember).

Definitely the best coach the NJ Devils ever had.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
There should be a coach's wing, and I'd have no problem with Burns being inducted, as long as if it was after Fred Shero.

I second that, Fred Shero is clearly the best coach not in the Hall of Fame.

Of course, with the Hall being more of a popularity contest as opposed to being primarily based on merit, I expect that Burns (because he has more "friends" on the list of the Hall's voting committee) will get in first.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I second that, Fred Shero is clearly the best coach not in the Hall of Fame.

He's clearly better than some already in (Johnson, Neilson, Brooks) but they get away with it, by calling it a "builders" wing.

Mike Keenan is also someone that deserves to be inducted someday, he's won at every level he ever coached at, CIS, AHL, NHL, Canada Cups.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
There should be a coach's wing, and I'd have no problem with Burns being inducted, as long as if it was after Fred Shero.

This.

Burns was a great coach and I wouldn't mind seeing him get in. But the biggest omission in the builders/coaches category is currently Fred Shero. He was the first to review video and to incorporate Soviet tactics and training methods into his team.

Not to mention that in 24 years of coaching, he went to the finals of his league 14 times, winning 7 times.

When I selected Fred Shero in the ATD, I was stunned to see he was not in the HHOF. I just always assumed that he was.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This.

Burns was a great coach and I wouldn't mind seeing him get in. But the biggest omission in the builders/coaches category is currently Fred Shero. He was the first to review video and to incorporate Soviet tactics and training methods into his team.

Not to mention that in 24 years of coaching, he went to the finals of his league 14 times, winning 7 times.

When I selected Fred Shero in the ATD, I was stunned to see he was not in the HHOF. I just always assumed that he was.

The sad thing is that I'll be shocked if he ever gets in either. There was a similar push made to get Shero in the Hall before he died of cancer in 1990 taht i sbeing made for Burns. Clarke and Ed Snider wanted to get him put in before he passed, and it never got off the ground.

Too many Canadiens (Hall Voters) think of him just as the coach of that "thug team" that was a "black mark" on hockey.

Thoose Flyers teams were much more talented than given credit for, adn Shero was an outstanding coach.

It's an embarassment that some seriously inferior coaches are in the Hall, and it hides behind the "builder" tag as to why is isn't in. Coaches are in because they were great coaches, GM's are in because they were great GM's.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can see the push for Burns into the HHOF but let's be careful and not do it based on emotion either.

I loved Roger Neilson but he got in prior to his death and I honestly believe that had he been healthy and living in a condo in Florida that he would never be brought up. But he had cancer and emotions played a part in that. Cam Neely as a player is a guy that got in on emotion and the "what if" factor. I don't think that's right either.

So let's look at this: Burns coached 15 years. With Montreal/Toronto 6 years in a row he got his team at least out of the first round. One trip to the finals in '89 and a Cup win with Jersey in '03. Three Jack Adams trophies are impressive in my mind because in each win he was coaching his team for the first season and that tells a lot to turn a team around like that.

But what stood out about Burns? Neilson had the "Captain video" tag. He had the innovative mind where he put a forward in net on a penalty shot so he would poke check the shooter. He would lay a stick along the ice when he pulled the goalie. All these things forced the NHL to change the rules for it. If it wasn't in the rulebook, Neilson seemed to find a way to beat it. As for Burns, he won a Cup (which Neilson did not) and was known as a players coach. No one usually says a bad thing about Pat Burns. Plus Don Cherry promotes him. That's all nice but will we remember him in 50 years? Did he bring something new to the game? Did he help BUILD it? Was he unique? I really don't think he was to be honest.

And you really have to start looking to the past as well. Shero should be in there. He created a mini dynasty from the ground up and he used a new tactic that enabled him to win.

Keenan was a hard rock coach. A tough as nails guy who pushed his players to the brink of death. He won a Cup, two Canada Cups and reached the finals three other times.

These two above guys have to get in before Burns. They brought more to the game. Burns might even be below a guy like Pat Quinn, in fact on resume only he certainly is below Quinn.

Sorry, but emotions aside it might take a really convincing story to get Burns in the HHOF legitimately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad