Pastrnak vs Laine

Who is the better goalscorer? (overall goalscoring talent - not just this year)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Their career numbers are close enough
Pasta gpg = 0.459
Laine gpg = 0.456

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Pastrnak is about to surpass Laine’s career high.

If Liane was scoring like he was two years ago, this would be a debate. But until he starts producing like that again, the answer is Pastrnak.

Pastrnak has shown a steady growth and improvement as a goal scorer, I think he’s clearly better than Laine currently and his season is better than anything Laine shown in the past.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I was going to vote Pastrnak, but then I read the actual question.

Laine is the better goal scoring talent, and I have no doubt he puts up 40-50 on that top Boston line.

Pastrnak is obviously the better around player, but he has that over most of the NHL barring fewer than a dozen players right now.

Reactions: jetsforever

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Pastrnak is about to surpass Laine’s career high.

If Liane was scoring like he was two years ago, this would be a debate. But until he starts producing like that again, the answer is Pastrnak.

Pastrnak has shown a steady growth and improvement as a goal scorer, I think he’s clearly better than Laine currently and his season is better than anything Laine shown in the past.

They have the exact same GPG average, so at the very least it is a debate. I understand weighting current season over previous, but we're talking talent here, and the fact that Winnipeg as a whole cannot score on the PP while Boston has the best 5 man unit in the NHL likely skews production.

You put these guys on the ice with 2 clones of the average NHL player, and I think Laine would be the better goal scorer, but Pastrnak the better player. That's just me guess.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Less than 18% of the vote for Laine is a joke. Pastrnak has improved a lot, but not so much that he's that much better of a goalscoring talent than Laine, if he is, at all.
That's not really how polls work. People will vote for who is better, even if it's very close. Just because the gap in votes is big doesn't mean people think the gap in their goal scoring is

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's not really how polls work. People will vote for who is better, even if it's very close. Just because the gap in votes is big doesn't mean people think the gap in their goal scoring is

True, In this case though, it really isn't close anyways. Pastrnak has become a superstar. He's in a better situation but he's also a better player.

Laine hasn't gotten to that next level yet and his goal scoring has dipped. I still believe he can get to 40-50 goals consistently but he's not there yet.

Last edited:

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Since Laine entered the league in 2016

Player A 149 goals in 282 games
Player B 134 goals in 294 games

People love using Pastas first two half seasons playing 10 minutes a night on a line with Reilly Nash and Matt Belesky to tear him down.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Stop this nonsense. It's Pasta ainec.

Just because Laine's best trait is his goal scoring, DOES NOT mean he is the best goal scorer in the nhl.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Pair Laine with Marchand and Bergeron and his numbers would be in the 60s

Go check Marchand and Bergerons numbers before Pasta joined there line.

Pasta makes them better. And he is much better all around offensively than Laine.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

I don't think Laine's off the puck movement is anywhere near as good as Pastrnak. There's a reason that line really took off only when Pastrnak was added to it.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Pasta is a significantly better skater/playermaker and overall goal scorer. Laine may have the best stationary shot, Pasta can do everything. He hits, can score, plays D. He's such an all around threat you have to respect his game, keep distance, it opens up his line mates and creates more chances.

Laine has Scheifle, one of the best C in the league. Also Pasta is easily the driving force of that line.

This is coming from a leafs fan who hates the bruins with a passion.

Wounded

Jul 9, 2011
Marchand and Bergie were 60 points players before Pasta joined their line. He is the main reason why they are the best line in hockey now. They had been pretty far from that before. However they are very important for him, because he is not good defensively. They make each other better.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Pasta is a significantly better skater/playermaker and overall goal scorer. Laine may have the best stationary shot, Pasta can do everything. He hits, can score, plays D. He's such an all around threat you have to respect his game, keep distance, it opens up his line mates and creates more chances.

Laine has Scheifle, one of the best C in the league. Also Pasta is easily the driving force of that line.

This is coming from a leafs fan who hates the bruins with a passion.

So how would you rate pasta vs matthews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad