Proposal: Pastrnak to Stars

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pasta is more proven and deadly goal scorer. But Hintz is a top 6 C ... 37 goals last season. Pavelski is 37 but scored 81 points last season. Worst case, trade him for a 1st etc at the deadline

You make it sound it these players are chop liver

Again, Hintz is a real 1C.

Teams aren’t going to trade 25y 1C’s for no good reason.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
To add a little more to this from a Stars fan's perspective...while Gurianov and Kiviranta have regressed a bit from their respective best seasons so far, there is reason for Stars fans hoping that a new coach and new system will result in improved offense from most of our forwards. Bowness' system really stifled the offense as a whole and probably hurt the development of some of our younger players. I'd like to see how they fare with a different system before I start selling low on some of these guys.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
there is a dualism going on with your post

You 1st state Dallas can't also pay Pasta 10m per. But then say any trade with Pasta to the Stars .... starts with Johnston?

I would be totally fine with that.

Stars I doubt trade their future 1c/top prospect/one of the steals of the draft

At least with Hintz, Pavelski etc. you are getting rid of/trading salary.... so that you can add Pasta salary

NTC can be broken ... If Dallas tells Pavelski, they don't plan to sign him to an extension. But Bruins are willing to. It can change minds

There's nothing contradictory in my post. I was pointing out a few different, disparate reasons why it is completely unrealistic.

Let's start with Pavelski: the guy could have gone to UFA. The guy could have got more money, even from DAL. He could have likely got 2 or 3 years from another team. But he decided to take a 1 year deal in DAL for less money than virtually every insider & others thought he would get because he loved his teammates, the city, his family loves it there, etc. In the real world, teams don't go to beloved, respected guys like that and ask them to waive a NTC clause so they can ship them somewhere else. It's horrifically bad for team's to have that reputation when it comes to how they are viewed by other players (internal or external) and whether they want to really commit to an organization like that with no loyalty.

Now let's turn to Boston: If I was BOS and DAL called me up with an offer for Pasta that didn't start with Johnston, I hang up the phone. If BOS is truly going into a rebuild, the package they get needs to be built around high end players that are really young. Hintz is a phenomenal player, but he's only 1 year younger than Pasta. So how does that really help BOS if they're going full rebuild?

Let's go back to DAL: they can't pay both Robertson (who would probably get something like 8 years x 8M) + Pasta (who would get 8 x 10M range) when both need new contracts and they've already got Benn & Seguin on the books. And that doesn't even factor in the money they've committed to Pavelski (who wouldn't be moved for the reasons I explained above) or the extension they would need to give Hintz (who wouldn't fit the Bruins' timeline for a rebuild, and would leave a massive hole at C for DAL).

In short, DAL cannot fit Pasta in their salary structure. They need their young guys to round out their roster (Johnston, Stankoven, etc.) who are the guys BOS would want anyway.

That's far from an exhaustive list of the reasons why this wouldn't work, but it's good enough to show how it's a non-starter.

So this trade doesn't work for either team. Awful trade partners.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I think pieces-wise the teams COULD do a fair trade. But unsure there is a reality that could satisfy both.

But man if dallas could get Pastrnak without guving up Hintz...Robertson-Hintz-Pastrnak would be so sick to watch for years as a stars fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad