Pass the Biscuits, UAH accepted to WCHA

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Save UAH hockey's twitter feed reports UAH accepted to the WCHA conference in hockey.

Awesome for the Southern most DI hockey team and WCHA has map coverage that BCS conferences would be jealous of. Alaska to Alabama.

UAH Chargers ‏@UAHChargers
UAH Hockey Accepts Invite to Join WCHA #chargerpride #WCHArgers http://*******/WLdkmI

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The new WCHA looks like this.

Alaska-Fairbanks
Alaska-Anchorage
Ferris ST.
Lake Superior St.
Bemidji
Michigan tech
Minnesota-Duluth
Minnesota State.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
snoopy-dance.gif

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I know that Blake Geoffrion has two brothers playing for Huntsville. I saw them playing against the Badgers about a month ago. Maybe more southern schools will play hockey if Huntsville continues.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I know that Blake Geoffrion has two brothers playing for Huntsville. I saw them playing against the Badgers about a month ago. Maybe more southern schools will play hockey if Huntsville continues.

There are club teams at several SEC schools now. The sport IS spreading. North Alabama has a growing youth hockey community and adult rec leagues. Kids are growing up with the sport now. UAH having a team is definitely a big part of that.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
There are club teams at several SEC schools now. The sport IS spreading. North Alabama has a growing youth hockey community and adult rec leagues. Kids are growing up with the sport now. UAH having a team is definitely a big part of that.

My mom went to UAH in the late 70s and said there was a hockey presence in Huntsville even back then. Crazy

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
My mom went to UAH in the late 70s and said there was a hockey presence in Huntsville even back then. Crazy

yeah, they've had a hockey team for ages. I think it was a club team in the seventies. They won a couple of Division II national championships back in the nineties. Huntsville calls themselves the hockey capitol of the South for a reason.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
The sport IS spreading. North Alabama has a growing youth hockey community and adult rec leagues. Kids are growing up with the sport now. UAH having a team is definitely a big part of that.

I moved to Huntsville just shy of 2 years ago from the South Jersey (Flyers country) area.

Since being here, the only sport I've ever heard talked about is college football. When I am asked (ad naseum) which I am (Alabama or Auburn) and my eyes glaze over, I respond that I am a hockey fan - thus far, I have been universally mocked in retort.

It is great to hear that UAH got accepted to the conference, I'll probably try and catch some of their games in the future now. Unfortunately, I don't anticipate having to look hard for an empty seat, though. ;)

yeah, they've had a hockey team for ages. I think it was a club team in the seventies. They won a couple of Division II national championships back in the nineties. Huntsville calls themselves the hockey capitol of the South for a reason.

Hah... that is the first I (or 99.9% of the residents here) have ever heard that one. Huntsville calls themselves the "Silicon Valley" of the South for a reason, but the vast majority of the populace couldn't pick a hockey puck out of a police lineup.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I moved to Huntsville just shy of 2 years ago from the South Jersey (Flyers country) area.

Since being here, the only sport I've ever heard talked about is college football. When I am asked (ad naseum) which I am (Alabama or Auburn) and my eyes glaze over, I respond that I am a hockey fan - thus far, I have been universally mocked in retort.

It's fun to mess with college football die hards if you don't care about one of their teams. Next time someone does it just say something random like "Oh man I don't really care, I'm a UTEP fan"

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
while this is cool, it is a huge bummer that Title IX is preventing so many awesome schools from having a D-1 Hockey Program: Wish there could be a d-1 SEC hockey conference .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
while this is cool, it is a huge bummer that Title IX is preventing so many awesome schools from having a D-1 Hockey Program: Wish there could be a d-1 SEC hockey conference .
Oh, heck yeah. It'd be nice to have another sport in which the B1G can horribly embarrass the SEC. ;)

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

In the mid/late 90s, I played in many youth tournaments down there. They were always hosting them. I first heard that term back then, too. Probably doesn't apply that much today though.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Very happy for UAH Hockey, their team, their student-athletes, and their alumni. Far too often we don't appreciate something until its lost. UAH is getting a second chance and with the resilience they've approached the past few seasons with, I'm sure they will make the best of the opportunity.

Hoping the Preds continue bringing a UAH series to Nashville each season...

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Basketball.

The defense rests, your honor. :)

Rerally?

You'd actually say that to a Kentucky boy?

Bwahahahhaha

S E C has how many ncaa titles in your lifetime? And you canference has.... One? Two?

Oh and don't forget the women play too. Ms summit says hi with her gazillion trophies

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

There's a store located across from the Duluth Ice Forum (former Thrashers practice facility) called Ice Edge. They used to have a Facebook page, but it appears they took it down. They had/have a bunch of SEC jerseys. The Georgia ones are awesome!

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL

It is great to hear that UAH got accepted to the conference, I'll probably try and catch some of their games in the future now. Unfortunately, I don't anticipate having to look hard for an empty seat, though. ;)

Hah... that is the first I (or 99.9% of the residents here) have ever heard that one. Huntsville calls themselves the "Silicon Valley" of the South for a reason, but the vast majority of the populace couldn't pick a hockey puck out of a police lineup.

I was born and raised in Decatur, about twenty miles west of Huntsville. I've lived here my whole life. Is hockey as popular as college football? Not even close. Is it MORE popular now than it was when I was a kid? Absolutely. When I was a kid you couldn't find someone who'd played hockey. They only had ice at Pt. Mallard during the winter (and one day I'd like to meet the person who thought it was a good idea to build an OUTDOOR ice rink in Alabama).

Now, Huntsville has a growing youth league. There are even youth teams based out of Decatur. There are high school hockey teams. There are semi-pro teams based through the south, including the Huntsville Havoc. The men's rec league gets larger every year. There are pickup games year-round in Huntsville and Decatur.

I'm not saying it's going to become more popular than college football. I'm not even saying it's a very popular sport right now. I'm just saying that it's a LOT more popular now than it was when I was a kid, and I think that's a good thing. It still has a long way to go before it's part of the mainstream sports culture in Alabama, but it at least has a presence now. That's a lot more than could be said about it in the seventies and eighties.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Great news; good for them. OTF.com has been providing updates every now and then. Tough process but it's nice they found a home finally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad