Pascal Vincent: Stay or Go?

Will the Jackets fire Pascal Vincent?

• Total voters

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Here we are again. With a head coaching conundrum.

Obviously this decision won’t be made until a new GM is put in place, as Vincent is scheduled to talk tomorrow to the media so it won’t be a quick decision like Larsen was.

Do you think the Jackets will fire Vincent? Should they?

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I doubt it with how many coaches they're paying. Probably too early to call but I'll go with No because I think the next GM knows they won't be contending next year.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I doubt it with how many coaches they're paying. Probably too early to call but I'll go with No because I think the next GM knows they won't be contending next year.
This is kinda where I am at. Its only one year and there is still some housecleaning to do on the vets end yet the kids still need experience. I think the window, if everything is going to plan will be the 25-26 year anyways.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I said yes only if the new GM has someone who he really wants. And don't want the risk of missing out. Although owner must be getting annoyed with having to pay a former coach and new coach lol

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I see this idea on HF that owners won't be willing to pay a former coach and a new coach. Maybe some owners, sure, but it's not in general a smart way to think about your business. If you're running a manufacturing business and the plant manager is screwing things up, you would get a new guy regardless of how many guys you're already paying severance to. The biggest waste of money is always when you have the wrong people in place, the second biggest would be replacing them.

I'm not sure any if this applies to Vincent.

Reactions: Viqsi

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think he'll make it through next season, but I expect him to be behind the bench for the opening game while the new GM evaluates what he has with this team.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I've spoken about this in other threads, but I'll summarise my thoughts here.

I think there is an argument for giving him another year. I am generally skeptical towards evaluating someone based on one year, unless they are obviously terrible (which I personally can't determine if he is). Remember that Jared Bednar was the coach of the 16-17 Avalanche. He turned out pretty well. Vincent should have some feedback on the roster to give to the new GM. For instance, he seems to be very keen on bringing in some size in the off-season. With some input on the roster and a full off-season to prepare, could he be better? I don't know.

With that said, if the new GM thinks he needs to go and replaces him with someone like Craig Berube, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Just from a pure hockey standpoint, I'd probably prefer Joel Quenneville. But even if he makes a return, he is most definitely not coming to Columbus because of the PR disaster that it would be to bring in him with all his baggage one year after the Mike Babcock fiasco. Considering all that, he makes little sense.

In summary: I'd give him another year. I suspect they will.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I voted yes , more out of hope than what I really think will happen. In reality I'd say it is 50/50.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It’s fascinating how many head coaches they have gone through in such a short time, and it will be even more fascinating if/when Vincent is fired and the next guy is added to the list.

From what I actually know of the situation, I still genuinely believe what Babcock apparently did shouldn’t have been enough for him to be fired.

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I kind of get the Vincents narrative of protecting young players but that doesnt mean that those youngsters should play only 9 minutes meanwhile Jenner and other veterans are playing + 20 minutes per game.

I kind of lost the confidence on Vincents ability to guide this young team the correct way and I have serious conserns that he did more harm than good to Jiricek this season for example.

So, NO for me.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Every GM candidate of quality has his list of guys. Unless PV is on one then no. I said it a while back and I'll repeat now. I expect a ventriloquist dummy to be here sitting on JDs lap if HE is driving the search. Hoping for the best but figuring on the status quo next season.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
While I don't have the vitriol toward Vincent some do, I do think now is the time to get a coach that will be here long term. There will be too many young guys going on their 2nd or 3rd coach in as many seasons, and they need to get some continuity for these younger players that they expect to be here when the team gets good. I have no idea who they will get, and I usually don't get into stuff like this too much because they I would assume they have an idea of what they want to do.

If it were me though, I would check on Todd Nelson's availability. He has a similar, if not better track record in the AHL than Bednar, and has NHL experience. Two Calder Cups since 16-17 with two different teams, and is pretty much the favorite to win again this year.

I guess I am saying I want to go the route of bringing in a guy that can grow alongside the players he is coaching and hopefully build something like what Colorado did.

Reactions: koteka

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Hes actively hindering development via ice time, thus he needs to go, no matter how many coaches we are paying.
yeah for how young this team is (and will still be next year) plus having a new GM who will want to evaluate the young players, it makes zero sense to bring back the "never plays the young players" guy

he seems like a nice enough guy (so did larsen) but he's gotta go.

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Need to see improvement---no doubt

Does he deserve another year---No doubt

I think he has the knowledge and demeaner to be a successful Head coach

My bigger concern is with the assistant staff

Jarod Boll? Derek Dorsett?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Can't imagine a new GM staying with him.

According to capfriendly.com, he only had a year deal. Worst case for CBJ ownership would be 2 years @ around $1 million per. Certainly nothing that should be a game breaker for a new GM to hire a new coach-and I would think that a new GM would want to give ownership and the fan base the feeling of a "new beginning" for the franchise. Keeping Vincent wouldn't serve that goal.

For a brief bit, I thought that Vincent might be a Jeff Bashill equivalent-just hold the fort while the players develop. I don't think that he fits that description at this point.

Both Larsen and Vincent really didn't seem to bring a strong identity as a coach in terms of personality. My impression of them is that they both tried to be a nicer version of Torts and it's hard to try to be who you really aren't. The players can sniff that out real fast.

I think Vincent will be seen by the new GM as a Brad Shaw type-an assistant coach. A #2 man and not a #1 man. He doesn't have the personality to guide a team at its helm. By that I mean mostly as a motivator. A guy players want to go to war for. Comes across to me as more of an "xs and os" kind of guy.

Vincent doesn't seem to be a bad guy. I wish him well. I just don't see him as NHL head coaching material and I'd be surprised if the new GM does-and then I remembered who is heading the GM search.:laugh:

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My head says he won’t be dismissed, but my heart says dismiss him. So for purposes of the vote, I’ll go with my heart and vote yes.

More than Vincent, I want to see new new assistant coaches behind the bench next year - especially on the defensive side.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I feel like if the new GM believes that coaching could be improved in any area - i.e. new assistants, better power play, etc - then he'll just clean house, Vincent included. I don't know as there's much to be gained by retaining Vincent but making/allowing him a full offseason to upgrade his staff, given he's had the chance to be working with these guys and developed whatever rapport with them.

That said, I have a generally overall positive impression of Vincent. He was given a difficult task, and he seemed to approach it with professionalism and passion. I took things that frustrated us as him having an idea of how he wanted to do things and not deviating from it. Maybe we'd have preferred he be more flexible ion his approach, but - as long as there's communication - consistency is a good thing.

In the end, I just don't have a good feel for how good of a head coach he is. ON one hand, I'd like to see him get a chance to have an offseason and approach a new season knowing what he'll be doing going in. I'm also not big on frequent turnover. But I don't feel strongly about it regarding Pascal.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I voted no but it depends on who they hire and the vision. Maybe he'll be fine as a head coach in the long run but I think every assistant needs replaced except Backstrom.

There need to be changes. I could see him being given another chance with an overhaul of assistant coaches.

But realistically, I'd love to see a complete overhaul of the coaching staff by a new guy who is a go getter that knows exactly what he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad