Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We are absolutely a better team this year. Just look at the players we have now that we didn't then.

The best thing for our 3rd line would be Henrique getting healthy. Adding Henrique to the 3rd line with McLeod and Foegele would give that line a boost and some direction where they are lacking right now.

Add special teams in there, and I don't hate our chances, and I think the word "steamrolled" is getting thrown around far too liberally.
I think its a long series but I think its debatable which is the better team. On paper this one looks better but then realizing that Perry, Brown are too useless to even have in a lineup, Ryan etc are older. Foegele hasn't even showed.

I do miss Kostin and Bjugstad from last years team and we did have Campbell option then as well.

One of the specific challenges in this series is the Dallas depth. They can get it done top to bottom in their lineup. They also defend pretty well and have better goaltending.

Oilers have the high end talent which typically gives the Stars some problems but they've handled those from both Vegas and Col. They are battle tested for sure. No team in league has had a harder path. How many times in history does one team knock out the past two cup winners and then have to play a team that some had as favorites? Tough road for Dallas, they don't ever get harder.

Oilers have had the easier outs.

I expect the Oilers to realize the pace of this series sometime in game 1. It will be different than anything we've seen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse doesn't have an identity at the moment. He doesn't know what his playstyle is anymore. He doesn't play like a mean SOB, no more fights, he's not even strong, can't eliminate guys in front of the net, still clueless when he enters the O zone. He can't seem to pick one and stick to him. He wants to be great at everything and ends up sucking at all aspects and it's hurting his game.
Absolutely fair take.
There is a lot of his former game (especially the tough and mean part) that seems to be gone.
The O zone stuff is tough to watch. All too often he kills the play and just gives up possession.
Regarding the bolded...that pretty much nails it.

It is good though that in these playoffs he has dropped down the dpeth chart to #4 on the team.
In terms of quality of play I would say that Ekholm, Bouchard and Kulak are ahead of him.
So that means the team doesnt have to rely on him as much as they did in the past.

Reactions: Canovin

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Dallas is not unbeatable- I actually think the most important matchup of this series will be Knob vs Deboer. Pete is a hell of a coach, and can coach circles around nearly everyone in the league. You can bet they'll try to exploit the Oilers weaknesses- Nurse, Ceci on the rush, Skinner, jamming up the breakout, etc. Knob made some good adjustments in the Vancouver series and this will be a bigger test.
In terms of their roster, they are deep but their offense is driven through Wyatt Johnston, and their D runs through Heiskanen/Tanev. If the other lines can saw off and our top lines can win the matchups, we can do well against them.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Dallas is deep but they're really not that productive up top. They've also spent the season with shaky goaltending and they're rocking a sub 70% penalty kill. We can score goals on this team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Felt like Darnell Nurse was on the ice for every goal against that series. Looking at the stats, he sits at a - by far - a team worst -10.
Blame Ceci for Nurse's performance all you want, Ceci was better game 7. Why can Kulak babysit him better than Nurse can?

My main observation with Nurse is that he must have blocked a shot successfully at some point, and now plays his game like he is the goalie. Every shift he is focused exclusively on his shot blocking form. Blocking a shot is great, but not at the expense of winning position battles in front of the net, tying up your opponent from scoring on a rebound, or generally being upright instead of doing a snow angel on the ice.
I think Nurse can be much better - and hopefully will be in the next round.
We've been blaming Ceci for being the weak link on our 2nd pair all year. As soon as they switch him to playing with Kulak, he's great.

I have loved Nurse, but man, I hope our new GM can find a team to take him.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012

;) How does Miller figure they deserved to W. They were outplayed in 6/7 games in series.
This current Canucks team also has shades of the 2011 team in the Finals. Boston players even stated how arrogant they were. Boston were down 3-2 as well and we all know the result. There's a lesson to be learned about focusing just to winning the next game.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I picked oilers in 7, this all comes down to special teams and if skinner can play above .900. He will be tested way more than in van and if oilers are going to win it's because their special teams are better and we get some decent goaltending. I still prefer pickard over skinner but this is his chance to prove that he belongs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This current Canucks team also has shades of the 2011 team in the Finals. Boston players even stated how arrogant they were. Boston were down 3-2 as well and we all know the result. There's a lesson to be learned about focusing just to winning the next game.
VanChoker.

They are going to have a similar relapse that Calgary and Seattle have been seeing. Just not much of a club and hard to imagine there won't be mroe conflicts there and more wanting out. They shouldn't have got out of the first round. They played poorly throughout playoffs. Were outplayed in 80% of their games. So much so that their fans just started thinking this is how you win. For sure the team thought it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dallas is deep but they're really not that productive up top. They've also spent the season with shaky goaltending and they're rocking a sub 70% penalty kill. We can score goals on this team.
In fairness look at the two teams Dallas has played and who they've had to pk against. Thats two pretty good PP's they faced. We got to get our PP back in order. Hyman is hurt, he hasn't been the same for multiple games now so it impacts what we do on PP. We have also gone back to static instead of mobile. I factor that into fatigue and illness.

We don't have a lot of time off here. Just two days off and a long trip to Dallas. Oilers have played a lot of hockey.

Now imagine if the NHL had done the proper thing and started the Pacific final before the Central final when Central teams were still playing....Somehow the Oilers had to wait a week and the Central series started earlier and the Stars are rested.

Reactions: elmeroil

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This is a chance For Connor and Leon cement their legacy. For RNH, Ekholm, Kane and Hyman to chase that cup before it's too late. For Bouch to keep proving he's one of the top dmen in the league. And it's time for depth guys to show how much they want it.

If Edmonton can play the way we know they can, they can absolutely take this series.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
This is a chance For Connor and Leon cement their legacy. For RNH, Ekholm, Kane and Hyman to chase that cup before it's too late. For Bouch to keep proving he's one of the top dmen in the league. And it's time for depth guys to show how much they want it.

If Edmonton can play the way we know they can, they can absolutely take this series.
Even if we play the way we know we can, we have Skinner in net. Despite recovering a bit in games 6 and 7 (where Edmonton gave up next to nothing in terms of quality chances), he still has performed the worst out of any goaltender in the playoffs with more than 4 games played. It will quite literally all depend on whether he gets his s**t together or not.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
In fairness look at the two teams Dallas has played and who they've had to pk against. Thats two pretty good PP's they faced. We got to get our PP back in order. Hyman is hurt, he hasn't been the same for multiple games now so it impacts what we do on PP. We have also gone back to static instead of mobile. I factor that into fatigue and illness.

We don't have a lot of time off here. Just two days off and a long trip to Dallas. Oilers have played a lot of hockey.

Now imagine if the NHL had done the proper thing and started the Pacific final before the Central final when Central teams were still playing....Somehow the Oilers had to wait a week and the Central series started earlier and the Stars are rested.

Straight up, the one thing I am absolutely not worried about under any circumstances regarding the Oilers is the Power Play. Like at all really.

If the Stars think they've already faced the worst of it in this regard they have no idea what's coming.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Ughhh, i hate these "happy to be wrong" posts. Grow some balls and actually root for your team to win for once.

This attitude of "hoping for a win, but expect a loss" is trash. It's just cowardly to always predict a loss then jump on the bandwagon after a win saying "I'm so happy I was wrong"

Naysayers always posting garbage then expect that people don't call them out because they're "happy to eat crow" is bullshit, especially when those same naysayers jump all over posters who try to stay positive when the Oilers are losing.

I'm hoping for an Oilers series win, and I EXPECT an Oilers series win as well.
It’s pathetic some folks must be miserable in real life.

Reactions: capazzo

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Dallas is the superior team just like Calgary was in 2022
Dallas is very good but everyone left is… Dallas is not as good as sone are saying with Henrique getting healthy and an emerging Holloway our depth is being vastly underrated. Oilers have a good shot in this series. Will come down to execution

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm seeing everyone and their mother come up with excuses for Skinner's poor play, including "he just sucks against the Cucks" and "the save percentage was misleading." Stop deluding yourselves. Nobody needed excuses for Pickard. He played well. Play him now.
I know it won’t happen, but I’d start Pickard in game 1. Nothing Skinner did in the past two games, provided any evidence that, on reflection, would suggest he’s found his game. Had a combined 29 saves in games 6 and 7. He got the wins, with a combined .900 average, but the shot count was very low.

It would be a bold yet safe start for this series, on the road.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One key is the health status of Roope Hintz. If he's out or playing injured that will be massive for us.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
People are making excuses for 97 … how do I know he is sick? He was yelling this losing his voice no indication he is sick

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Cyclone. My friend. I’ve always been curious at your position on the team.

Each fan can cheer in their own way so you be you. Your view on the oilers is like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Who knows what happens in this series!!! Just be happy for the series win and come have fun. It’s hard to make the conference finals and we are here baby. Let’s go!!!!
excellent comparison
little combo of Debbie Downer and this fella as well. Mr Snuffleupagus

1716315358662.png

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The reasons we'll win the series:

- Stars PK stinks
- Our top end talent is better than their top end talent
- Tanev is playing injured and they have Alex Petrovic playing on their defense. Depth on their D is hobbled.
- Oettinger's abilities are more mythical at this point than factual, he can implode just like Skinner does

Why we'll lose the series:

- Skinner/goaltending
- Our third line gets mauled by their third line matchup
- We mismanage the neutral zone and allow them to run downhill on us in waves

I feel good about this series, but above all goaltending will be the equalizer once again. Skinner wasn't really tested in a very significant way, but I still didn't feel good about his tracking and positioning in Game 6 and 7. Felt like he got by not playing his best. You can get away by throwing games away against the Nucks due to goaltending, but that won't be the case against the Stars. I feel like if we get roughly even goaltending to Dallas we will win.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that Skinner's issue last series was a Nuck specific issue and not an issue generally. I guess we will see.
Solid post. I actually like this match up better and don't anticipate as physical or as greasy series. Totally agree about Oettinger who was prematurely anointed elite status on his one playoff year. He can play at elite level but is also prone to inconsistency.

Oilers resiliency is a major attribute and, with Knoblauch coaching, a guy proving to be solid with deployment and in-game and series tweaks. Special teams have been fire and locked in as a critical advantage to winning. Playoff X-Factor Holloway has helped to build up a great top six and pairs so well with Kane's heavy forecheck and volume shooting game. Starting games with McDavid and Draisaitl as 1C and 2C is a formidable weapon. Team defending was great to close out the Canucks series and will need to be locked in against Dallas. Skinner remains the biggest question mark.

Oilers third line has been a major blackhole. Perfect world Henrique comes back for veteran calm at 3C and McLeod pushes over to wing (while still a solid PK depth guy). I'm skeptical about Henrique being healthy but hopeful. This line needs to give more juice.

Dallas is an excellent team. But so are the Oilers who have pushed themselves into this Final Four when all hope was flickering the first month of this season. Should be a great series.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
What we need is another cast member from Wedding Crashers or Old School to go to the Stars games and cheer for the Stars. Seems to work well for the Oilers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad