CFHF Fantasy League Part XXIII- TDL February 22 @ 11:59pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why do we set an artificial trade deadline date of February 22, when Yahoo already automatically sets a date (Trade End Date: March 3, 2016 under League scoring and settings page)?

I wasn't around when the decision was first made, but I think the reason is because we don't want the trade deadline to fall too late in the season. I think Yahoo's trade deadline is actually the end of the (fantasy) regular season. We would rather the deadline be about 3/4 through the season (or at least closer to it) just like in the NHL. Creates a better dynamic.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't care, but in my other league we have our deadline 2 days after the actual deadline. This way, if there is any big deals made in the NHL, that gives GM's a couple of days to finish tinkering with their rosters accordingly instead of going into the actual deadline blind. For example, if you have a goalie that gets dealt from a playoff team to non playoff team (see Halak to Buffalo a couple of years ago), well you are pretty much screwed going into the playoffs in our league.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't care, but in my other league we have our deadline 2 days after the actual deadline. This way, if there is any big deals made in the NHL, that gives GM's a couple of days to finish tinkering with their rosters accordingly instead of going into the actual deadline blind. For example, if you have a goalie that gets dealt from a playoff team to non playoff team (see Halak to Buffalo a couple of years ago), well you are pretty much screwed going into the playoffs in our league.

I like the element of gambling that it brings. Being exactly a week before is a good balance, I think. You have an idea what kind of needs a team has and what kind of moves they might make, but there is still an air of uncertainty.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like the element of gambling that it brings. Being exactly a week before is a good balance, I think. You have an idea what kind of needs a team has and what kind of moves they might make, but there is still an air of uncertainty.

I see both sides of it, I like what you say. But I also think extending the deadline makes for some potential blockbusters to be made in the league.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I see both sides of it, I like what you say. But I also think extending the deadline makes for some potential blockbusters to be made in the league.

I think that's part of the problem, it makes it too easy. The later you push the trade deadline, the less of a decision it becomes to buy or sell. In the extreme case, if the trade deadline was indeed the end of the regular season, sellers are essentially trading everything they don't need to keep, and buyers already know they're in the playoffs. It's not even tanking at that point given you aren't going to lose any matchups with a depleted squad. The further in advance it is, the more people you have thinking they can make the playoffs.

Imagine, at the end of the season, if the 9th best team in the league could just sell their 10th, 11th and 12th best players for minimal returns without thinking twice. Doesn't sit right with me. Basically all of the playoff teams will buy all of their depth at the deadline for minimal prices, because you're looking at 12 teams selling good players to your competitors who are willing to. Turns the playoffs into a complete crapshoot.

It's like that time TFG won his championship. That was the season we had all the trouble with people making really chintzy trades with keeper level players and promises to return them in the offseason. You want to make buying a little more difficult- make it really sting. Otherwise winning feels cheap.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I absolutely agree with that. I just think that the most exciting times of the hockey season are: The Draft, July 1st and the NHL Trade Deadline. These are the dates that you see the most player movement in real life. For example, Drouin is playing in the minors right now and is a non factor. If the FPP finishes out of the playoffs, he's unlikely to deal him. Now let's say that Drouin gets dealt on the actual deadline or the week leading up to it (probable), well now all of the sudden the FFP have an asset that they can turn into a huge return for them.

I agree 100% that pushing the deadline back really late into the season is not the way to go. But I think allowing a small window to pass and keep trading open in our league until the actual deadline is concluded, could just add excitement to the league.

We could always vote on it?

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I don't think people who are in contention are going to wait until the trade deadline to make any major moves. we've already had a couple of those mini trade deadline days too

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sigh, the goalie carousel continues for GD. With Berra on IR, Gustavsson being a backup, and Andersen losing his starting job, I'm lucky if I get two starts a week now. Looks like Cam Talbot is gonna have to suffice. Barf.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Sigh, the goalie carousel continues for GD. With Berra on IR, Gustavsson being a backup, and Andersen losing his starting job, I'm lucky if I get two starts a week now. Looks like Cam Talbot is gonna have to suffice. Barf.

Did we ever talk about Lehtonen when I still had him? I ended up dropping him if he's still free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad