Part II. Potential owners of NHL's Phoenix Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I agree in essence with what you're saying, but one issue that compounds this situation is that the person apparently interested in buying this team already owns several media outlets like CTV, TSN and the Globe & Mail. Its possible that he has made sure his own media outlets do not comment or speculate about a possible sale.

I myself have found it strange that TSN, the network that almost always talks about hockey, hasn't even touched on this topic (aside from Damien Cox's open speculation on The Reporters that the team "should go back to Winnipeg or Quebec City", and one small tweet by Darren Dreger saying "There have been no discussions with the NHL about relocating Atl to Wpg. That doesn't mean Wpg isn't a target for relocation."). They haven't even speculated about where the Coyotes could relocate, when it seems like that was all they could talk about back in the summer. Most of the information has been coming from sources not owned Thomson-Reuters, like CBC and The Hockey News.

I'm still learning about Thomson, and didn't know about that- that really DOES compound the situation-to a point of conflict of interest maybe? The other side if it is that TSN is usually pretty good only on writing stuff only when it's certain(with the exception of Dreger and his insider info, but even then there's a suprisingly lack of speculation). But this certainly adds another dimension I haven't seen discussed much(maybe more the MTS forum?)

Someone who may own an NHL team who owns one of the major media umbrella outlets in Canada. It kind of re-emphasises my point about scrutiny. If he ends up owning an NHL team, large can of worms that could be opened controlling 1/3 of Canada's media. Wow.

So we've got this group saying very little for the most part as far as what's going on. We've got CBC, Hockey News and other non CTV outlets reporting information. And we don't seem to get a lot of Phoenix news from that city(I think the most recent was about the dropping of the vote awhile back wasn't it?)

Interesting times.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Your welcome to your opinion but I feel I should inform you that the Air Canada Centre was originally designed as a basketball arena.

Even if an arena is designed from day 1 to accommodate basketball, there are certain compromises that must be made if it is to be multi-use and also support hockey - the differences in court/rink dimensions forces the lower bowl to be recessed back further and have longer sight lines from the ends.

An arena designed solely for basketball (like AWA) can provide closer seats and better sight lines than a multi purpose arena - at the cost of really sucking as a hockey venue.

This is nothing more than a less pronounced case of multi use football/baseball stadiums. The compromises that needed to be made made them less than optimal for football and even worse for baseball.

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Bettman on LeafsLunch with Dreger and Watters today

topics discussed

- supplemental discipline re: head shots,
- Don Fehr possible takeover of NHLPA

Phoenix was not addressed

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Tinalera;) I'm still learning about Thomson said:
Tinaleraloo?. Here we go with the Conspiracy Theories. TSN was notably absent & bereft of its coverage & comment before, during & after the Moyes BK & the sorry state of not only the Coyotes' but so too any number of situations, be they in Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville or wherever. The station has a contract with the NHL & some of the Canadian teams. It is not implausible to suggest that the Politically Correct Mgmnt at TSN, not whispered words from an as yet totally "would be, rumored owner" in David Thompson has or had anything to do with TSN's non-coverage of the Coyotes. Thats crazy talk. TSN, CTV, they dont do "controversy", unless you look at a W5 or specific investigative piece. My best bet guess would be that TSN itself, due to its contracts with the NHL, simply will not bite the hand that feeds them in giving ANY coverage, let alone credence to rumors pursuant to business problems at team & league levels. :sarcasm:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Conspiracy theories, Canadian media self interest, Owners who wantthe media gagged. This is all just plum dandy to debate about, but no one is cutting through the B.S. and looking at this from a logical point of view. Here are only facts.

1. Jerry Reinsdorf offered to buy the Coyotes and keep them in Phoenix. He had but one Caveat to his offer. Re-negotiate the lease of Jobbing.Com to allow for parking and concession revenues.

2. The City of Glendale out-right refused to negotiate those two revenue streams.

3. Ice Edge Holdings has an offer to purchase the Coyotes. They have league approval, and want to keep the team in its present location. It is widely understood that they do not have the financing to back the deal under the terms of the current lease agreement with the arena. It is understood that financing would be available in the event the City of Glendale offered the parking and concession revenue streams.

4. The NHL has no intention to prop up losses for the team beyond the end of the current season. Bettman has stated that if a local owner cannot be found the team would be sold to an owner with permission to relocate for the 2010/11 season.

Logic would come in to play and rationalize that if the City of Glendale is not willing to budge on the lease terms for an owner of Reinsdorf's ilk, why would they change their mind for a group of rookie owner's without cash in hand?

Logic would also state that the NHL, in their best interests, would have a 'back-up plan' on the books in the event a deal cannot be reached in Phoenix.

The NHL has stated many cities that they are interested in operating a franchise. Oklahoma, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Seattle. They have also stated that they intend on re-populating Winnipeg and Quebec City with franchises in the future.

Sounds to me like their are more opportunities outside of Arizona than inside.

Last edited:

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I can't understand why it is that every single writer that works for the Arizona papers or a paper that suggests that the Coyotes are staying are the most credible people in the world, while anyone that suggests anything to the contrary are people to be questioned and mocked, even when they're one of the head writers for the most respected hockey publication in the world...

I think this works both ways. Any time the NHL or IE has come out and disputed some of the speculation about financing or the status of the deal, many people ignore it as propaganda.

This whole situation has been VERY polarizing and I would guess a majority of people here have sort of chosen sides. With so little actual news, speculation and reading into things has become rampant. Is it possible that some of the writer do indeed have ironclad info into what is actually happening? Of course. It's also possible that they are talking to sources who are also speculating.

For me, until we get some concrete news as to the resolution of the ownership mess, I will continue to take pretty much everything I read with a grain of salt. That includes press in Canada, US and Arizona as well as NHL and IE.

I'm a really big fan of the Coyotes. This past year has been freaking hell and yes I can now understand what people in Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford went through. At this point, I'm tired of feeling like i'm being constantly tortured and just want a resolution to this one way or another.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Conspiracy theories, Canadian media self interest, Owners who wantthe media gagged. This is all just plum dandy to debate about, but no one is cutting through the B.S. and looking at this from a logical point of view. Here are only facts.

1. Jerry Reinsdorf offered to buy the Coyotes and keep them in Phoenix. He had but one Caveat to his offer. Re-negotiate the lease of Jobbing.Com to allow for parking and concession revenues.

2. The City of Glendale out-right refused to negotiate those two revenue streams.

3. Ice Edge Holdings has an offer to purchase the Coyotes. They have league approval, and want to keep the team in its present location. It is widely understood that they do not have the financing to back the deal under the terms of the current lease agreement with the arena. It is understood that financing would be available in the event the City of Glendale offered the parking and concession revenue streams.

4. The NHL has no intention to prop up losses for the team beyond the end of the current season. Bettman has stated that if a local owner cannot be found the team would be sold to an owner with permission to relocate for the 2010/11 season.

Logic would come in to play and rationalize that if the City of Glendale is not willing to budge on the lease terms for an owner of Reinsdorf's ilk, why would they change their mind for a group of rookie owner's without cash in hand?

Logic would also state that the NHL, in their best interests, would have a 'back-up plan' on the books in the event a deal cannot be reached in Phoenix.

The NHL has stated many cities that they are interested in operating a franchise. Oklahoma, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Seattle. They have also stated that they intend on re-populating Winnipeg and Quebec City with franchises in the future.

Where do you get these "facts" from?

2. Outright refused? Says who? They turned down a $50 million dollar out from Bailsille in hopes to negotiate local ownership. Sure doesn't sound like a flat out refusal.

4. When has Bettman ever said that this team would be relocated if no owner is foudn by the end of the season? I've never read that anywhere. All Bettman has ever said is that he's hopeful that a deal will get done. Not once has the NHL said they refuse to carry the team into next year. They may or may not but to state it as fact is wrong

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
@AllbyDesign; I agree with much of what you state, however, your "facts are facts" as they relate to Jerry Reinsdorfs' offer of last July is off by a lot more than a Country Mile. He was after some serious subsidies to the tune of $23-28M per annum, a 5year "out clause" with penalties of $15M per annum to be paid to him retroactively after 5yrs should he be losing money & "forced" to leave Glendale as a result, the Lease being null & void at that time, etc etc etc. When these details' were "inadvertently" (unhunh) by one of Moyes' council & made public, do you not recall the hue & cry from Goldwater & Moyes' et al?. Shortly thereafter, Jerry left the building, blaming the "leak", not the "extortionary demands" of his offer for failing to reach a deal with the COG.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think this works both ways. Any time the NHL or IE has come out and disputed some of the speculation about financing or the status of the deal, many people ignore it as propaganda. This whole situation has been VERY polarizing and I would guess a majority of people here have sort of chosen sides. With so little actual news, speculation and reading into things has become rampant. Is it possible that some of the writer do indeed have ironclad info into what is actually happening? Of course. It's also possible that they are talking to sources who are also speculating. For me, until we get some concrete news as to the resolution of the ownership mess, I will continue to take pretty much everything I read with a grain of salt. That includes press in Canada, US and Arizona as well as NHL and IE. I'm a really big fan of the Coyotes. This past year has been freaking hell and yes I can now understand what people in Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford went through. At this point, I'm tired of feeling like i'm being constantly tortured and just want a resolution to this one way or another.

Well said Art!.:handclap: George Castanza'd be proud. Hang in their. Keep your head up & stick on the ice. This is one Canadian thats rooting for ya'll down their in Arizona. :)

billy blaze

May 31, 2009

Ice Edge does not have league approval, they have league encouragement. There has never been a vote as to the suitability of this ownership group ( in whatever form it takes, seems to be a little fluid)

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor
http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/ (1:50)

Prime Time Sports tonight, Mike Sunnucks of Phoenix Business Journal told Bob McCown & John Shannon that Reinsdorf is meeting with COG and a new lease. Says IEH has financing challenges. Reinsdorf camp is close with arena owners in Glendale.

Q: Looks like COG doesn't want to do deal with IEH.
A: Sunnucks said COG has ties with Reinsdorf, therefore may get better lease. "not anti IEH, more pro-Reinsdorf." Steve Ellman involved? He's at some meetings but no indication of part of Coyotes purchase. "He's a voice at the table." (Shannon says Ellman is a detrement to IEH. )

Q: On-ice performance vs. sale?
A: more interest where it used to be a challenge. Make a few rounds of playoffs equals more money, but sponsors and suite deals are slow b/c of the economy. Local sports giving more coverage. $20mill in losses is lowballed vs what really could be $50mill. (shannon adds, maybe it includes the upwards of $16mill revenue sharing coming the coyotes way. Still owe Gretzky $22mill, he will take $8.)

Q:Is it just the parking part of the lease that are sticking points for IEH or Reinsdorf?
A: No parking fees and they have to go to the COG to approve many things, price changes etc.. This was to encourage people traffic. Team is limited to what flexibility they have with prices. Even though great on ice, the bottom line numbers look like its a tough go here.

Q: Has the lease situation been clarified? Will the lease be non binding at the end of this year? Do you believe that is the case and the Coyotes could be moved at the end of this season?
A:Judge didn't get into lease much. NHL has choice as to who is in their "club". Its not cleared up yet, but COG will stick to a long term lease and are going to make it hard for anyone who buys them to get out. (McCown says hes asked 3 people the same question and nobody is 100% clear. Legal obligation?) Shannon says Wpg is #2 to KC, McCown says, "politically" b/c Bettman and Anschutz are buddies.

Q: Do you think Coyotes play in Phoenix next year?
A: Yes, I don't think they'll get a deal done, but should be owned by league again. League wants Reinsdorf, respected owner, would help the league, image wise etc... (McCown: Having said that, last summer Reinsdorfs main objective was to move it to Vegas.)

McCown warns Reinsdorf, "do not go to Vegas. The NHL will not work in Vegas."

Shannon, "the best place for this team might be in Phoenix."
McCown, "no, not in this economy."

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/ (1:50)

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Well said Art!.:handclap: George Castanza'd be proud. Hang in their. Keep your head up & stick on the ice. This is one Canadian thats rooting for ya'll down their in Arizona. :)

Thanks, Killion. We appreciate it. After tonight Yotes a point away from clinching a playoff berth. Home with Lanche Saturday, sellout crowd, the table is set.

You all can keep talking ownership. I'm going to focus on the ice and the game we love.

Cheers, and don't kill each other. Not worth it. ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks, Killion. We appreciate it. After tonight Yotes a point away from clinching a playoff berth. Home with Lanche Saturday, sellout crowd, the table is set.

You all can keep talking ownership. I'm going to focus on the ice and the game we love.

Cheers, and don't kill each other. Not worth it. ;)

yea RR you and the other boys get to the games and have some fun.....the business side of this will work itself out one way or the other and the one controllable variable is getting out to watch your Yotes roll in the playoffs

have fun with it and enjoy the ride......may it be a great one for you guys

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Q: Has the lease situation been clarified? Will the lease be non binding at the end of this year? Do you believe that is the case and the Coyotes could be moved at the end of this season?
A:Judge didn't get into lease much. NHL has choice as to who is in their "club". Its not cleared up yet, but COG will stick to a long term lease and are going to make it hard for anyone who buys them to get out. (McCown says hes asked 3 people the same question and nobody is 100% clear. Legal obligation?) Shannon says Wpg is #2 to KC, McCown says, "politically" b/c Bettman and Anschutz are buddies.

It should be noted that McCown has never believed Winnipeg would never ever get an NHL team again. He has even proclaimed that Mark Chipman has been laughed at by the NHL during attempted to meet with them in the past.

Personally, I don't put any stock in which cities he and Shannon believe are #1, #2, #3 or #4. Everyone on the planet has speculated that Kansas City would get a team at some point (and they probably will) because of the NHL-AEG connection, but as of right now, while they do have a new arena, they do not have a potential owner (none that I've heard of anyways). They are essentially where Winnipeg was ~4 years ago.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks, Killion. We appreciate it. After tonight Yotes a point away from clinching a playoff berth. Home with Lanche Saturday, sellout crowd, the table is set. You all can keep talking ownership. I'm going to focus on the ice and the game we love. Cheers, and don't kill each other. Not worth it. ;)

RR?;. Love your style. Aint' no one "Zoomin You" in the immortal words of Buddy Guy. Am I dreaming?. Dont think so. Hang in pal. :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
yea RR you and the other boys get to the games and have some fun.....the business side of this will work itself out one way or the other and the one controllable variable is getting out to watch your Yotes roll in the playoffs have fun with it and enjoy the ride......may it be a great one for you guys

Thanx. Seems you actually do have some common sense after all.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It should be noted that McCown has never believed Winnipeg would never ever get an NHL team again. He has even proclaimed that Mark Chipman has been laughed at by the NHL during attempted to meet with them in the past.

The guys' a Goober of imaginable magnitude. Try reading his book. Insane.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
RR?;. Love your style. Aint' no one "Zoomin You" in the immortal words of Buddy Guy. Am I dreaming?. Dont think so. Hang in pal. :)

Buddy Guy? Damn, boy, you're aging yourself. Oh, wait, I knew who you were talking about and he's prominent on my IPod. Never mind. :)

I know I said I was off from here, but had to respond to your post. Cheers!

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Unless the NHL is going to bend the rules to allow AEG to own multiple teams, I can't see a team coming to Kansas City in the near future.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
i highly doubt that a respected writer (campbell) from a respected publication (the hockey news) is just going to jump on the rumour bandwaggon weeks/months after theese rumours started. the media (canadian or not) have known of these happenings for a while, but for many reasons actual media people (not bloggers) who have relationships and reputibility at stake are not going to blurt out rumours without knowing that what they are writting is or isnt true. its funny that the big media outlets (tsn,ctv) havent said boo. could this be because thomson owns both organizations? im sure he has put a gag order on both of these media outlets...if not more. now that a few actual media oulets have "let the cat out of the bag", we,re going to start hearing more and more about this situation.

This is an interesting point which I have considered, but never mentioned here. I hope we are not taking this discussion too "off topic," but I would just add that the Aspers of Winnipeg -- the owners of Canwest Corp., Global TV, the National Post and about half of the newspapers in Canada, which is now in bankruptcy protection -- were also initial investors in True North. Canwest is based in Winnipeg. David Thomson, another initial investor, as you mentioned, owns a large amount of TSN, CTV and the Globe and Mail, etc. Even the owner of the Winnipeg Free Press, Bob Silver, was an initial investor in True North. Essentially, a lot of the major media in Canada has connections to True North. The Winnipeg Free Press remains a major sponsor, with the suite concourse at MTS Centre named after the company. And the Aspers have always been and remain very committed to Winnipeg. That does not mean that such owners dictate what their reporters write, but they may exercise some influence.

GHOST

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Unless the NHL is going to bend the rules to allow AEG to own multiple teams, I can't see a team coming to Kansas City in the near future.

AEG would be able to put a multitude of people in an ownership role through their sports connections. Much as I suspect will happen when S Ontario is finally granted a team ( spin off ownership- Tannenbaum or Teachers sell to each other then start the expansion team), Edward Roski of Majestic Realty could be placed by AEG if he sells his minority share in the Kings, even Leiweke could front it, or possibly his brother Tod Leiweke- if AEG wants they will get it.

Don Cherry- Mar 20, 2009= "that guy who owns the NHL ( Anshutz)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad