Part 8: Is Eight Enough? Quoting Bowie "Ch-ch-ch Changes" (Chuck Fletcher named GM & Exec VP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Open. Part 8.

mod edit:

Mod edit 2:

Fletcher is your new GM

Flyers Name Chuck Fletcher Executive Vice President & General Manager

=======================

https://www.tsn.ca/flyers-name-fletcher-general-manager-1.1220289

The Flyers hired Chuck Fletcher as their general manager on Monday in hopes that he can resuscitate a playoff team from a year ago that has become one of the worst teams in the NHL. He's the eighth GM in team history — and the first with no ties to the Flyers since Russ Farwell had the job from 1990 to 1994.

"Our goal is to make the playoffs this year, it's that simple," Fletcher said. "We have work to do and it will be a challenge. But there's no reason why we can't get better and we can't push to make the playoffs and find a way to get in."

Fletcher, who replaces the fired Ron Hextall, had been working as a senior adviser to the New Jersey Devils after spending the last nine seasons as GM of the Minnesota Wild. The Wild had only two playoff series victories under Fletcher, a 25-year veteran of NHL management, and did not renew his contract in April. They went 15-29 in the playoffs during Fletcher's tenure, enough evidence that the roster wasn't built well enough despite all the success the team enjoyed in the regular season.

That didn't dissuade Flyers President Paul Holmgren from pursuing the 51-year-old Fletcher a week after he cut ties with Hextall following 4 1/2 seasons. The Flyers are 11-12-2 and only the Devils are worse in the Eastern Conference. Holmgren fired Hextall citing "philosophical differences" and an "unyielding" approach toward sticking with his methodical rebuilding plan.
Holmgren and parent company Comcast Spectacor want to win now​

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm bored.

They need to announce the new GM within this week to realistically get a new headcoach installed by Christmas latest or we are stuck with Hakstol for the rest of the season.

Reactions: DaphneLion and JPS

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Why would Zito ever agree to be the assistant GM with Fletcher?

Don't like this idea.
If Fletcher disagrees with Holmgren/Clarke had a big item then they'll use Zito against him.

Zito will serve to keep Fletcher in line

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I'm bored.

They need to announce the new GM within this week to realistically get a new headcoach installed by Christmas latest or we are stuck with Hakstol for the rest of the season.
That might be true regardless of who GM is or when that person is hired. I would just caution to temper the expectations.

Reactions: magnumpi

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
That might be true regardless of who GM is or when that person is hired. I would just caution to temper the expectations.

It's possible, but it'd be surprising if the new GM didn't have a guy they wanted to put in right away.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I hope I am wrong but from the sound of Homer, it sounds like Hak is here till the end of season. No matter who is named GM.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
It's possible, but it'd be surprising if the new GM didn't have a guy they wanted to put in right away.

Since Homer indicated that Hakstol might be staying, I would I assume that getting a new coach sooner must be a new hire's condition of employment. And hope, it's not a sticking point in the ultimate decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad