Part 7: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No, because the mods end up deleting about half the posts as OT, flaming, bashing a city, bashing a fan group, trolling..... I may have left something out.

The noise:content has gotten worse. Also--- other than the COG vote and result, what other news has come out? We've had two years of:

1. So and so will buy the Yotes imminently.
2. TNSE will buy a team and move them, imminently.
3. The Thrashers, who have been available for five years, will be sold to a Serb/Greek/Macedonian/Bulgarian/Croatian, along with the Hawks.... imminently too.

:help:

And seriously..... wait for it ....... if something is brewing, you'll have a thread about in less than two weeks. How long should we let two weeks of rumors at a time go?

Look at the big picture FUGU, at the end of the week we're all here. Lots of posts, and reads. Hopefully somebody is making something out of all this. Fact or Fiction, who really cares, this isn't the Washington Post.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
The AJC interviewed daly today. Some important questions were asked. He didn't confirm relocation but his answers say a lot. If there is no thread to post that in how does that information get discussed or even exposed?

Yesterday they interviewed the mayor of Atlanta about the likelihood of government intervention. That was relevant information.

AJC is publishing several articles a day about this issue now. Their insights from the other side of the ball provide a different perspective from the Canadian media that helps balance the discussion.

I'll leave it alone. I dont mean to be a squeaky wheel but those are a few if the reasons why a place to post articles that may not confirm issues but provide valuable information is important.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Why not at least have an "Atlanta situation-links only no discussion" like the PHX one that's sticky'ed in BoH so at least legit info backed up by a link can be shared?(I'm opening pandora's box by throwing the word "legit" in there I know)

If it wasn't for this thread and the ATL forum, most of us wouldn't be aware of anything that went on today until days later.

Fugu

Look at the big picture FUGU, at the end of the week we're all here. Lots of posts, and reads. Hopefully somebody is making something out of all this. Fact or Fiction, who really cares, this isn't the Washington Post.

It's not? THEY LIED TO ME.

If you could see this from the mods' side, you might feel differently. We're all volunteers, originally posters just like the rest of you guys. At times, this kind of stuff takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Fugu you seem a little grumpy today.
Do you need a hug? *opens arms*

This is just my usual sunny disposition. :D

I'll poll the BOHB mods, as we aim to please the membership, but the re-hash side of things gets old after 3 yrs of the same stuff. ;)

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
The real reason I want to continue coming to this web site is to see that dancing Bettman avatar. That is seriously the 6th funniest thing on the entire Internet.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
No, because the mods end up deleting about half the posts as OT, flaming, bashing a city, bashing a fan group, trolling..... I may have left something out.

The noise:content has gotten worse. Also--- other than the COG vote and result, what other news has come out? We've had two years of:

1. So and so will buy the Yotes imminently.
2. TNSE will buy a team and move them, imminently.
3. The Thrashers, who have been available for five years, will be sold to a Serb/Greek/Macedonian/Bulgarian/Croatian, along with the Hawks.... imminently too.

:help:

And seriously..... wait for it ....... if something is brewing, you'll have a thread about in less than two weeks. How long should we let two weeks of rumors at a time go?

I for one applaud your stand against wasting bandwidth! I also don't see why anyone would want to engage in speculation on a message board.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's not? THEY LIED TO ME.

If you could see this from the mods' side, you might feel differently. We're all volunteers, originally posters just like the rest of you guys. At times, this kind of stuff takes a lot of the fun out of it.

This is just my usual sunny disposition. :D

I'll poll the BOHB mods, as we aim to please the membership, but the re-hash side of things gets old after 3 yrs of the same stuff. ;)
Ooops sorry and Thankyou for your work. Sheesh I thought you had a stake in the place or at least being paid something being an administrator and all.

Sheesh I sort of feel bad now, but thanks for all you do and I'll try and be better. I really do feel bad now, just creating extra work for nothing. I'm sorry :(

Fugu

I for one applaud your stand against wasting bandwidth! I also don't see why anyone would want to engage in speculation on a message board.

Egil! Nice to see you here. ;)

It's all a waste of bandwidth. Point being that at least on this site, it's supposed to be moderated. You want to put on the sheriff's badge?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
There may or may not be anything brewing right now.

All I know is that there is NO NEWS about Atlanta from any reliable source and no names.

Furthermore NOTHING has come out of TNSE or the NHL for a very long time either.

Once this thread hits 1000, I'm shutting this down because I don't want to read about the credibility of tweeters, bloggers and our own posters.

No new threads on Winnipeg or Atlanta until a legit news outfit reports something IS happening. Not interested in any "may happens" after this either.

Strange. I've been hearing news, comments and, yes, speculation all week long from TSN, Globe & Mail, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Winnipeg Free Press, Sportsnet, USA Today, Sports Illustrated, Forbes and many, many other outlets. In fact, Bill Daly was just interviewed on the topic. This is not a good time to shut down discussion of this issue on a board supposedly dedicated to following the hockey world.

GHOST

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Egil! Nice to see you here. ;)

It's all a waste of bandwidth. Point being that at least on this site, it's supposed to be moderated. You want to put on the sheriff's badge?

If given a choice between nuking discussion of a subject and backing off on moderating it to truly personal attacks, I would suggest less moderation is the better solution. I don't think saying that an obvious Business of Hockey topic is too hard to moderate so therefore we can't talk about it is a good move.

Fugu

Strange. I've been hearing news, comments and, yes, speculation all week long from TSN, Globe & Mail, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Winnipeg Free Press, Sportsnet, USA Today, Sports Illustrated, Forbes and many, many other outlets. In fact, Bill Daly was just interviewed on the topic. This is not a good time to shut down discussion of this issue on a board supposedly dedicated to following the hockey world.

GHOST

Send me a list, GHOST. Seems I slept through it.

If given a choice between nuking discussion of a subject and backing off on moderating it to truly personal attacks, I would suggest less moderation is the better solution. I don't think saying that an obvious Business of Hockey topic is too hard to moderate so therefore we can't talk about it is a good move.

Egil--- tell me what you want to discuss. Produce one report from TNSE or the NHL or anyone in play that has not hinged on the speculation that if the Coyotes don't close a deal with MH/IEH/JR, then they're moving to Winnipeg. Point being, there is no news out of Winnipeg, and there hasn't been for a long time.

What I don't get about all these complaints is that if you all are so convinced that something is going to happen, closing this down for a couple of days is the worst thing that could happen.

Why the concern then?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Bettman and Daly are both responding the same way today -- i.e., it's up to ASG who they sell to. They are putting this on ASG. They are also not denying relocation is a possibility. Interesting.

See here, for example:

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-b...ndon-thrashers-atlanta-after-rescuing-others/

GHOST

well...

snl-church-lady.jpg

Fugu

Both Bettman and Daly are both responding the same way today -- i.e., it's up to ASG who they sell to. They are putting this on ASG. They are also not denying relocation is a possibility. Interesting.

GHOST

Okay, so this is a case for an ASG thread. They could sell to JB in Hamilton, or KC, or mystery guy in Vegas, or.... TNSE? Right?

Did they deny relocation was a possibility when the Pens were seeking a new arena, or with the Coyotes?

What this tells me is that a team is available for sale. It's the Thrashers. The Blues are for sale too. So is Dallas. Are we getting anywhere?

Daly denies reports that an announcement about the team being sold and moved is imminent: “There is nothing that has been done, nothing has been planned and nothing has been scheduled. Certainly, no transaction has been agreed to, not that I’m aware of.”

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Bettman and Daly are both responding the same way today -- i.e., it's up to ASG who they sell to. They are putting this on ASG. They are also not denying relocation is a possibility. Interesting.

See here, for example:

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-b...ndon-thrashers-atlanta-after-rescuing-others/

GHOST

Interesting. That pretty much means who wins the bidding war, wins the team.

So, except TNSE and Quebecor, are there other groups interested to get a team ?

Fugu

I have other things I need to do and this thread is reaching its maximum size limit.

GHOST--- go ahead and start a new thread.

Please summarize the latest "real news", preferably something this past week once the Yotes issue moved along.

If that deteriorates into the same rehash about why the Jets moved 15 yrs ago, I'll consider my point stands.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad