Part 2 2014 Flyers' Draft Talk [times and TV info in first post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a new thread, similar topic.

Part 1 is closed ( http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1581181 ).

----------------------------------------

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=98570

When is the NHL Draft?
The 2014 NHL Draft will be held at the Wells Fargo Center, beginning with Round One on Friday, June 27 at 7 p.m. The Draft continues with Rounds Two through Seven on Saturday, June 28 at 10 a.m.

Time:
  • Round One: Friday, June 27 at 7 p.m. ET. The first round will be broadcast live by NBCSN in the United States and TSN and RDS in Canada.
  • Rounds Two through Seven: Saturday, June 28 at 10 a.m. ET. Second day coverage will be broadcast live on NHL Network to viewers throughout North America.

Possible link which is currently working: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=626024&catid=616

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I expect them to pick a high potential forward in the 1st round, but I'm wondering about the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I assume they'll pick the best available player available but if two players are close would they lean towards more defensive prospects to hopefully get lucky and land a franchise Dman or will they try to balance out the prospect pool with some more forwards?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
After scouring every scouting report I could find and all the youtube footage of potential picks, here's how I'd rank the potential (forward) picks:

Draisaitl
Bennett
Reinhart
Dal Colle

Nylander
Ehlers
Fiala
Virtanen

Milano
Vrana

Ritche
Kapanen
Perlini
McCann

Barbashev
Pastrnak
Kempe

Tuch
Fabbri
HoSang

Just my opinion. And there's really little separation between tiers, and even less within them.

Really, the only player I don't want is Ho-Sang. I don't want Fabbri either, but that's just because we have less than 0 need for a player like him.

Draft day can't get here fast enough.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If I was Florida I would take Bennett first. He's the best player in this draft in my opinion & has potential to be a Jonthan Towes type of player.

They have some center depth but outside of Barkov I don't really see bonafide top 6 center there.

MadFerIt95*

If I was Florida I would take Bennett first. He's the best player in this draft in my opinion & has potential to be a Jonthan Towes type of player.

They have some center depth but outside of Barkov I don't really see bonafide top 6 center there.

Huberdeau?

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Does anybody know if Simon Nolet was still scouting the QMJHL last year when we drafted Morin? I don't know where to look it up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does anybody know if Simon Nolet was still scouting the QMJHL last year when we drafted Morin? I don't know where to look it up.

Todd Hearty was the head scout of the Q back then as well. He really pushed for Morin the meetings.

Nolet is still on staff. I just have no idea what he does. He may have dialed it back in regards to scouting but he lives in Quebec so he definitely saw Morin last year.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Todd Hearty was the head scout of the Q back then as well. He really pushed for Morin the meetings.

Nolet is still on staff. I just have no idea what he does. He may have dialed it back in regards to scouting but he lives in Quebec so he definitely saw Morin last year.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

I checked Wikipedia and it just says Nolet is currently a scout for the Flyers. That's all I could find about it myself. Good to know we still have his input at least.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Yeah, IIRC Hearty was the one in episode 1 of Flight Plan saying he liked Morin because he would whack an opponent with his stick, or something like that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, IIRC Hearty was the one in episode 1 of Flight Plan saying he liked Morin because he would whack an opponent with his stick, or something like that.

That was Denis Patterson (OHL Scout) who said that. Hearty made mention of Morin's physical play as well though during that video.

Patterson pretty much backed up Hearty the entire time during that video in regards to Morin.

AFTeRMaTH*

One of:
Fiala
Vrana
Barbashev and I'll be a happy little Flyer....

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
All I care about is that the player we draft has too be a very good skater. I would love to draft a forward but, I would love to move up and get Fluery if he fell to 14 or so.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Generally, all I'm really hoping for with their 1st round pick is a generational talent who will single-handedly carry the Flyers to at least 2 Stanley Cups over the next 5 years. Is that too much to ask?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I want a winger that can finish for the first round. Maybe Dougherty in the second?

I honestly doubt he's on the board at pick #48 when the Flyers pick. He'll likely be gone in the first couple of picks in the second round at the latest. He could even sneak up into the 25-30 range.

You could look at guys like Blake Siebenaler & Joshua Jacobs as possible picks though. They're both right handed with good two way play & have good size but room to still add on (Siebebaler - 6'1" 190 lbs. & Jacobs 6'2" 193 lbs.). They're both good skaters as well.

Siebebaler just started playing defense two years ago so he's pretty new to the position but still put up 30 points (6G & 24A) in his first year with Niagara in the OHL. His teammate Aaron Haydon could be another possible pick, he's another righty who's big & skates well. He looks to be a defensive guy but he's developing some offensive skills.

Siebebaler
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=192880

Jacobs
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=168704

Haydon
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=189374

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A good thing for the Flyers is that most of the better defensemen with a second round grade are right handed shots so if they do elect to take one in the second good chance they'll be a righty.

AFTeRMaTH*

Generally, all I'm really hoping for with their 1st round pick is a generational talent who will single-handedly carry the Flyers to at least 2 Stanley Cups over the next 5 years. Is that too much to ask?

oh ok, then you want Ryan MacInnis. Just playin.

Sec201

Aug 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Crazy talk

We all know Tallon might consider trading his 1st overall. This has a snowballs chance I know, but for the sake of good conversation and a good nights sleep and dream suppose we made a play:

Both Schenns and our first for first overall.

It saves us capspace and perhaps gives us $$ for much needed wing help. Our lines look something like this:

Simmonds-g-voracek
Hartnell-vinny-read
Jussi jokinen-coots-(umberger after he's bought out)
Rinaldo-Laughton-akeson

Coburn-McDonald
Streit-hagg
Ekblad-kimmo(assuming he comes back for 1 more year)

Mason
Emery

Grossmann traded for anything. Complete crazy talk or what? I don't have high regards for the Schenns but at the end of the day they were both 1st rounders. They have to have some value to someone.

MadFerIt95*

We all know Tallon might consider trading his 1st overall. This has a snowballs chance I know, but for the sake of good conversation and a good nights sleep and dream suppose we made a play:

Both Schenns and our first for first overall.

It saves us capspace and perhaps gives us $$ for much needed wing help. Our lines look something like this:

Simmonds-g-voracek
Hartnell-vinny-read
Jussi jokinen-coots-(umberger after he's bought out)
Rinaldo-Laughton-akeson

Coburn-McDonald
Streit-hagg
Ekblad-kimmo(assuming he comes back for 1 more year)

Mason
Emery

Grossmann traded for anything. Complete crazy talk or what? I don't have high regards for the Schenns but at the end of the day they were both 1st rounders. They have to have some value to someone.

We'd have to throw in another pick or 2 for them to even consider that trade. Which I doubt they would even accept.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I doubt they trade the first overall pick for the Schenn bros, +17th overall. I would do it. I think he will become a #1, maybe not on the level of Jones, but I think he will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad