Parise....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
parise = sakic? please... you guys are throwing around players names like they come around every year. if parise becomes a sakic, i'll be very very surprised. but a player in the drury point range seems more like where he will end up. not that i dont think it's a steal at #17, i sure wish we got him...

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Parise is a fiesty little guy, well not really little. He does not look for contact but certinly will stick up for his teamates and himself. He got jabbed, hooked, tripped alot last year. NoDak was young team and without Hale there they lacked skilled players with size to protect Parise. So Parise really got it bad. He held his own against much older players. In the NCAA's last year he looked like just another good player. Probally will be in college at least one more year after this one. Cant quite take a game over like a Sakic, but will not do anything to lose the game either. He gave his team chances against Ferris but couldn't put it away. Which i think seperates players.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
parise = sakic? please... you guys are throwing around players names like they come around every year. if parise becomes a sakic, i'll be very very surprised. but a player in the drury point range seems more like where he will end up. not that i dont think it's a steal at #17, i sure wish we got him...

But the Devils aren't going to be looking for a Drury type player, they wanted to draft a bonafided 1st line center who will net more than 50 points. If they thought Parise only had 50 point potential they wouldn't have moved up to draft, or draft him in the first round at all.

X-SHARKIE

Jason, Parise played for North Dakota WCHA...He does not play in the CHL. But I also get to see CHL games thinks to a family friend who lives in a town just south of Thunderbay. Lucky for me he's a big time fan of junior hockey. He's retired and travles and see's soem games. He tapes them for me. I was able to see guys like Bernier, Stone, Stewart, Horton, Staal, Fleury ect. ect. I made a top 30 for 2004 already and I only take in account players I have seen. I also go to Badger games and get my NCAA fix there, I see alot of USHL games as well. But far as CHL I just get tapes from a friend.

Back to Parise. He obviosly can put the puck in the net. It's not a huge reach to say he could put up numbers like Sakic I guess. He's a very fluid skater, very good puckhandler, he's gritty for a such a little guy as well. But like somone else said. It's not every day a player like Sakic comes along. Lets just waite and see how the kid devolopes.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
And btw, where are Gomez and Nedved now??....do they even still play in the league?

Yes. Both are their respective teams number one centers (gomez on the sc winning devils) ...

Lets not forget Heatly or Modano either.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
MissionHockey said:
But the Devils aren't going to be looking for a Drury type player, they wanted to draft a bonafided 1st line center who will net more than 50 points. If they thought Parise only had 50 point potential they wouldn't have moved up to draft, or draft him in the first round at all.

what most people have to realize is that there are only a handful of "stars" in this league. a "sakic" character comes around once every 5-7 years at MOST. just cause nj moved up and stole him, doens't mean parise is bound to be sakic like in the nhl nor that he has the potential to be. sure, the devils want him to be like that, but chances are, he's not going to reach that level. first rounders do NOT equal potential franchise centers. if they were being pumped out every year, we wouldn't have 3rd or 4th line players in the nhl anymore, cause every team would have so many "franchise" players.

not many teams have franchise players and some even go years without one. if parise really was a franchise center, Joe Sakic bound player he probably would have been taken prior to staal, who has been said to be like ron francis. hmm, sakic or francis... sorry, i'd take sakic.

the rule of thumb in a draft is if you draft 3 bonifide nhl players in one year, that draft is considered a success. if you get one franchise center, you pretty much stole the whole draft. i'm not so sure nj did that quite yet.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
what most people have to realize is that there are only a handful of "stars" in this league. a "sakic" character comes around once every 5-7 years at MOST. just cause nj moved up and stole him, doens't mean parise is bound to be sakic like in the nhl nor that he has the potential to be. sure, the devils want him to be like that, but chances are, he's not going to reach that level. first rounders do NOT equal potential franchise centers. if they were being pumped out every year, we wouldn't have 3rd or 4th line players in the nhl anymore, cause every team would have so many "franchise" players.

not many teams have franchise players and some even go years without one. if parise really was a franchise center, Joe Sakic bound player he probably would have been taken prior to staal, who has been said to be like ron francis. hmm, sakic or francis... sorry, i'd take sakic.

the rule of thumb in a draft is if you draft 3 bonifide nhl players in one year, that draft is considered a success. if you get one franchise center, you pretty much stole the whole draft. i'm not so sure nj did that quite yet.

True but there is no hurt in comparing the two players style of games, and from which I hear are pretty similar. I haven't seen Parise play but I know Lou is high on him and that he is banking on either of the 3 centers he drafted are going to be the number 1 center. Shoot Brodeur was drafted 20th overall. So its not like you can't grab fanchise players in the late first round.

Sammy*

MissionHockey said:
True but there is no hurt in comparing the two players style of games, and from which I hear are pretty similar. I haven't seen Parise play but I know Lou is high on him and that he is banking on either of the 3 centers he drafted are going to be the number 1 center. Shoot Brodeur was drafted 20th overall. So its not like you can't grab fanchise players in the late first round.
No, but as unlikely as it is to draft a franchise player, it gets exponentially worse the later you go in any draft.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Sammy said:
No, but as unlikely as it is to draft a franchise player, it gets exponentially worse the later you go in any draft.

Of coarse, its not like teams try to draft the worse players first but this was a deep draft. I'd say Pittsburg got a franchise player out of their draft.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
JasonMacIsaac said:
There are plenty of Sakic mold prospects out there just not too many of them reach the Sakic potential. Parise is one of them.

Agreed. There's no problem talking about what a prospect's maximum upside potential is, even if the chances he reaches that level arn't great (which is basically always the case on average, since few prospects live up completely to their advance billing). If Parise's upside was to be Chris Drury, no one would spend a 1st round pick on him. You draft guys like Parise in the 1st round because you hope and expect them to be at least as good as a player like Drury, with the potential to be more.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
There are plenty of Sakic mold prospects out there just not too many of them reach the Sakic potential. Parise is one of them.

HOw in the world did you post 700 messages in one month? I guess with nonsense like this...

David said:
When will scouts realize that most of the superstars in the league are small guys? Gretz, Sakic, Stevie Y, Dougie Gilmour, Theoen Fleruy, Sergei Samsonov, Paul Kariya, Ziggy Palffy, Saku Koivu, Martin St. Louie, the list goes on and on...it's just that they rather be wrong picking a 6'4" Jason Bonsignore than take a chance of 5'9" Daniel Briere.

:confused:

Jaromir Jagr 6-2 234
Todd Bertuzzi 6-3 235
Mario Lemieux 6-4 230
Joe Thornton 6-4 220
Marian Hossa 6-1 215
Al MacInnis 6-2 204
Sergei Gonchar 6-2 208

The list goes on and on . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad