Parenteau or Briere Now

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
First off this is not a would you redo the summer trade thread. I'm asking that if you were the GM f the Canadians and Patrick Roy asked for a Parenteau for Briere straight up deal right now at the trade deadline would you do it.

Personally I would do it. For the playoffs I think Briere would at least be near Parenteau's level of play and I think we can get a much better player with the cap we save on Parenteau next year.

Feel free to discuss.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Disagree. Parenteau has much more left in the tank. Much more reasonable to expect him to get his game back for the playoffs than to expect Briere to recreate 2010.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tough call, I think I would keep PAP and leave DB with the AVS....PAP hopefully will provide us with some scoring down the stretch, and in the playoffs.....

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
I would keep Parenteau for now, but would definitely trade him for Brière at the end of the season! :sarcasm:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
First off this is not a would you redo the summer trade thread. I'm asking that if you were the GM f the Canadians and Patrick Roy asked for a Parenteau for Briere straight up deal right now at the trade deadline would you do it.

Personally I would do it. For the playoffs I think Briere would at least be near Parenteau's level of play and I think we can get a much better player with the cap we save on Parenteau next year.

Feel free to discuss.

I wouldn't have made the trade when it was made. The 4 million next year is more valuable than what either of DB or PAP could bring to the roster right now.

Wasn't sold on the trade being some genius move when it was made and it certainly looks worse now, although no one could have predicted Pap's injuries, he looks like a player who's lack of conditioning and perhaps knee injury has finally caught up on.

DB while a worse player, was on an expiring contract. When Pap's not in the lineup you don't even know it, in fact, several times I forgot he was part of the roster at all. It's strange too, because MB has shown that he recognizes you can't carry these contracts to be successful, he took a cap dump in order to rid himself of the extra year on Bourque, he took on a higher short term cap hit with Gonchar vs the longer term contract of Moen in order to position the habs better long term, seems like he kind of went against his own philosophy here with the Pap deal. It sucks because we could really use a semi-productive top 6 winger with the cash we have locked into a waste of roster spot in Pap going into next season. Disappointed MB was too short-sighted in this deal.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Briere was useful while on the team but he is done. Really disappointed that since trading Cole MB hasn't been able to find a better winger.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Tough call, I think I would keep PAP and leave DB with the AVS....PAP hopefully will provide us with some scoring down the stretch, and in the playoffs.....

This. Gotta hope for this. This is a guy that very recently was putting up Top-6 numbers, and we could really use that production. Since he's been out for so long he might come back rejuvenated just in time and it would be like adding a top-6 body from within.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Disagree. Parenteau has much more left in the tank. Much more reasonable to expect him to get his game back for the playoffs than to expect Briere to recreate 2010.

I think he's a better player than DB, but much more left in the tank, I don't think so. The extra year in salary doesn't do enough to compensate for the marginal difference between the two.

Should have rode DB to the end of his contract instead of compounding the mistake you made in the first place by acquiring him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
at the time, i was ok with the deal even with the extra year… Briere was basically useless for us and PaP had the potential to rebound…

with what we got out of Parenteau, and very limited expectations that he could improve on that next year, i'd have to say yes.

Briere wouldn't be an upgrade, but he wouldn't be much of a downgrade, and having neither on the books next year is the best option for us.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Briere really wasn't that great in the playoffs. Most of his points were sheer luck.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Erik Cole

Better player than both for sure, I just question his commitment and dynamic in the locker room. Felt like Cole was a pretty big detractor to PK Subban and others. I felt like Cole had checked out and was more of a headache than anything else.

It's totally possible that I've created a problem that wasn't there, but it's certainly the impression I got.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Briere is so washed up he's transparent.

I wish PAP's contract was up after this season. But truth is that he'll be playing for a contract next season and hopefully he comes into camp in better shape ready to play for what could be his last contract in the NHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
PAP.
Brière is arguably not an NHLer anymore at this juncture.
PAP is.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I wouldn't have made the trade when it was made. The 4 million next year is more valuable than what either of DB or PAP could bring to the roster right now.

I agree with this. I liked Briere. There's no questioning his offensive talents but his defensive game would be suspect in a defense first system so I would take my chances with Pap despite not ever having gone to the playoffs.

I'm not worried about PaP's contract. He's an NHLer with one year left. I don't think it would be that hard for MB to move him.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I agree with this. I liked Briere. There's no questioning his offensive talents but his defensive game would be suspect in a defense first system so I would take my chances with Pap despite not ever having gone to the playoffs.

I'm not worried about PaP's contract. He's an NHLer with one year left. I don't think it would be that hard for MB to move him.

Perhaps, but if it's so easy to move, why is he still here? What are we waiting for? The time is now, not halfway through next year.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Perhaps, but if it's so easy to move, why is he still here? What are we waiting for? The time is now, not halfway through next year.

Because I said it would be easy for MB to offload his contract. I never said anything about return. So if we trade him for picks we are not better NOW where we are actually in need of upgrades on wing and in case of injuries. Better to wait until the off season.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Briere is washed up. When we signed him last year he already had nothing left to offer in terms of ES play. It was a horrible signing and MB realized this.

Pap was decent to good during his time earlier in the season. He was pretty unlucky despite getting his fair share of scoring chances and could easily have more points. When he finally returns to the lineup we'll instantly improve in terms of offensive creativity. Hopefully he'll play with Galchenyuk, as he thrives when playing with offensively gifted players who can carry the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad