Paradigm shift in NHL team building

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Which of the following 15 players is not like the others?

Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Nathan MacKinnon
Aaron Ekblad
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews
Nico Hischier
Rasmus Dahlin

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Jack Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Nathan MacKinnon
Aaron Ekblad
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews
Nico Hischier
Rasmus Dahlin

Jack Johnson.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Jack Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Nathan MacKinnon
Aaron Ekblad
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews
Nico Hischier
Rasmus Dahlin

One of them has not been drafted by the Edmonton Oilers? :dunno:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Where’s the paradigm shift, the Sharks are about to win the cup on the shoulders of 1OA Joe Thornton :sarcasm:

LOL, good point! Of course he is not playing for the Bruins.

For several years, fortune had it that 1OAs were on Stanley Cup Winners, and this led to a bunch of pattern seekers (not just on this board) claiming that the almost sure route to becoming a contender was to tank and draft 1OA. They claimed this repeatedly despite it being pointed out that many 1OAs were not huge difference makers. "Ah, but the odds...."

Except for Nathan Mackinnon, the guys drafted 1st overall over the past 15 years are not in the Final Eight. This year, the odds are actually better NOT drafting 1OA.

It's not that drafting is not important. But this over-emphasis on 1OA and 2OA is shifting, and many pundits have noticed it now.

Reactions: Marca61

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

For several years, fortune had it that 1OAs were on Stanley Cup Winners, and this led to a bunch of pattern seekers (not just on this board) claiming that the almost sure route to becoming a contender was to tank and draft 1OA. They claimed this repeatedly despite it being pointed out that many 1OAs were not huge difference makers. "Ah, but the odds...."

Except for Nathan Mackinnon, the guys drafted 1st overall over the past 15 years are not in the Final Eight. This year, the odds are actually better NOT drafting 1OA.

It's not that drafting is not important. But this over-emphasis on 1OA and 2OA is shifting, and many pundits have noticed it now.

Nobody got this because 1. Jack isn't Erik 2. Erik plays on Colorado. I guess because of his injury youre not counting him ?

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Remember when "fortune" made Malkin and Kane perform in the playoffs ?

I can't think of anything else that was at play there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Baseball Coach wants to argue that a team can make the second round without tanking.

That teams can contend without having drafted first overall. Truth is they always could, but the Cup winners happened to have 1OAs in many cases.

Now of course this does not mean that drafting is not important. It is, very much so, but results are not automatic just because a team got to pick first.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Spinning infinity, boy
The wheel is spinning me
It's never-ending, never-ending
Same old story

What if I say I'm not like the others?
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?
You're the pretender
What if I say I will never surrender?
What if I say I'm not like the others?
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?
You're the pretender
What if I say that I'll never surrender?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

The last 4 cup winners in a row have had 1OA's on them. If we extend that the 2OA as you do in this post, it's 9 out of the last 10.

I don't know if that's evidence of the importance of high draft picks shifting.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Something can hardly represent a trend when it's a one-off. If this repeats anually several years into the future, by all means let's talk of a paradigm shift.

Right now it's simply a curiousity.

But it's not only 1 team that's in the mix. It's most teams.

And, the game changed drastically with the enforcement of hooking to the hands and most hits that are called for penalities were clean just a few years ago. So the last two years really are our whole sample size of the new NHL. So the old paradigm doesn't necessarily apply either, just as we're not sure the new one does...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad