Line Combos: Par Lindholm for Nic Petan re-visited

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am sure Dubas would have not done this deal knowing that Kadri would get suspended and Hyman would get injured. Say what you will about Par Lindholm, but he would have helped this team on the PK when our injuries occured. Perhaps when Dubas blames himself for the PK being so bad that perhaps this trade is what he's referring to. I think maybe it's a monumental mistake to shorten your PK help as opposed to wishing that Petan is a diamond in the rough.

Petan showed very little as far as I can tell, and I highly doubt he'll be an NHL regular in the future.

Leafs trade Par Lindholm to Jets in exchange for Nic Petan - Sportsnet.ca

Now that you've had time to process this trade, what do you think?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I don't know if it would have swung the series but I guess you have a point.

We could have gotten Petan for a 6th or something

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It probably went like this, Moore is ready to replace Lindholm at 5-vs-5 and they figured they had enough PK depth.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What if all day was spent on trying to trade for PK Suban? That last minute this was the only deal on the table that he had any ration thinking behind it to make it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Thought Lindholm served a fine enough purpose in his brief time as a Leaf. He would have been in tough to replace Kadri as 3C in the playoffs though. Fair to say he could have been another option for the PK if he were in the lineup, but success or failure of a special teams unit should be on more than just any one player. Lindholm is a pending UFA and Petan has been re-signed for two years. We'll see what's to come.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The point of the deal wasn't Petan.

It was to get Trevor Moore into the lineup to replace Lindholm.

Moore was a go to option ahead of Ennis in the playoffs. Think they would have found a way to work Moore into the lineup. Petan doesn't get re-signed for two years if he doesn't fulfill some kind of purpose.

Reactions: teddygmr

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Thought Lindholm served a fine enough purpose in his brief time as a Leaf. He would have been in tough to replace Kadri as 3C in the playoffs though. Fair to say he could have been another option for the PK if he were in the lineup, but success or failure of a special teams unit should be on more than just any one player. Lindholm is a pending UFA and Petan has been re-signed for two years. We'll see what's to come.

I thought he served fine too.

Even if we removed the scenario where we had injuries in the post-season, what did this move mean? Couldn't we have put Lindholm as a healthy scratch in order to get Moore some experience? I don't mind Moore, but he didn't exactly light the world on fire either.

I strongly believe that when Dubas blames himself for the PK shortcomings he is referring to this trade.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Moore was a go to option ahead of Ennis in the playoffs. Think they would have found a way to work Moore into the lineup. Petan doesn't get re-signed for two years if he doesn't fulfill some kind of purpose.

I don't understand. Who said Petan didn't have a purpose? He does -- minor league depth and possible call up for the 4th line for an organization that is shallow at centre at the moment.

Fact is Lindholm was bringing nothing whatsoever to the table besides being able to PK, but Babcock was playing him a regular shift for 60 games anyway. That couldn't be allowed to continue.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Imagine the deal was for Trouba but both sides just could not come to terms and instead of going home empty handed. Both sides just said, let’s trade the plus plus in the deal so at least we looked like we did something on TDL.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I thought he served fine too.

Even if we removed the scenario where we had injuries in the post-season, what did this move mean? Couldn't we have put Lindholm as a healthy scratch in order to get Moore some experience? I don't mind Moore, but he didn't exactly light the world on fire either.

I strongly believe that when Dubas blames himself for the PK shortcomings he is referring to this trade.

Even though it wasn't much, Lindholm did play a bit for Winnipeg. Perhaps they wanted the extra depth as a playoff team and maybe he would have lost his regular spot with the Leafs? I was happy to see Moore get the playoff opportunity at this point in his NHL career. I don't put a lot of stock in the end of season presser, but fair enough there.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't understand. Who said Petan didn't have a purpose? He does -- minor league depth and possible call up for the 4th line for an organization that is shallow at centre at the moment.

Fact is Lindholm was bringing nothing whatsoever to the table besides being able to PK, but Babcock was playing him a regular shift for 60 games anyway. That couldn't be allowed to continue.

Not that he doesn't have a purpose, but it was in response to you pointing out that the point of the deal wasn't Petan. Not to say that was the entire point, but I don't think Dubas gave him a two year contract to send him to the Marlies, at least not immediately or all that soon ("minor league depth and possible call up"). I think Lindholm would have been more likely to come out of the lineup (at times or regularly, I don't know) without the trade and with a healthy lineup as he became less valuable once he moved from centre to the wing.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I was a little puzzled at the trade considering how Lindholm was basically a regular all year but I don't think it was necessarily bad or a mistake. Yeah, Par played center for a bit, but mainly only when we had injuries, normally Babs preferred him as a winger. I doubt he would've made much if a difference on the PK

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Not that he doesn't have a purpose, but it was in response to you pointing out that the point of the deal wasn't Petan. Not to say that was the entire point, but I don't think Dubas gave him a two year contract to send him to the Marlies, at least not immediately or all that soon ("minor league depth and possible call up"). I think Lindholm would have been more likely to come out of the lineup (at times or regularly, I don't know) without the trade and with a healthy lineup as he became less valuable once he moved from centre to the wing.

I don't know. Lindholm is exactly the kind of player Babcock loves. A talentless gudpro that "stands in the right spot". Polak was 100% right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad