Paper Mario: The Origami King

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
But the gameplay loop of an RPG with no character progression or engaging combat it just plays so frustratingly slow and boring.

Yeah, I don't remember much of the original, but at least badges added a fun wrinkle in TTYD. But yeah, aside from the Pit of 100 trials, you're never really in any danger combat-wise if you're competent enough.

I was never a huge-RPG guy, so I liked the simplified approach they took, but I definitely wish it provided more diversity of combat. I mean, you can equip the "double-pain" badge to effectively play it on hard mode, but that doesn't necessarily make what's happening better, it's just harder.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The game looks incredible. I've never played any Paper Mario games but I think I'm going to get this just for how much I like the art design.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The game looks incredible. I've never played any Paper Mario games but I think I'm going to get this just for how much I like the art design.

Try out the first three, or even just watch them be played on youtube, they're great games. Not Sticker-Star, that one didn't happen.

battra

Oct 24, 2017
My daughter is campaigning hard for me to play it.

Her uncle and I got it for her...but I'm still wrapped up in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Talk about completely tone-deaf and unwilling to accept player feedback. :shakehead

I haven't seen anything about sales but hopefully it sells poorly.

I can't stand this tactic Nintendo, and many fans, employ to defend their games from criticism.

I love so many games that are "accessible" for casual players or for kids. Hell Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is genuinely one of my all time favourite games! A game being simple or "for kids" is never an impediment to us old man gamers enjoying Nintendo games. But if we criticize any particular game too much, then this tired argument is used in defence of Nintendo.

It doesn't seem like anything actually tanks on the Switch, but I would love to see it happen this time.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
So after initially saying I would hold off I ended up buying it after reading more reviews.
I have only just beat the first main area, but it's starting to grow on me a bit more. The story seems fine and the dialogue is pretty top notch stuff honestly. Combat against regular minions is about the same as you've all probably seen and heard, pretty meh and unrewarding, but it gets a bit interesting when you hit the boss battles and I honestly like what they did with how they work. You still have the ring system but it's improved upon.

All in all at first I wasn't sure how long I would keep playing it despite how early into the game I was. I told myself to at least give it a honest shot up until the first area was completed, which I completed last night. Now I'm at the point where I do want to keep playing as my enjoyment has increased, and I've heard the game continues to get better further in.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Dialogue is always top notch for this series and the different areas are all visually stunning. I beat the game a few days ago and the final boss is nice. I dislike the battle system and because of that I skipped many battles. Overall at least for me after beating it, I wouldn’t go back for another play through unless you really like the battle system. TTYD has infinite replay-ability for me and to me it is the last great Paper Mario.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
2 weeks until I start the midnight shift and pop open my brand new Switch....this will be my first game!!

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Waste of time and money this game is.

I don't understand why Nintendo is so against the series returning to it's roots. TTYD is probably the best Mario RPG game ever made. Hell at least Super Paper Mario was at least an action RPG and stayed true to the rest of the games.

Sticker Star was trash, color splash was trash and this game is also trash.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Waste of time and money this game is.

I don't understand why Nintendo is so against the series returning to it's roots. TTYD is probably the best Mario RPG game ever made. Hell at least Super Paper Mario was at least an action RPG and stayed true to the rest of the games.

Sticker Star was trash, color splash was trash and this game is also trash.
Play Bowser's Inside Story. It blows TTYD out of the water.

TTYD is a great game but the combat gets very repetitive very quickly, especially since most of the partners have little to no use in the lategame. The best thing about TTYD is probably the story and even then it takes cues from its predecessor and about every other chapter is weak (2, 4, 6). Once again BIS blows this out of the water too.

I agree that Sticker Star was trash but the next two games have their merits, especially the writing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Played about 3-4 hours so far. Man that battle system is just unbearable. I'm not sure i'm going to be able to play this entire game. I'm already avoiding every battle I can.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I bought it on Craigslist for $25 bucks and played through it.

I thought it was inoffensive, but not particularly memorable. Loved the art-style and the writing, didn't love the gameplay/battles. But that sums up pretty much every Paper Mario game for me other than the N64 game.

Personally, I'd much rather see the 'Mario and Luigi' series get a massive-budget AAA release on the Switch. They're simply better games than any of the Paper Mario games.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I bought it on Craigslist for $25 bucks and played through it.

I thought it was inoffensive, but not particularly memorable. Loved the art-style and the writing, didn't love the gameplay/battles. But that sums up pretty much every Paper Mario game for me other than the N64 game.

Personally, I'd much rather see the 'Mario and Luigi' series get a massive-budget AAA release on the Switch. They're simply better games than any of the Paper Mario games.

The studio behind that series closed in the last year or so sadly. Mario and Luigi apparently saw diminishing returns after the two remakes of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story sold poorly to the point they were getting killed financially. (bad sales + high dev costs = no bueno) the remake of Bowser's Inside Story was allegedly so much of a money pit it forced the studio to cancel all other projects it had cooking and it had the worst debut for a Mario game to date. Kinda makes sense since the original still holds up pretty well and was only like 6 years old at the time.

Sucks because a couple of the games in that series (the original superstar saga and bowser's inside story) were really good games. The series kinda declined in quality after that since the games were heavily dumbed down from Dream Team onwards. Tutorials out the ass, padded sections to make the game seem longer. Just awful.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm done. Played about 4 hours. Battle system is a complete deal breaker. Literally not the slightest bit fun after the first 100 fights. Whoever thought changing a battle system that works/fun to whatever the hell that is I hope has been fired.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Finished the game 100%. Was a lot of fun. The battles can be tedious but the game does introduce a lot of ways to make them less so. And the boss fights are definitely a step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad