Paper Mario: The Origami King

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
The original Paper Mario was my favourite game for years growing up and I also really liked TTYD. My gaming habits changed and the next two completely missed me, but I'm pretty pumped for a new one to be coming out. Hopefully the problems of the last couple are behind them, I don't even know what they are and don't want to even look them up in case I end up looking for them in the new one.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Stolen from a reddit comment...

GameExplain has a Preview that goes over most of it:
  • No XP and level. Gold can be used to one-time boost or buying some upgrades (and you have some heart containers similar to a Zelda). As a consequence, you want to avoid enemies that are not scripted encounters because they tend to be boring and not rewarding enough.
  • Partners are temporary (plot-related) and while they help you in combat, you do not control them.
  • Battles rely on puzzle solving (mostly easy, but some of them are more challenging). Once you solved the puzzle, you essentially one-shot all the enemies. 100% of the interest of battles is about solving the puzzle (rotating the disks). While the randomly generated ones can be boring, the scripted ones are great.
=> While the dialogues and music are great, and the game is fun, this barely qualify as an RPG and the RPG parts are not the interesting ones. Peoples don't talk about RPG elements because they are either non-existent or uninteresting.

I think the Paper Mario series is my biggest disappointment in videogames. :oops:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
SilkyPhonyIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
=> While the dialogues and music are great, and the game is fun, this barely qualify as an RPG and the RPG parts are not the interesting ones. Peoples don't talk about RPG elements because they are either non-existent or uninteresting.
I'm reading a few early reviews that have just been posted within the last day or so and the quoted part above seems to ring true where the dialogue, story and the visuals are all very good. Where on the other hand the combat is crap and people are trying to avoid battles as much as they can.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Paper Mario 64 still holds up beautifully 20 years after its release.
Eh, not sure I agree. Other than the music, TTYD basically makes it obsolete. The combat, story, characters are all massively better in TTYD.

But there's more than enough RPGs on the Switch. The combat is pretty far down the list of worries I have for this game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not the best way to show it off but that's what happens when things are unscripted. I'll probably wait for reviews but I'll likely grab this game further down the road.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think the Paper Mario series is my biggest disappointment in videogames.

Yeah, the first two were just so good, then they completely abandoned what made them great.

I actually just finished a playthrough of TTYD. Hadn't played it since it initially came out. I liked it even more than I remember.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I actually haven’t fully played through TYD so that’s really the main reason I focus on 64 so much, but yeah they’re the pinnacle.

Sure the writing is witty and there are lots of good jokes. But the gameplay loop of an RPG with no character progression or engaging combat it just plays so frustratingly slow and boring. The time between witty dialogues isn’t worth the effort.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, the first two were just so good, then they completely abandoned what made them great.

I actually just finished a playthrough of TTYD. Hadn't played it since it initially came out. I liked it even more than I remember.
The writing and story was what made the first two games good. ...Well, TTYD anyway. The combat is pretty tedious and ultimately rendered moot because you can break the games in half.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad