"Paper Bag Day": Saturday, March 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
On Saturday March 4, 2017, the Jets will host the Colorado Avalanche. Since it's the league worst team, the Avalanche, the Jets could possibly lose, as they have a bad history of mailing it in against bad teams. I propose a new gimmick night. "Wear a paper bag over your head" night.

leafs.jpg

cleveland-browns-fans-sit-in-the-stands-with-paper-bags-over-their-picture-id459998903

knicks-rockets.jpg

This event could be huge. Not only would it be different (the kids will love it), but it could be a fun thing for fans, and send a message by embarrassing True North in front of a national audience (HNIC). Winnipeg fans should not accept mediocrity, and this season will be six years without a playoff win.

Let's do this! There have been cities where as many as 50-100 fans show up with paper bags over their heads. 15,000+ would look awesome on TV, and create a surreal effect. Jets fans are the best, and it's time we sent a message that we will no longer pay some of the highest prices in the NHL for an inferior product. Wear the paper bag over your head with pride.

Winnipeg deserves better.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
And now that you have put it out there, TNSE will hear about it and ban anyone entering the arena with a paper bag.

Wasting your time man.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The 1980s called, they want their fan gimmick back....

But seriously, why would the NHL's most avid and creative fans resort to this?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
And now that you have put it out there, TNSE will hear about it and ban anyone entering the arena with a paper bag.

Wasting your time man.

If True North did that, it would be the best thing ever, since it would bring media attention to the idea.

Toronto, and especially Edmonton took similar drastic measure to quell fan revolts. It backfired. Rexall Place started banning fans that had signs or other items critical of the organization. In Edmonton, within two years of the fan revolt, drastic changes were made, and now Edmonton is a contender (drafting McDavid didn't hurt either).

Once again, the fans have much more power than they realize. If we can send a clean and concise message to the Jets organization that we are not pleased with the direction the club is going in, they will have to listen. Lets do this!

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

The Winnipeg Whiteout started in the 80s. Should we stop that tradition too?

Having fans were paper bags over their heads to send a message is nothing new. Leaf fans had been doing it for some time. It's usually no more than 50 fans in a 19,000 seat arena. Imagine if the whole arena were to wear custom made Jets paper bags over their heads? That would be fun. Obviously the bags would have to be removed for the national anthem, and when getting up off your seat.

This idea could be great. If you really look at it, Oilers fans spent thousands of dollars renting LCD billboards around the city, being critical of the organization. It worked. Why not here?

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase

I wouldn't call us the most avid and creative. 1 year of "gimmicky" chants and a few years of noise doesn't buy us that title forever. It's over, we're middle of the pack now, maybe slightly above average.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I understand the frustration, it really seems like something could be done to improve the team, but how many thought we would be a playoff team this year?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's Winnipeg. We will show our dissatisfaction by paying even more for everything....and saying thank-you.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Paper bags, too funny. Jersey throwing or paper bags or booing throughout game or any other creative way to express frustration over the complete lack of improvement in results and lack of accountability in the organization is fine by me. Jets need to know their results over 6 years is amongst the worse in the nhl which is truely difficult to do. I'm not advocating it, but i wouldn't mind seeing it either...might bring a small smile to my face.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The Winnipeg Whiteout started in the 80s. Should we stop that tradition too?

Having fans were paper bags over their heads to send a message is nothing new. Leaf fans had been doing it for some time. It's usually no more than 50 fans in a 19,000 seat arena. Imagine if the whole arena were to wear custom made Jets paper bags over their heads? That would be fun. Obviously the bags would have to be removed for the national anthem, and when getting up off your seat.

This idea could be great. If you really look at it, Oilers fans spent thousands of dollars renting LCD billboards around the city, being critical of the organization. It worked. Why not here?

of coarse we should stop the white out. we never win with it. like ever. maybe 1 series out of a dozen.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I understand the frustration, it really seems like something could be done to improve the team, but how many thought we would be a playoff team this year?

I think the real issue isn't making the playoffs. It is the lack of effort and concern for putting a team on the ice that is actually trying to do the best thry can. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Having said that, I hate the paper bag issue. I will be a Jet fan forever and denegrating them in public is not something that I want to see.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think the real issue isn't making the playoffs. It is the lack of effort and concern for putting a team on the ice that is actually trying to do the best thry can. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Having said that, I hate the paper bag issue. I will be a Jet fan forever and denegrating them in public is not something that I want to see.

^ this. It's HOW we're losing, especially the very poor efforts that have me unhappy. If we were playing hard but losing because the young talent just needs to learn more I'd be much more optimistic. I'm not a fan of paper bags though for similar reasons. I do fear that fans being too supportive can lead to complacency and lack of accountability though. The current effort should not be acceptable to anyone. We'll see whether management finds it acceptable by what they do in the offseason. I'm willing to give them until then.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I agree with you surprisingly.
Let's do nothing it fits the TNSE
methodology.
Sit there and take it people, it will get much better.
We will extend Maurice!
Re sign Pavelec at a super hot Winnipeg discount !
We'll shake the waiver bushes and come up with a gem !
Give Buff more autonomy!
Reduce Laine's role so that he can learn the game !
We will have one more development year !
It's all falling into place it will be fun.

Why would we resort to wearing bags.

I would say the 80's called and want their Jets back but I can't because those Jets actually made the playoffs

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I wouldn't call us the most avid and creative. 1 year of "gimmicky" chants and a few years of noise doesn't buy us that title forever. It's over, we're middle of the pack now, maybe slightly above average.

Yeah, the only thing loud about MTSC is that damn sound system that's always cranked up to 11. I never bought into this loudest arena BS. A little adversity, and the crowd gets taken out as easily as my trash on Thursday night.

So, if I have this right, 15,000+ people will be wearing paper bags, kneeling during the anthems, not shouting True North, throwing jerseys on the ice and boycotting the concessions. That should make us the lead story on The National. Woot! :laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, the only thing loud about MTSC is that damn sound system that's always cranked up to 11. I never bought into this loudest arena BS. A little adversity, and the crowd gets taken out as easily as my trash on Thursday night.

So, if I have this right, 15,000+ people will be wearing paper bags, kneeling during the anthems, not shouting True North, throwing jerseys on the ice and boycotting the concessions. That should make us the lead story on The National. Woot! :laugh:

PAPER bags people PAPER
As Mitch Hedberg said
To hell with purple people.... unless they're suffocating....then help 'em

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
PAPER bags people PAPER
As Mitch Hedberg said
To hell with purple people.... unless they're suffocating....then help 'em

Well, that would be quite the protest. I can just picture it. People all around start passing out and slumping forward, and the arena is filled with the outraged cries of "Stop leaning!". :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We are making the assumption that the ownership doesn't actually care about winning. There is no evidence in that regard. They might not know exactly how to solve it, but paper bag heads aren't exactly going to give much direction.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Paper bags, too funny. Jersey throwing or paper bags or booing throughout game or any other creative way to express frustration over the complete lack of improvement in results and lack of accountability in the organization is fine by me. Jets need to know their results over 6 years is amongst the worse in the nhl which is truely difficult to do. I'm not advocating it, but i wouldn't mind seeing it either...might bring a small smile to my face.

Way to take a stand.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman

Wasting your time man.

And that would be huge. It would blow up all over TSN/Sportsnet. News that TNSE has banned fans from wearing bags on their heads? Pretty sure the coverage from that would be more embarrassing for them.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Like pretty much every sports teams home crowd.

Rating fan bases is stupid, so is judging them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad