Management Papa Jacobs, Charlie and Cam look back at 2017-18 season and hopes for the future

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Very annoying press conference. Gambling, the tiresome Marchand stuff. The only interesting comment to me came from Neely when talking about the search for a bigger defenseman. Are they looking for a left-shot 4-5 guy who can fill in against heavier teams, or a permanent replacement for Krug or Gryz? Unclear. Also, too bad he wasn't asked about Zboril, who is a heavy-style left-shooting D-man who can skate really well and is developing his game down in Providence. Would have loved to hear something about him from the management perspective.

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Very annoying press conference. Gambling, the tiresome Marchand stuff. The only interesting comment to me came from Neely when talking about the search for a bigger defenseman. Are they looking for a left-shot 4-5 guy who can fill in against heavier teams, or a permanent replacement for Krug or Gryz? Unclear. Also, too bad he wasn't asked about Zboril, who is a heavy-style left-shooting D-man who can skate really well and is developing his game down in Providence. Would have loved to hear something about him from the management perspective.

Blame the reporters for the questions, not the brass. Would have liked to hear their thoughts on Rask.

I liked it. Both were clearly not happy with the effort in the Tampa series. Neely put Sweeney on the spot saying they need to get bigger on the left side of the defense and will work on it this summer. Called out Beleksey and Backes with the big money contracts (how big money may change you and not fitting in like expected) and how it's important to build from within. Said Carlo needs to be more physical. Said Krug needs to work on his 5 on 5 play. Said there was only one offseason surgery planned (on your 12th forward, so much for the injury excuses). Was easy on Rick Nash because of his injury. Both are at the end of their ropes with Marchand's idiotic behavior and he used up his "margin".

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Had any other owner done these player critiques? No reason to say anything about Marchand.

Are you serious?

There have been antics every year that either result in discpline, controversy or both when it comes to Marchand. I think they have been very patient and supportive of him throughout because he’s otherwise such an excellent player. He’s 30 now, past the point of saying “he’ll grow out of it”. They have every right to grow tired of it and call him out. Nothing harsh about what they said and its not like they looking to get rid of him in some overreaction.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
See we all know having Krug and Grizz isn't ideal due to size. BUT lets assume we aren't giving Krug a monster contract when his ends in 2 years.

Don't discount Grizz's ability to develop his offense and essentially be a 1st PP QB and a Krug replacement offensively. He won't be AS good offensively. But if you get him to ink a 5 year 10 mil deal you get to replace Krug for 1/3 of the cost with a guy who is better defensively. Grizz was a rookie and did well. Of course hes limited overall due to size but offensively don't discount him developing offensively and being really good and putting up a ton of points in a couple years.

I am cool with bringing the same group back next year. Kick the tires of Krug+ for a Chara replacement this summer since his value will be gone next summer when hes in his last year. But its not a bad 7 guys to roll with and the 3 kids can all take big steps and make up for the 4 older guys shortcomings.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins top management/ownership is dysfunctional

Charlie is in charge of Delaware North in Boston BUT NOT THE BRUINS as the team is owned by Jeremey and his wife. Delaware North is the family business but the Bruins are separate. Charlie has done a good job developing the "Hub on Causeway" and I think those of us who are local are excited by it.

Cam is the buffer between hockey ops and ownership.

But as we saw with the Blackhawks 10 years ago things can change when the patriarch dies.

Everybody in hockey assumed that Arthur Wirtz would take over the team but from the grave Dollar Bill gave the team to another son Rocky and nobody can dispute the results.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Charlie is in charge of Delaware North in Boston BUT NOT THE BRUINS as the team is owned by Jeremey and his wife. Delaware North is the family business but the Bruins are separate. Charlie has done a good job developing the "Hub on Causeway" and I think those of us who are local are excited by it.

But as we saw with the Blackhawks 10 years ago things can change when the patriarch dies.

Everybody in hockey assumed that Arthur Wirtz would take over the team but from the grave Dollar Bill gave the team to another son Rocky and nobody can dispute the results.
Poor Charlie still doesn’t come across well. They should just go with the old man or just Charlie in these pressers. I don’t think it was too bad IMO.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Don't worry, Evil never dies, JJ will outlive us all.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I enjoyed the press conference and comments after

I learned it in my mind concluded a couple of major things I had no idea about

They are going after someone like Hanifin and Krug’s long and maybe short term position could be in question

The Marchand take by JJ was spot on in my world and glad he said it and how he did it- reminded me how my folks would have said to me ‘enough is enough you used up your rope.’

I thought it was great but I’m realizing my thoughts as pointed out by a few are outdated

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I'm amazed Monty Burns knows who Marchand is. Must have started noticing the amount the amount of his checks.
upload_2018-5-18_11-4-10.png

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I did a little research in Nelson Smith and I’m glad I did.

Puts this article in perspective

The only research you need is the list of headlines for crap articles that he wrote on that site.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We have been down this road before - Jacobs does not tolerate a player embarrassing the organization and his words today indicate Brad is on thin ice.
Does anyone realistically think the team will trade Marchand if he steps over the line again? I have a hard time seeing it. I get more of the feeling of a frazzled mom screaming "don't make me say it again!"

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Jacobs was 6th on this list, Marchand 8th

Top 15 Reasons People Hate the Boston Bruins

WOW, that piece of poopoo was just about the worst sports article (if you could call it that) that I've EVER read. Just garbage. There were so many holes in this terribly written little paper that it really isn't even worth critiquing it line for line because the critique would be longer than the article. This they pull a drunken Canadiens fan out of a bar room to write this mess or what?!!

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad