But Bob Kraft leaves both in the dust

1680910181606.png

1680911282870.png

The Celtics owners are just getting by

1680910451462.png

Last edited:

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
That’s a comical amount of money to have.

Guy could give me 1% of that and he would barely notice. But my family would be set for generations lmao.

Reactions: Gordoff

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Good for them. The point of being in business is to win and make money.

The “Jacobs doesn’t spend money” line is tired and false. Feel your feelings about the early years and missed opportunities if you want to, but it’s simply not accurate anymore.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The “Jacobs doesn’t spend money” line is tired and false. Feel your feelings about the early years and missed opportunities if you want to, but it’s simply not accurate anymore.
@Kate08 - That is dead on. Jacobs gave Harry the keys and trusted his judgment.

Jacobs avoided the media and his first media splash happened when Joe Thornton was traded and he angrily called Glen Ordway and ripped him to shreds.

What Jacobs WILL NOT DO is lose money to buy a championship - it goes against the DNA that made him a billionaire. He fought for cost certainty in the NHL because he wanted to stop situations as we saw in Detroit and New York. The Wings owner was willing to lose $10 million a year to get his name on the Cup.

Jacobs was trying to protect the entire league even when that cost certainty caused cap issues with his own team.

The man is a paradox - I can tell you he was personally embarrassed at how barebones the FleeetCenter was in 1995 but he entrusted Larry Moulter to build the arena.

In any event, nobody can deny that TD Garden today has become one of the best venues in North America.

His loyalty to Western New York and the City of Buffalo is genuine. He could have easily moved Delaware North to a more tax-friendly place but he was committed to investing in downtown Buffalo and the city has bounced back.

He SHOULD have been the Sabres owner when they were granted an expansion team in 1970 but the family name was too toxic then, 5 years later he was allowed to buy the Bruins from TV38.

Nobody can complain about the current product on the ice. ( We WILL at HF Bruins as that is what we do )

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
View attachment 683564

John Henry right behind him

View attachment 683567

But Bob Kraft leaves both in the dust

View attachment 683568

View attachment 683577

The Celtics owners are just getting by

View attachment 683570
1680943214040.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Jacobs avoided the media and his first media splash happened when Joe Thornton was traded and he angrily called Glen Ordway and ripped him to shreds.

What Jacobs WILL NOT DO is lose money to buy a championship - it goes against the DNA that made him a billionaire. He fought for cost certainty in the NHL because he wanted to stop situations as we saw in Detroit and New York. The Wings owner was willing to lose $10 million a year to get his name on the Cup.

Jacobs was trying to protect the entire league even when that cost certainty caused cap issues with his own team.

The man is a paradox - I can tell you he was personally embarrassed at how barebones the FleeetCenter was in 1995 but he entrusted Larry Moulter to build the arena.

In any event, nobody can deny that TD Garden today has become one of the best venues in North America.

His loyalty to Western New York and the City of Buffalo is genuine. He could have easily moved Delaware North to a more tax-friendly place but he was committed to investing in downtown Buffalo and the city has bounced back.

He SHOULD have been the Sabres owner when they were granted an expansion team in 1970 but the family name was too toxic then, 5 years later he was allowed to buy the Bruins from TV38.

Nobody can complain about the current product on the ice. ( We WILL at HF Bruins as that is what we do )

Fair enough.

He is, and always will be, a scumbag in my eyes.

1680943445066.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

We will also complain about the ice.

It's just downright embarrassing at this point.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I can tell my opinion that billionaires are very bad for society won’t be welcomed here.

But feel free to reach out if you’d like me to expand on this. I have a two month lecture ready to go at any time. And by two months, I mean I just talk for two months straight.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We will also complain about the ice.

It's just downright embarrassing at this point.

I will just say this

The OFFICIAL NHL ice resurfacing machine is ZAMBONI

The Bruins use Olympia

:banghead:

Ironically the Bruins were the FIRST NHL team to use a Zamboni

1680945835283.png

As late as 1968 Chicago was doing it by hand

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I will just say this

The OFFICIAL NHL ice resurfacing machine is ZAMBONI

The Bruins use Olympia

:banghead:

Ironically the Bruins were the FIRST NHL team to use a Zamboni

View attachment 683666

As late as 1968 Chicago was doing it by hand

The question is why.

Why?

I honestly don't know the answer.

You never hear the players complain about it. I suspect privately, they do.

Vociferously.

Can the old man be *that* cheap, that obstinate, given that, at present & and on paper anyway, his management is icing the best regular season record in the game?

Purely from a business and profit standpoint, I don't get it.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I get all that and I certainly think Jeremy Jacobs would've been a better patron for the Buffalo Sabres and the Buffalo Bills than the Pegulas.

To me, Jeremy Jacobs will always be a despicable man that's Montgomery Burns in living flesh and bone. Say what you will about Mike Illitch, at least he loved the Red Wings and was willing to do the best by the people the way Robert Kraft does for the New England Patriots. Never have I once felt Jeremy Jacobs has respected the concerns any one of us has had as fans until it hurt his bottom line and wallet to the point it became too embarrassing and shameful. It took the Bruins having two wasted seasons and the fans rebelling by not showing up and having swaths of opposing team's fan jerseys showing up while the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots dominated headlings to have him finally to tune out ol Smithers in Harry Sinden and hire an outsider like Peter Chiarelli to build a winning cup team. Everything done now to make the Bruins successful has been done in spite of the Jacobs family owning the Bruins. Not because of it.

Let's also not forget that ol Burnsy has been the poisonous voice in the ear in the board of governors that gives Bettman his marching orders to push dumb shit on the league like blocking Phoenix's relocation and Quebec getting the Nordiques back, as well as being a hardliner intent on shafting the players in the lockout labor negotiations of 2012. Oh and let's not forget that he was laying off many of the people who worked for Delaware North Sports until the backlash got so bad he was shamed into paying up and not being a greedy little pig, not to mention the horrific seating reconfiguration of TD Garden that sacrificed fan comfort for dollar signs.

I give all the credit for the Bruins success to the people who somehow managed to make lemonade out of all the lemons Jacobs keeps giving them. Charlie may be "running the show" now (somehow even after the embarrassment that was the Mitchell Miller error), but the name on the paychecks read Jeremy Maurice Jacobs Sr. I just hope, like with Chicago when Rocky Wirtz took over the team from his infamous father Dollar Bill Wirtz, someone within the Jacobs family will actually care about this team and not treat it like a line in a business portfolio the way Jeremy has done. I used to think that would be Charlie. Now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I can tell my opinion that billionaires are very bad for society won’t be welcomed here.

But feel free to reach out if you’d like me to expand on this. I have a two month lecture ready to go at any time. And by two months, I mean I just talk for two months straight.

I for one enjoy licking the boots of the billionaire class in hopes that it makes me seem rugged and individualistic.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That's a big bounce back since the pandemic knocked Delaware around and reduced the Jacobs' net worth to 'only' $2.5 billion. Clearly they've pulled themselves out of that rough patch very well.
Yeah that comeback makes feel better, I will sleep well tonight.....

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

True but.. lce Plant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad