Goalies: Pants? Helmet?

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I have been having a great time playing goalie for roller hockey with my friends and was wondering if I should try to play on the ice. First, I have some questions.

I do have some ice hockey pads (pads, glove, blocker), they're cheap(price-wise) but they get the job done.

As far as pants go, since I was a skater and have ice hockey equipment, can I just use my pants that I already have?

Also, the mask: I have a helmet/cage combo from my when I was skater. The question is, can I buy a plastic neck protector and tie it to my cage? I hate the new style helmets.

Finally, I'll only be playing goalie during some pick-up games at the local ice rinks, nothing competitive.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
no, and no

goalie pants have way more protection if you wear skater's pants you will get hurt a lot.

as for combo mask, if you MUST go combo, you will have to

1. find the right helmet, it has to be one with limited flat spots and soft foam (the new hard foam helmets will not work). helmets that fit the bill are
- jofa 280/281/282 helmets aka the ones that irbe and hrudey wore
- jofa 390 or the new rbk 3k
- cooper sk2000 cloutier and osgood wore these

if you find one of the above mentioned helmets, you have to make sure the plastic is not brittle and the foam is still soft, these helmets were made way back in the 90s so it is very hard to find one in good shape. but you have no other choice cause those are pretty much the only helmets that will deflect a puck properly, the new ccm/bauer helmets will result in a concussion because they will take the impact of the puck directly.

another option for the helmet is to order a combo helmet from Shawn at Custom Made Masks or Sean at Olympia Composites. they are fibreglass and kevlar remake models of the sk2000, they are more protective than the old plastic bucket but they are about 350 and 600 dollars to buy respectively.

2. get a proper goalie cage and not a cage for skaters
goalie cages are made of better metal and better welds, skater cages might just give out on you. not safe

goalie cage options are
hm30 bird cage - the ones that cloutier and osgood wore
hm50 cage - hasek wore this
jofa 262/274 - irbe/hrudey style
jofa 387 - safest combo cage but visibility poor
jofa 267 - soderstrom cage

if you cant find the original version of these cages, warwick, olympia composites, rey (in czech republic), all make these cages now but they are way more expensive, you'd be looking at 100 dollars plus for any of them

3. get a really rreally good neck guard

two words : maltese gel combo

your neck is going to be a lot more exposed in a combo bucket than it would be in a mask, you need a good neck guard, the plastic dangler does nothing, it will shatter on a slap shot. maltese combo would be the only thing that would make me feel safe if i was still wearing a combo today (i used to be a combo wearer but have since jumped to the dark side)

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
no, and no

goalie pants have way more protection if you wear skater's pants you will get hurt a lot.

as for combo mask, if you MUST go combo, you will have to

1. find the right helmet, it has to be one with limited flat spots and soft foam (the new hard foam helmets will not work). helmets that fit the bill are
- jofa 280/281/282 helmets aka the ones that irbe and hrudey wore
- jofa 390 or the new rbk 3k
- cooper sk2000 cloutier and osgood wore these

if you find one of the above mentioned helmets, you have to make sure the plastic is not brittle and the foam is still soft, these helmets were made way back in the 90s so it is very hard to find one in good shape. but you have no other choice cause those are pretty much the only helmets that will deflect a puck properly, the new ccm/bauer helmets will result in a concussion because they will take the impact of the puck directly.

another option for the helmet is to order a combo helmet from Shawn at Custom Made Masks or Sean at Olympia Composites. they are fibreglass and kevlar remake models of the sk2000, they are more protective than the old plastic bucket but they are about 350 and 600 dollars to buy respectively.

2. get a proper goalie cage and not a cage for skaters
goalie cages are made of better metal and better welds, skater cages might just give out on you. not safe

goalie cage options are
hm30 bird cage - the ones that cloutier and osgood wore
hm50 cage - hasek wore this
jofa 262/274 - irbe/hrudey style
jofa 387 - safest combo cage but visibility poor
jofa 267 - soderstrom cage

if you cant find the original version of these cages, warwick, olympia composites, rey (in czech republic), all make these cages now but they are way more expensive, you'd be looking at 100 dollars plus for any of them

your neck is going to be a lot more exposed in a combo bucket than it would be in a mask, you need a good neck guard, the plastic dangler does nothing, it will shatter on a slap shot. maltese combo would be the only thing that would make me feel safe if i was still wearing a combo today (i used to be a combo wearer but have since jumped to the dark side)

Thanks for all of this info. Would you happen to know what helmet Hasek wore?

So, I'm thinking that I'll borrow one of my brother's friend's pants, chest protector and helmet for now... both are made for ice hockey.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Thanks for all of this info. Would you happen to know what helmet Hasek wore?

So, I'm thinking that I'll borrow one of my brother's friend's pants, chest protector and helmet for now... both are made for ice hockey.

He wears a Warwick, which you can buy directly from the company here:
http://www.warwickmaskcompany.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=2

It's very expensive, and if it's outside your price range than I would suggest trying to find a second hander. Try ebay, I looked and found a couple that might suit you there, for a lot less than brand new. Just make sure that it's not cracked and actually IS a goalie helmet, rather than just a new helmet meant for a skater!

But here's an example of what you CAN find used, that you may be able to get.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Jofa-282-Goa...aultDomain_0&hash=item3a7b1a2b1b#ht_500wt_949

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Hasek wore Cooper SK2000 with a HM50L when he was with Buffalo, then when he moved to Detroit Warwick made him a copycat helmet but with Kevlar instead of plastic. You can get the Warwick online for about a grand.

Since Hasek retired and started playing in the Czech league and KHL, he has been using another copycat helmet, but this is made by Rey in Czech Republic. Rey offers this combo to the general public as well, only for about 500 bucks, much cheaper than the Warwick, I can't speak for its quality vs Warwick though. that i dont know.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
He wears a Warwick, which you can buy directly from the company here:
http://www.warwickmaskcompany.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=2

It's very expensive, and if it's outside your price range than I would suggest trying to find a second hander. Try ebay, I looked and found a couple that might suit you there, for a lot less than brand new. Just make sure that it's not cracked and actually IS a goalie helmet, rather than just a new helmet meant for a skater!

But here's an example of what you CAN find used, that you may be able to get.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Jofa-282-Goa...aultDomain_0&hash=item3a7b1a2b1b#ht_500wt_949

PS, I would not buy that helmet on the Ebay link there, its a decent combo but not worth 150 for sure.

A red 282 is a rare find and probably worth 50 on its own. But the GMF50 is a terrible goalie cage and will bend on the slightest slap shot, you'd be looking for a replacement cage after 2 or 3 shots to the mask. I would not buy the GMF50, ever. Not worth the money.

Further, that dangler is not GTP either, the GTP is the ideal dangler for the HM30/GMF50 cages and they are harder to find. The n17 (maybe its a n18 i forget) dangler is easy to find in the shops for 20 bucks

you'd be paying 150 for a 50 dollar helmet, a crappy cage, and a dangler that can be found everywhere in hoockey shops across the globe.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com

That's 3 words. :D

That said I agree 100%. The combo is awesome. I was hesitant to get rid of my dangler, but Phil convinced me to do it and I'd never go back. I don't miss the clanking sound one bit and now it doesn't cover the art work on the chin of my mask. :)

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

That said I agree 100%. The combo is awesome. I was hesitant to get rid of my dangler, but Phil convinced me to do it and I'd never go back. I don't miss the clanking sound one bit and now it doesn't cover the art work on the chin of my mask. :)

Where could I buy one? Any online stores in particular?

Also, what's the best way to break in a goalie glove?

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Where could I buy one? Any online stores in particular?

Also, what's the best way to break in a goalie glove?

look up keeps33's glove break in method on google

i know lol, i was gonna change the error but since no one brought it up i decided to just leave it.
phil says his combo price is going up to 130 soon, i might buy another one myself before his pricing goes up!

hm, helmet is exactly what you are looking for, foam looks good and will probably look really nice if you take it out and soak it in hot water and bleach to get all the dirt out.

i wouldn't wear that cage though, i have one from when i was like 6 years old, its a piece of crap.

i might just buy the helmet and find a cage elsewhere

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
There is one more cage that I would to Hank4Hart's informative post.

They don't come up that often but the Cooper GL-100L is a very good goalie cage/dangler combo. The dangler is made of wire (same kind as the cage) and is attached to the cage. Have had one for many years attached to my Jofa 390 for playing in goal.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
There is one more cage that I would to Hank4Hart's informative post.

They don't come up that often but the Cooper GL-100L is a very good goalie cage/dangler combo. The dangler is made of wire (same kind as the cage) and is attached to the cage. Have had one for many years attached to my Jofa 390 for playing in goal.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2137/fmcoopergl100.jpg its this one right here..

one of the most impossible things to find in the goalie industry today, same with the torspo cages.

@OP i also forgot, a good substitute for the hm30 would be sport mask's SM90 cage, its about 90 bucks and you can order it via the hockey shop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad