GDT: Panthers @ Wings | 7:30PM ET | The Why is Jimmy Howard Still Starting? Edition

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Team is an absolute joke. From management, to coaching, to the players. We are a joke.

On the bright side Tampa plays tomorrow, so at least I can be entertained. Sad how I have more fun watching Tampa than I do our own team.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We don’t know if he was called off the ice. Coaches utilize the length of the bench in 3 on 3. If the 3rd man got off on the opposite side of the bench, I’d bet that was a coaches call. Wouldn’t surprise me either, considering how many bench minors Blashill incurs.
If that's the case then whoever came on the ice must've been dogging it. You couldn't even see them onscreen.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If that's the case then whoever came on the ice must've been dogging it. You couldn't even see them onscreen.

You could from 1 angle. Mantha was just to the outside boards (still on the ice) as goal was being scored. I have no idea how he skated to the bench slower than the other two Wings players raced down ice and were *helping* defend.

No hustle.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You could from 1 angle. Mantha was just to the outside boards (still on the ice) as goal was being scored. I have no idea how he skated to the bench slower than the other two Wings players raced down ice and were *helping* defend.

No hustle.
ah. I missed that.

I wonder if Mantha was overly confident that his teammates would break up the play or he was sure the game was over.

3 on 3 you need to hustle your ass to bench even moreso than regulation.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

No hustle.

Hate to say it, but it just looked like everyone assumed that Howard made the save and it would have been frozen.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Mantha had just gotten to the bench as the goal was being scored

Yuck if that’s the case.

Really, though, that was that unit’s 3rd rush. Once AA circled back to make a drive to the net, DD should’ve immediately gotten back behind AA because you know whatever AA does with that puck is going to be the last drive for that unit. Mantha should’ve been ready to move as well but being there for the potential scoring chance isn’t a bad move either.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Can Holland and Blash do math? Cuz we're on pace for 77 points. And not an entertaining type pace. Very dry boring and vanilla type hockey.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
we picked a good year to suck with this draft class coming up

f*** yeah we did. I've gone from being disappointed about losses to disappointed about guys like Green and Nyquist having poor individual games at the end of the day because they're worth 1st and 2nd rounders this year.

Reactions: TheMule93

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
**** yeah we did. I've gone from being disappointed about losses to disappointed about guys like Green and Nyquist having poor individual games at the end of the day because they're worth 1st and 2nd rounders this year.

I am personally hoping Green and Abdelkader both have good seasons. I hope that a few teams have a Gaustad moment and bid war Abby up to a first rounder.

Reactions: Reddwit

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Feeling good about my decision to wear my hockey fights.com t-shirt today. At least the fights were kinda entertaining. Keep losing boys, nothing good comes from winning games. We need a new GM, a new coach, and lots of good draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd have to see it again but I don't think he was just sitting there. He slid past the goal got back up and got in the play, unfortunately too late.

Whereas there were three Panthers players around the net and the third Wings player was nowhere to be found. Curious as to what happened.
AA actually grabbed the guys stick. It's all he really could do once he lost his stick. Third guy who should have been back checking like a demon was nowhere to be found.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I am personally hoping Green and Abdelkader both have good seasons. I hope that a few teams have a Gaustad moment and bid war Abby up to a first rounder.

The Red Wings won't trade Abdelkader.
He's a lifer.
Maybe they try to shop Helm or Nielsen.
But Abby and Glenny and the Michigan crew are lifers.
Look how long Miller managed to stick around as a dime-a-dozen 4th liner.

Reactions: avssuc

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Nobody is talking about it, but the ice at the LCA sucked.
Simple passes were bouncing over sticks. Guys would skate along and the puck would jump over their stick. Nearly every pass the Panthers took on the point in the third period was backed by the skate, fearing it would hop over their stick.
Guys who skate well were stumbling on their push offs.

Someone needs to do something about the f***ing ice in that place.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Can Holland and Blash do math? Cuz we're on pace for 77 points. And not an entertaining type pace. Very dry boring and vanilla type hockey.
Yeah wish we could have had one of those dominant entertaining 77 point teams full of star players

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
LCA has to have the worse ice in all of hockey... whether it be high school hockey or pee-wee hockey. Embarrassing.

Boy, a billion dollars doesn't buy what it used to. Back in my day you could get 10 billion candy bars for that!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Mantha was so drained after their rush I don't think he could have got back much faster than changing. It was the right idea. Problem is it ended up taking over 5 or 6 seconds after AA got poked to get a man over the boards; that's poor communication on the bench.

DeKeyser and AA though, what an epic comedy of errors. Athanasiou races back in time but loses his stick and flies off to the side of the net. Danny D slides past the play, puck goes through his leg for a break at the net which he lunges after, collapses, then gets his stick caught. Such a childish fail but that's pretty much what I expect from DDK at this point.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
lol, and Dekeyser overstates his man in the defensive end to boot. But let’s blame AA!!!

If that’s Zetterberg holding on tonthat puck, everyone is *****ing about the late man back and not AA. The anti-AA obsession is just too much.
He doesn't deserve blame there because he should be expected to cough up the puck at the blue line due to the fact he isn't all that great of a hockey player and has no head on his shoulders. Nobody should have been surprised by that, especially his teammates.

The anti-AA obsession is too much just as the crowd that thinks he's some future superstar is too much. He will be nothing more than a one-way player capable of scoring 40 points, unless he's on a team where elite players can make up for his glaring, obvious shortcomings.

He is the equivalent to people thinking Tatar and Nyquist were going to be Eurotwins 2.0 which, by the way, is an absolute insult to Datsyuk and Zetterberg. An insult. What the hell do Nyquist and Tatar do if they aren't scoring? Sound like somebody?

And here comes the crowd saying we never said Tatar and Nyquist were going to be that, just as people didn't lose their kneejerk shit thinking Nyquist was gonna be the next 50 goal scorer because he had an unsustainable shooting percentage that Red Wings fan thought he could sustain.

Wanna know the shitty part of all of this?

Green is the only player worth a damn when it comes to the trade deadline. That's it. I guess Dekeyser is a steal at $5 million though, hopefully some team rings Holland for him. Maybe Holland can fleece Edmonton with Mrazek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad