Panthers' trade deadline moves - real reason?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by jol, Mar 6, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. jol

jol Registered User

Analyst
    Home Page:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. danishh

danishh Registered User

3. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

The link is broken - but I assume the blog is refering to the second round of Revenue Sharing - as part of the Final Escrow Disbursements.

Assuming that there are excess escrow funds remaining after revenue sharing, teams with an Actual Club Salary less than the Cap Mid-Point receive funds for the difference between their payroll and the midpoint - with some caveats. The effect is that if a team cuts their total payroll (actually spent) to below the midpoint, then they receive up to $2 in benefit for each $1 below the midpoint they are - $1 in direct savings on salary and another $1 in an increased share in the escrow distribution.

4. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Ugh.

In my books the whole Revenue Sharing system the league has is ridiculous. IMO, to be eligible for revenue sharing you should be operating at at least 90-95% capacity in terms of paid attendance. I find it appauling that the rich teams are having to support the poor teams because their fan base is incredibly weak. Either you're losing money due to economic circumstances that prohibit you from turning a reasonable profit and you legitimately do need assistance, or you're losing money because your fans aren't showing up to the games. The former should receive assistance, the ladder shouldn't.

5. Jeffrey93

Jeffrey93 Registered User

This seems anti-productive to me. It is rewarding teams for selling off players...which signals 'giving up' to the fans...which then reduces revenue (at least makes it likely). To me, it kind of gives a short-term fix to get additional monies through revenue sharing that will likely hurt the club's ability to generate more revenue in the longer term (ticking off fans).

Haven't studied this for any great length of time or anything...but that was my initial thought.

6. Dado

Dado Guest

Not sure I'm following, kdb. Is the bottom line of your analysis that teams CAN increase revenue sharing by shedding salary?

(Obviously they still need to be above cap floor etc (at least I think they do))

7. Lateralous

Lateralous Registered User

Architect
    Home Page:
    I think you guys are reading too much into this. IMO, Tallon has fully committed to building through the draft and since they've played pretty well this season given the roster on paper, this is his way of making sure they tank at the end to get the highest pick possible. This team is in desperate need of another top 3 pick and the PR that goes with it.

8. Dado

Dado Guest

It's also a team that's haemorrhaging money. At a minimum, it should't be dismissed out of hand as a possibility.

9. Jeffrey93

Jeffrey93 Registered User

They shouldn't be rewarded financially for taking that approach.

10. And in my opinion, Tallon has fully committed to golfing at some pretty nice country clubs in February. He just runs the Florida Panthers when he has some downtime.

11. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I might be off-base here, but with only 6 weeks left in the year aren't we talking about a very small amount of salary? Not the cap hits, but the actual dollars owed to these players (and also bearing in mind that they took on some salary as well).

12. jessebelanger

jessebelanger Registered User

Very rough but I believe the team saved itself about ~3.1 million in Salary. So, a somewhat significant amount.

edit: Subtract from that 3.1 the cost of calling guys up from the AHL that are on 2 way contracts to fill spots (probably a few hundred thousand)

13. seanlinden

seanlinden Registered User

With all due respect... this is one of the more ubsurd reasonings I've read on these boards.

Florida could problably fill the house for Panther games, they'd just have to make tickets usburdly cheap. A weak fan base is an economic circumstance in that specific city -- also known as weaker demand.

14. Dado

Dado Guest

Not sure that's a supportable statement. There is zero incremental cost to watching the games on TV, and they draw even less TV viewership than in-game viewership.

Seems to me the tickets could go all the way to zero and they could conceivably STILL fail to fill the building.

15. tarheelhockey

Because price is not the issue, entertainment value is the issue. Both factor into the appeal of the ticket.

Similarly, you could reduce the price of tickets to "Hall Pass" down to zero and still fail to fill the theater. That doesn't mean anything about the viability of movie theaters in that area, it simply means that the theater better start showing something OTHER than "Hall Pass" if it wants to survive very long.

16. seanlinden

You're telling me that they couldn't find 20,000 people to purchase season tickets if the cost to purchase said tickets was $200 for the season?

17. Dado

Dado Guest

I didn't say anything about selling tickets, I was referring to playing in a full building.

And yeah - I believe it is very possible tickets could go to free and the building wouldn't fill.

18. tarheelhockey

There's good reason to believe that they would move fewer tickets if they were free than if they charged $200 for them.

Any way you look at it, this is all pointless speculation.

19. seanlinden

And I didn't say anything about playing infront of warm bodies. When I say "fill the house", I refer to attendance, which is measured by tickets sold, not warm bodies.

20. Dado

Dado Guest

You're welcome to any definition you like. It was my comment, so I'll be using mine.

Cheers.

21. kmad

kmad riot survivor

Aw come on seanlinden! Let him play analyst! He ain't hurtin nobody!

22. y2kcanucks

Management
    Then why does that team have a city? Why should the rest of the league support a team in a city that doesn't support that team itself? Otherwise, why wouldn't the league just plop up teams in small rural areas that have beautiful scenery? Sure it won't be supported by the locals, but the rest of the league can support it and the players who play there can enjoy living in a beautiful town.

Coming up next, the New York Rangers play on the road against the Martha's Vineyard Winers.

23. tarheelhockey

You're right, that city really should be relocated to a team that appreciates it.

24. y2kcanucks

Management
    :facepalm:

That's what happens when I'm trying to multitask work with HFboards.

25. But that is what the NHL does with the Panthers.