Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign defenseman Uvis Balinskis to 1-year ELC (23-24)

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Latvia lacks high-end defensemen currently, and Balinskis is the best we have to offer. Good skater and puck mover, almost elite by our standards. Crucial on the PP in the NT. I'm not sure how this will help him crack the bottom pairings in Florida though.
Historically, however, Panthers were kind to Latvian defensemen. Both Sandis Ozolins and Karlis Skrastins spent 1.5 relatively successful seasons with you guys. While non of the forwards, including the most recent one in Rudolfs Balcers, made an impact. So if you try to crack the Panthers roster as a Latvian, you better be a defenceman.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Latvia lacks high-end defensemen currently, and Balinskis is the best we have to offer. Good skater and puck mover, almost elite by our standards. Crucial on the PP in the NT. I'm not sure how this will help him crack the bottom pairings in Florida though.
Historically, however, Panthers were kind to Latvian defensemen. Both Sandis Ozolins and Karlis Skrastins spent 1.5 relatively successful seasons with you guys. While non of the forwards, including the most recent one in Rudolfs Balcers, made an impact. So if you try to crack the Panthers roster as a Latvian, you better be a defenceman.
Panthers have a prospect, Sarnia Sting Sandis Vilmanis, who is making some noise this year. He is a big lanky Latvian forward.

Reactions: harv33173 and Vikz

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
This.

I think it is Paul’s fault actually, or Lefebvre’s…

But if our coaching-staff can’t make Carlsson work next year, and this guy thrives outside of our organisation, it will be a shame.

That was another gem from Zito !

Read that Carlsson had a baby right before the season started. Was planning on staying in Florida before being sent down so it meant he couldn't spend time with his wife and newborn.

So maybe after getting resettled in Charlotte he didn't want to get relocated again. Plus he's having a great season in AHL. Of course being with the big club would mean more money and exposure so most don't say no to that, but who knows.

Or maybe it shows the org. really dislikes him sending him down right when the baby came, but I'm guessing that's not the case. More about wanting Mahura and Staal, plus the cap and Carlsson getting more time to develop in minors.

We'll know next year. He should definitely be given a fair shot to be with the Panthers.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I remember Skrastins (RIP). Nothing flashy from him but if memory serves me correctly, he did all the little things right and was a responsible defenseman. If we can get that from Balinskis I’d be happy.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I remember Skrastins (RIP). Nothing flashy from him but if memory serves me correctly, he did all the little things right and was a responsible defenseman. If we can get that from Balinskis I’d be happy.
What a sad day it was when young men like him and Pavol Demitra died in the planecrash. Always a fan of both of them. Skrastins was the prototype for a true hockey player to me.

Too bad that this small country does not get more attention, the Latvians are absolutely crazy about hockey.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Read that Carlsson had a baby right before the season started. Was planning on staying in Florida before being sent down so it meant he couldn't spend time with his wife and newborn.

So maybe after getting resettled in Charlotte he didn't want to get relocated again. Plus he's having a great season in AHL. Of course being with the big club would mean more money and exposure so most don't say no to that, but who knows.

Or maybe it shows the org. really dislikes him sending him down right when the baby came, but I'm guessing that's not the case. More about wanting Mahura and Staal, plus the cap and Carlsson getting more time to develop in minors.

We'll know next year. He should definitely be given a fair shot to be with the Panthers.
It sucks for Carlsson because I’d love to see him on the bottom pairing LD but we already have Mahura. I don’t want him on his off side, and while he should be the first replacement, having him no get any playing time as the 7th guy doesn’t do him too much good either. Unless they give that spot to Carlsson and make Mahura the 7th but that seems incredibly unlikely. As long as Carlsson is willing to sign, having him readily available in the AHL is never a bad thing

Reactions: harv33173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad