NFL: Panthers sack Frank Reich

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Young is having a really bad year, oline is trash, can’t read the defense, not getting much help from his receiving core.

Add to the fact that Stroud is on his way to win ROTY and be in the MVP talk is pretty much damning to the management team in Carolina.

I won’t cast judgment on Young this year but next should be somewhat of an improvement.
When you are a non playoff team that trades up to get a QB, unless you just had a rash of injuries, ala SF, you're not going to have a solid OL or weapons for the QB. Just the reality of the situation.
Bears gave up their following year's first which the NYG used on an OL (they picked Neal, but Cross was on the board as well). That would have been a big help to Fields, but that's the price of moving up to grab a QB.

As for Reich, I think most HC should take a year off after they get let go. No reason to jump right back into a job. Take the time off to reset and analyze what went right and what went wrong.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
When you are a non playoff team that trades up to get a QB, unless you just had a rash of injuries, ala SF, you're not going to have a solid OL or weapons for the QB. Just the reality of the situation.
Bears gave up their following year's first which the NYG used on an OL (they picked Neal, but Cross was on the board as well). That would have been a big help to Fields, but that's the price of moving up to grab a QB.

As for Reich, I think most HC should take a year off after they get let go. No reason to jump right back into a job. Take the time off to reset and analyze what went right and what went wrong.

I don't think it will take him a year to figure out what went right

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Out of curiosity how many Panthers games have you watched? They’ve scored 5 TDs in 5 games.

Some are coming out and saying it was because they were worried Reich was ruining Bryce and that makes a lot of sense.

I assume Fitts will be done in the offseason. Both more than deserved to be fired.

No they passed over Evero, or Evero was like hell no. Same with Thomas Brown. I assume no with real HC potential wanted to touch this mess.
i watch them every week on redzone. young has been terrible, but he really never had a chance behind that line and that isn't reich's fault. maybe he'll improve under another HC, but nothing will change for him unless they improve their o-line and give him some weapons to throw to

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
i watch them every week on redzone. young has been terrible, but he really never had a chance behind that line and that isn't reich's fault. maybe he'll improve under another HC, but nothing will change for him unless they improve their o-line and give him some weapons to throw to
Quit calling the Oline an oline they are silky smooth light touch turnstiles

• Haha
Reactions: Terry Yake

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I watch them every week from beginning to end because I’m a masochist. Yes it’s a talent issue but Reich had a lot to do with it as well.

It’s obvious the entire offense outside of Bryce was constructed to play a different game. The oline was meant to run down hill, not drop back into pass protection every down.

In summary…there is a lot wrong so it’s hard to say exactly.

Reactions: Tryamw

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Reich was put in no win situation if the stuff about Young/Stroud is true

No one worth a damn will want that job unless they get a big $ deal and full control which I am sure Panthers owner will not be willing to give.
Yeah but he’s always said he wanted Bryce. Maybe he was just saying the right thing but he’s been pretty steadfast in denying that rumor.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah but he’s always said he wanted Bryce. Maybe he was just saying the right thing but he’s been pretty steadfast in denying that rumor.
Young was his QB. Can’t be saying that you wanted Stroud. Stroud was always the safer pick due to his size. Could see him at worst in tier 2 in the 9-16 range of QBs.

Maybe something comes out later that Reich wanted CJ. But for now, no reason to say that. Ensure the rest of the HC salary gets paid out.

Reactions: eXile3

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They have to build the offense around Young for next year. I just had a feeling Reich was just there to coach the team and do whatever the f***.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They have to build the offense around Young for next year. I just had a feeling Reich was just there to coach the team and do whatever the f***.
I'm sure that there are Offensive minded candidates that probably don't think they can work with Young given what they like to do with their offense.

But, I think they have to hire an offensive minded one no matter what. Have to try to make Young work. Have 2 years to figure it out.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If you're one of these coordinators who has been passed over a few times, it's probably worth taking just for the money because there's always the fall back to a coordinator job. But the job will suck because you know your idiot owner will make the job hell.
Wonder if it will be an old Commies coach taking the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad