NFL: Panthers sack Frank Reich

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not that Reich was setting the world on fire, but cutting a guy loose less than a year into rebuilding a bad team doesn't set the best example and doesn't paint it as a great situation for potential new coaches

I mean f*** I'll do it. Already live here. Let's see how much I can swindle out of Tepper before he tells me to "go away". :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not saying this is a wrong move, but the Panthers have shown that their head coaching gig has zero job security with two rapid firings back to back, they don't have a first rounder this year, and they probably are going to sunk cost fallacy stick with Young.

I known that there are only 32 head coaching gigs in the NFL, but if you're in demand as a recent ex-coach or coordinator on the rise, why on earth would you hedge your bet with this team and ownership?

.... watch 'em hire McDaniels.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
So depressing being a Panthers fan right now.

It would be nice if Bryce showed something but it’s hard when you’re getting sacked before you can even set your feet on the drop back.

Reactions: Tryamw and SnS

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why wasn't Fitterer* fired? He's the one who picked Young over Stroud (Reich probably had some input but Fitterer* I presume made the final call) and also made the trade to move up to #1.

Sometimes it makes sense but never understood why rebuilding teams fire coaches after a year or not even that long. Carolina isn't a very good team top to bottom, how much better did they think they were going to be?

Tepper just loves paying guys not to work for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not saying this is a wrong move, but the Panthers have shown that their head coaching gig has zero job security with two rapid firings back to back, they don't have a first rounder this year, and they probably are going to sunk cost fallacy stick with Young.

I known that there are only 32 head coaching gigs in the NFL, but if you're in demand as a recent ex-coach or coordinator on the rise, why on earth would you hedge your bet with this team and ownership?

Not an attractive job at the moment. No first in 2024. No second in 2025. Small QB so Young won’t be every HC candidates cup of tea. Have an overbearing owner who is calling the shots above the HC and GM on player personnel moves.

Good luck getting a high end guy there.

Why wasn't Mayhew fired? He's the one who picked Young over Stroud (Reich probably had some input but Mayhew I presume amide the final call) and also made the trade to move up to #1.

Sometimes it makes sense but never understood why rebuilding teams fire coaches after a year or not even that long. Carolina isn't a very good team top to bottom, how much better did they think they were going to be?

Sounds like Tepper gave the orders to get Young. Mathew is just the guy who executed the orders.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
No one with credibility is taking this job without a record-setting paycheck.

It's a terrible job for a terrible team with a terrible owner and a terrible outlook.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why wasn't Mayhew fired? He's the one who picked Young over Stroud (Reich probably had some input but Mayhew I presume amide the final call) and also made the trade to move up to #1.

Mayhew is Washington’s GM. Fitterer is Carolina’s

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i guess someone had to be the scapegoat, but firing him before the season ends is interesting. wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that reich didn't want young

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Young is having a really bad year, oline is trash, can’t read the defense, not getting much help from his receiving core.

Add to the fact that Stroud is on his way to win ROTY and be in the MVP talk is pretty much damning to the management team in Carolina.

I won’t cast judgment on Young this year but next should be somewhat of an improvement.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yea, you gotta be a special kind of masochist to want to take this job.

Even if you deeply believe in Young the team has very little talent around him, doesn't even have a first round pick to bring in an elite player, and you know the owner is a toolbox who has a penchant for pulling the trigger early.

If you're a random retread near the end of his career, sure whatever go for it and get a nice buyout in a year or two, but if you have any sort of upwards trajectory it makes zero sense to take this offer.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yea, you gotta be a special kind of masochist to want to take this job.
If you're one of these coordinators who has been passed over a few times, it's probably worth taking just for the money because there's always the fall back to a coordinator job. But the job will suck because you know your idiot owner will make the job hell.

Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
They passed over Assistant HC/RB Coach Duce Staley for the interim spot and went with the ST Coordinator Chris Tabor instead, I guess Duce will probably soon be cut loose and back on the open market in the offseason

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
i guess someone had to be the scapegoat, but firing him before the season ends is interesting. wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that reich didn't want young
Out of curiosity how many Panthers games have you watched? They’ve scored 5 TDs in 5 games.

Some are coming out and saying it was because they were worried Reich was ruining Bryce and that makes a lot of sense.

I assume Fitts will be done in the offseason. Both more than deserved to be fired.

They passed over Assistant HC/RB Coach Duce Staley for the interim spot and went with the ST Coordinator Chris Tabor instead, I guess Duce will probably soon be cut loose and back on the open market in the offseason
No they passed over Evero, or Evero was like hell no. Same with Thomas Brown. I assume no with real HC potential wanted to touch this mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad