Panthers Report: A Second Line Brewing?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think Kovalev has enough left in the tank for this intense schedule. I hope he proves us wrong because we're going to need secondary scoring from somewhere.

NJ_CATS_FAN

We Dont Suck Anymore
Mar 21, 2006
N.J.
That line would be pretty awesome. No one knows if Kovalev even makes the team, but for him to be suggested to be on our second line makes you wonder if he is either just doing very good so far, or our depth is hurting for someone to step up and noone has.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
That line would be pretty awesome. No one knows if Kovalev even makes the team, but for him to be suggested to be on our second line makes you wonder if he is either just doing very good so far, or our depth is hurting for someone to step up and noone has.

Fwiw gr is confident kovalov will make team.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I feel like a 10 yr old at a ******* Bieber concert!

SATURDAY YET?!?!?! GIMME MY NEW 27 IN RED BABY!!!!!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Love that everyone has put kovalev into the lineup in pen except Dineen. It's like he is doing everything he can to not acknowledge the worst kept secret from camp

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think this is the second line scoring we could of used last year. Its a brand new line full of brand new players, kind of refreshing for the team.

For those worried about Kovolevs ability to go for a full season, i see where your coming from. He is an older player, and might run out of gas at some point in the season, due to a compact schedule and not having played in the NHL in a while. But I think he has some scoring to show us to start off the year. The two young guys in Mueller and Hubs can maybe bring out the youthfullness we re hoping for.

And don't forget, 'In Tallon we trust'. If he does start to run low on gas, I'm sure Tallon will be one step ahead and already have a Plan B in the oven.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
Don't see what all the excitement is about: a 40 year old, a rookie and a big ? as the 2nd line doesn't sound all that great too me.

I'm not saying we have anything better, and I know injuries are a concern, but on paper, thats a very dicey 2nd line.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Yeah but the nice thing is that there's always ways to shuffle it around.

But from the way it sounds at practice, both question marks are looking really good.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If this were the Kovalev of 5 years ago, it would be something to be excited about. He'll be lucky to score 25 pts.

I think that line will be broken up once Goc gets his legs back. Mueller isn't going to do well at center.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Don't see what all the excitement is about: a 40 year old, a rookie and a big ? as the 2nd line doesn't sound all that great too me.

I'm not saying we have anything better, and I know injuries are a concern, but on paper, thats a very dicey 2nd line.

Thankfully, hockey isn't played on paper. Everyone is hopeful because the reports from camp have been good. Both fans attending the practices and GR (who I haven't found to be prone to homer-ism) have had good things to say about Mueller and Kovalev.

CoolburnIsGone

If this were the Kovalev of 5 years ago, it would be something to be excited about. He'll be lucky to score 25 pts.

I think that line will be broken up once Goc gets his legs back. Mueller isn't going to do well at center.
Yeah i think once Goc is back in the lineup, the lines will be changing. Goc is a natural center and he'll slot in perfectly between Huby & Mueller. We all know that eventually Kovalev is gonna need nights off (just like Jovo) so I dont expect him to be in the lineup every game anyway. If he provides some veteran leadership & a little scoring ala Samuelsson did last season, that works enough for me. Plus we all know that guys like Upshall & Bergy are not consistently able to stay in the lineup so we can always rotate those guys with Kovalev on the other line.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
It will be weird to have kovalev on this team but assuming this is a cheap 1 year contract, why not, we need all the offense we can get. But it's true, the lines aren't complete due to injuries to Goc and Bergenheim. How quickly we forget how wonderfully Bergy-Goc-Samuelsson did as our second line. Still, I think we have enough depth to surprise a lot of people...again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad