Panthers player season reviews (Regular season + playoffs)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@CHGoalie27 made these a few years back, just keeping some Panthers tradition(s) afloat.

Feel free to comment on all players or just a few, post a regular season grade and then one for the playoffs.

Preferably post from a scale 1-10 and use decimal points if need be to be as accurate as possible.

Regular season player stats:

Screenshot_20230618_110559_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230618_110609_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230618_110622_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230618_110633_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230618_110643_Samsung Internet.jpg

Playoff player stats:

Screenshot_20230618_110818_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230618_110833_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230618_110844_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230618_110853_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'd hate to shut this shit down in one shot, but I don't think I'll let you arrest anyone today Beehan.

Everyone gets a f***in A

Reactions: austropanther

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’ll do the big boys.
Tkachuk: A+ no explanation needed
Barkov: B clearly took a step forward but still need more.
Montour: B+ Huge early on. Cooled down at the end.
Bob: A. Just incredible. No A+ Becuase Vegas shit on him.
Ekblad: B-. Need more from him but he was solid.
Forsling: B+ just solid all around.
Reinhart B- good series and invisible series.
Bennett: A- Just love his game. Some dumb penalties though.
Staal: F(uck) off.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I'd hate to shut this shit down in one shot, but I don't think I'll let you arrest anyone today Beehan.

Everyone gets a f***in A
Yeah, exactly. I just looked at the standings again at the end of the regular season. In the POs we played against 4 of the 5 best teams of the regular season, and beat 3 of them. Plus making it through regular season with big injuries plus new coach an system. This season was bigger and better than ever - even with the sting of a lost SC final! The experience the guys got is so vluable.

All deserve an A - except Reinhart (if he had just converted half of his chances instead of ripping them of posts, we would not have needed to worry until the last day of the refular season to clinch the POs. So A- for him).

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I give everyone an A tbh they just ran out of steam in the Finals with the injuries. Barkov was SO good defensively, seriously how he shut down Toronto and Carolina was amazing, but the not shooting thing is who he is at this point. Best example I can give:

In game 1 or 2 vs Toronto he took a wrister from just inside the blue line and it kinda dove down and beat Samsonov (not a great goal). The next game, he had the opportunity to take the same shot from the same area against the same goalie and instead dropped it to Marc Staal. Barkov not shooting is the new Kulikov shot hitting spectators, it's just life. 10 seasons in, he's not going to change.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Tkachuk: A+ Regular season / A+ Postseason.
Not much needs to be said.
Barkov: A/A
Illness hampered him early on in the postseason. Defensively was excellent. Offensively did a bunch of non stat observable plays to keep possession alive/notched some clutch assists. Just wish in general he would shoot more. His shot isn't like Huberdeau's. He can get velocity/accuracy on it. No complaints really
Montour: A/A
Blew up offensively and was paired with Marc Staal, who I'm sure helped from a vet "leadership" role but not a skating partner role. Clutch goals.
Bob: C+/A+
Regular season started off poorly and got better as the year went on post ~ December. Became Vezinabob in the Eastern playoff run. Not going to peg the Finals on him.
Ekblad: B/B
Factoring injuries into his play in the postseason. No complaints.
Forsling: B+/B+
Reliable, stepped up.
Reinhart: B/B+
Once allergic to empty net goals in the regular season, stepped up big in the Eastern playoffs run. Great chemistry with L&L.
Verhaeghe: A/A
40 goal regular season and followed up with another clutch postseason scoring run.
Bennett: B/B
His ability to have that fine line of physicality was big in the postseason. Some dumb penalties, but honestly, expected when he plays hard.
Duke: NA/B
Did a good job with chances in the postseason and seemed to gain confidence as the run went on.
Lomberg: B/B
Spark plug. Better on the 4th than the 3rd, but has grown to be a regular in the lineup and had some key moments that weren't reflected on the stats. Recall some good stick work/positioning to take away prime scoring chances.
Cousins: B/A-
Honestly don't remember much in the regular season. Postseason he was a great 3rd piece to the 2nd line causing chaos for the Bruins and the Leafs. Didn't look out of place.
Lundell: C/A
Regular season you could tell he was in the slump but turned it on in the postseason.
Loustarinen: B+/A
Man, the impact to the bottom 6 was evident when he was out vs Vegas. Really has grown into that dependable two way forward that is becoming a tweener between the 2nd and 3rd lines.
Eric Staal: C/C
Was terrible to start, but once he got over that hump I thought he was solid for a 4th line center. Really thought that SH goal to start the Finals could of been a catalyst...
Gudas: B/A-
His physical play was definitely a factor in the playoffs. Too bad he also broke down by the Finals.
Mahura: B/B?
Honestly, don't remember much from him which I guess is a good thing.
Marc Staal: D+/D+
If he was younger, I think he would of been a very good defenseman here. I think he still reads the play well, and I don't think it's coincidence Montour did well paired with him, but physically he's lost like 5 steps. Just not an every game defenseman any more. Similar to his brother, they should of been the Joe Thornton type of players that played a handful of games on/off and not been counted on to play a full season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tkachuk: A+ Regular season / A+ Postseason.
Not much needs to be said.
Barkov: A/A
Illness hampered him early on in the postseason. Defensively was excellent. Offensively did a bunch of non stat observable plays to keep possession alive/notched some clutch assists. Just wish in general he would shoot more. His shot isn't like Huberdeau's. He can get velocity/accuracy on it. No complaints really
Montour: A/A
Blew up offensively and was paired with Marc Staal, who I'm sure helped from a vet "leadership" role but not a skating partner role. Clutch goals.
Bob: C+/A+
Regular season started off poorly and got better as the year went on post ~ December. Became Vezinabob in the Eastern playoff run. Not going to peg the Finals on him.
Ekblad: B/B
Factoring injuries into his play in the postseason. No complaints.
Forsling: B+/B+
Reliable, stepped up.
Reinhart: B/B+
Once allergic to empty net goals in the regular season, stepped up big in the Eastern playoffs run. Great chemistry with L&L.
Verhaeghe: A/A
40 goal regular season and followed up with another clutch postseason scoring run.
Bennett: B/B
His ability to have that fine line of physicality was big in the postseason. Some dumb penalties, but honestly, expected when he plays hard.
Duke: NA/B
Did a good job with chances in the postseason and seemed to gain confidence as the run went on.
Lomberg: B/B
Spark plug. Better on the 4th than the 3rd, but has grown to be a regular in the lineup and had some key moments that weren't reflected on the stats. Recall some good stick work/positioning to take away prime scoring chances.
Cousins: B/A-
Honestly don't remember much in the regular season. Postseason he was a great 3rd piece to the 2nd line causing chaos for the Bruins and the Leafs. Didn't look out of place.
Lundell: C/A
Regular season you could tell he was in the slump but turned it on in the postseason.
Loustarinen: B+/A
Man, the impact to the bottom 6 was evident when he was out vs Vegas. Really has grown into that dependable two way forward that is becoming a tweener between the 2nd and 3rd lines.
Eric Staal: C/C
Was terrible to start, but once he got over that hump I thought he was solid for a 4th line center. Really thought that SH goal to start the Finals could of been a catalyst...
Gudas: B/A-
His physical play was definitely a factor in the playoffs. Too bad he also broke down by the Finals.
Mahura: B/B?
Honestly, don't remember much from him which I guess is a good thing.
Marc Staal: D+/D+
If he was younger, I think he would of been a very good defenseman here. I think he still reads the play well, and I don't think it's coincidence Montour did well paired with him, but physically he's lost like 5 steps. Just not an every game defenseman any more. Similar to his brother, they should of been the Joe Thornton type of players that played a handful of games on/off and not been counted on to play a full season.

This one here is going places, very well done amigo.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Everyone gets an A, but also there are three levels to that. Let the shitters stay shitters even if they are A+ shitters.

The Good Layer

Nice Layer

Shitters Layer

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
CHgoalie27 f***ed it up with his first response. We are mere lemmings that follow the alpha male/female/LGBTIQ+ male down the cliff...

Can I call you Khaleesi from now on?
holy shit dude 😂

@scholl it says *preferably*, it's always been on a letter basis lol

and i stand by my first response. At this point, every player's pros and cons led us to where we got and the pros far outweigh the cons. Even with Marc Staal. What he did in the playoffs excuses anything and everything in the reg. He largely kept most of the opposing hefty elements off Bob, so while Bob was Smythe, all of our defensemen and defensive forwards mostly allowed for it.

While it's customary to nitpick, if for no other reason than to just have content, I'm firmly against any and all nitpicking on this whole crew given all things we know in retrospect. They sure earned it.

Reactions: pantherbot

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
holy shit dude 😂

@scholl it says *preferably*, it's always been on a letter basis lol

and i stand by my first response. At this point, every player's pros and cons led us to where we got and the pros far outweigh the cons. Even with Marc Staal. What he did in the playoffs excuses anything and everything in the reg. He largely kept most of the opposing hefty elements off Bob, so while Bob was Smythe, all of our defensemen and defensive forwards mostly allowed for it.

While it's customary to nitpick, if for no other reason than to just have content, I'm firmly against any and all nitpicking on this whole crew given all things we know in retrospect. They sure earned it.

Maurice said staal was the primary reason behind montour's breakout season. does coach know what he's talking about?

I saw him make some mistakes like everyone else but I also saw him make some very good plays, 38 or not.

I kinda agree with your premise here CH - this team rolled into the final playing some of the best hockey we've seen here and everyone played a role, including, yes, the staals.

they are certainly filling spots that could be upgraded if money was no option but, still, I would not be surprised to see either back. and I'll savor the irony of fans' howling mere months after these guys helped the team to the final during what is now the franchise's best year.

Reactions: harv33173

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Maurice said staal was the primary reason behind montour's breakout season. does coach know what he's talking about?

I saw him make some mistakes like everyone else but I also saw him make some very good plays, 38 or not.

I kinda agree with your premise here CH - this team rolled into the final playing some of the best hockey we've seen here and everyone played a role, including, yes, the staals.

they are certainly filling spots that could be upgraded if money was no option but, still, I would not be surprised to see either back. and I'll savor the irony of fans' howling mere months after these guys helped the team to the final during what is now the franchise's best year.
Coach knows what he's talking about!
I'm at the point where any and all players that played thru the 3 rounds are more than welcome back. And if every last guy comes back with rematch in mind, I'd be 100% behind it.

Not sure where health, LTIRs, cap space, etc. will come into play, but that's where In Zito I Trust kicks in. He may not get who we want, but he always ends up getting the guys we want before we knew we wanted them. Sticks that binky in our mouth, just shut up and enjoy kids, what a f***ing boss our GM is. Hot damn.

We can all throw players we want out there, but all we can do is wait. And if they're not big and nasty, I don't even wanna hear about it after what we just went thru!

Erik Karlsson is a fat nope for me. The only way to convince me it could make sense is if Zito actually gets him, and then I can assume it'll explain itself in due time as has everything else!

side note, these pop up ads smell like Walmart. it took me forever to be able to type that.

Reactions: zeroG and harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Coach knows what he's talking about!
I'm at the point where any and all players that played thru the 3 rounds are more than welcome back. And if every last guy comes back with rematch in mind, I'd be 100% behind it.

Not sure where health, LTIRs, cap space, etc. will come into play, but that's where In Zito I Trust kicks in. He may not get who we want, but he always ends up getting the guys we want before we knew we wanted them. Sticks that binky in our mouth, just shut up and enjoy kids, what a f***ing boss our GM is. Hot damn.

We can all throw players we want out there, but all we can do is wait. And if they're not big and nasty, I don't even wanna hear about it after what we just went thru!

Erik Karlsson is a fat nope for me. The only way to convince me it could make sense is if Zito actually gets him, and then I can assume it'll explain itself in due time as has everything else!

side note, these pop up ads smell like Walmart. it took me forever to be able to type that.
If you pay to be a sponsor (it’s really not that much, $12/year? Something like that) then the ads go away. It’s worth it to me especially on my phone.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If you pay to be a sponsor (it’s really not that much, $12/year? Something like that) then the ads go away. It’s worth it to me especially on my phone.
I'll check into it, certainly woulda paid off a couple weeks ago in another forum I basically rage quit over it. Typed out a whole damn thing then ad comes in, freezes my shit, and I lose all of it.

The injury post was a battle that I had to select all and copy about 60 times so I didn't lose progress.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-234318.png
    Screenshot_20230620-234318.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad