WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
To Florida -

LHD Brendan Guhle - 23 yo, signed for two years at 800k, waiver eligible

To Anaheim -

C Henrik Borgstrom - 23 yo, RFA, waiver eligible

A change of scenery/fresh start for two younger players who can no longer be sent down without passing waivers.

Anaheim doesn't have the quality depth on the back end from previous years, but they do have too many waiver eligible blueliners (nine) to keep on the roster at full health. Guhle is part of log jam of bottom pairing options along with Djoos, Larsson, Curran and Hakanpaa - with a couple waiver exempt prospects also in the mix. Without knowing too much about the Panthers D depth, it appears as though there might be a need for an affordable young guy and more of an opportunity there for Guhle. He has the physical tools but will need to show with experience that he can provide consistent steady minutes.

Borgstrom seems like a good chance for the Ducks to buy low on a skilled young forward with size, who was a very highly touted prospect not so long ago. They would be quite familiar with him from his two seasons as teammates with Troy Terry, perhaps still has his fans in the organization. They do have quite a few young forwards vying for time but there's more flexibility and opportunity within the forward core IMO. Not sure if Florida would be ready to cut ties or prefer to let him try to bounce back.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
To Florida -

LHD Brendan Guhle - 23 yo, signed for two years at 800k, waiver eligible

To Anaheim -

C Henrik Borgstrom - 23 yo, RFA, waiver eligible

A change of scenery/fresh start for two younger players who can no longer be sent down without passing waivers.

Anaheim doesn't have the quality depth on the back end from previous years, but they do have too many waiver eligible blueliners (nine) to keep on the roster at full health. Guhle is part of log jam of bottom pairing options along with Djoos, Larsson, Curran and Hakanpaa - with a couple waiver exempt prospects also in the mix. Without knowing too much about the Panthers D depth, it appears as though there might be a need for an affordable young guy and more of an opportunity there for Guhle. He has the physical tools but will need to show with experience that he can provide consistent steady minutes.

Borgstrom seems like a good chance for the Ducks to buy low on a skilled young forward with size, who was a very highly touted prospect not so long ago. They would be quite familiar with him from his two seasons as teammates with Troy Terry, perhaps still has his fans in the organization. They do have quite a few young forwards vying for time but there's more flexibility and opportunity within the forward core IMO. Not sure if Florida would be ready to cut ties or prefer to let him try to bounce back.
What is Gulhe's projection? His style of play? I think Borg is coming back, but if Gulhe is a reliable defense defenseman better than Brown, I'd consider it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What is Gulhe's projection? His style of play? I think Borg is coming back, but if Gulhe is a reliable defense defenseman better than Brown, I'd consider it.

Reliability is the sticking point for Guhle. He has good size and skating ability, and some offensive tools. To this point I think he's been too mistake prone, but it still remains to be seen whether he lacks IQ or just experience.

Ceiling would be a second pairing type who can contribute in all facets if it all comes together. Likeliest outcome is a bottom pairing guy with enough tools to carve out a career but not really flourish.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Reliability is the sticking point for Guhle. He has good size and skating ability, and some offensive tools. To this point I think he's been too mistake prone, but it still remains to be seen whether he lacks IQ or just experience.

Ceiling would be a second pairing type who can contribute in all facets if it all comes together. Likeliest outcome is a bottom pairing guy with enough tools to carve out a career but not really flourish.

Sooo Mike Matheson from 5 years ago? :laugh:
Can he play RD (off-side) at all?

I'd be open to it if he was a RD but kind of want to see if Borg can improve after he was told to work on his defense/2way game in AHL. Not ready to totally give up on him for a position (LD) that we have good depth with right now.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sooo Mike Matheson from 5 years ago? :laugh:
Can he play RD (off-side) at all?

I'd be open to it if he was a RD but kind of want to see if Borg can improve after he was told to work on his defense/2way game in AHL. Not ready to totally give up on him for a position (LD) that we have good depth with right now.

Yes he can play his off side, and it will likely be a requirement to making it with the Ducks given all the LHD depth

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Interesting proposal, Borgstrom was someone I really liked us to have (and was picked 1 pick before we picked Jones in 2016). But he has not produced much in pros, so i am not so sure about that anymore.
But yeah, he and Terry were dynamite in NCAA. Borgstrom looked arguably better than Terry there

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Interesting proposal, Borgstrom was someone I really liked us to have (and was picked 1 pick before we picked Jones in 2016). But he has not produced much in pros, so i am not so sure about that anymore.
But yeah, he and Terry were dynamite in NCAA. Borgstrom looked arguably better than Terry there

Borgstrom was an absolute savage for Denver. I’m rooting for him to work it out because the natural talent is very high. Good player to take a stab on for a change of scenery.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'd rather have the devil I know that fills a position of need then the guy with the same flaws that the rest of our defensive prospects have.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep. I think Borgstrom looked great in AHL and struggled in the NHL. Q is notoriously tough on rookies.

With respect to the AHL this season, there are two confounding variables: first, apparently he was upset and pouted a lot. Second, we forced him to play a defensive role for the first time in probably his playing career :(

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad