Rumor: Panthers among teams Kovalchuk likely interested in

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
As a Devils fan, can I ask why not?

Devils need LD help, we are not going to want a player like Bjudstad. Our center depth will be fine after we draft Patrick/Hischier

Everyone else pretty much nailed it. Nevermind that in no way shape or form is a 34 year old kovalchuk worth a young defenseman with top 4 talent and the panthers wouldn't be interested in the Devils "adding" to kovy to get matheson. The panthers would be interested in adding kovy to their roster but not at the expense of talented players already in the NHL. So like I said. 0.0% chance matheson is involved in a deal for kovalchuk

Edit: lol at you wanting matheson and hawryluk

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It quite simple. We don't have many high end young defensemen in our organization. We have Ekblad and Matheson, and that's it. We have some potential 2s and 3s, but no top end ones after EK and Matheson. We certainly can't trade Matheson for a 34 year old Kovy, and most of us really don't want to.

We're in a weird situation because we have a ton of youth on defense. Demers and Yandle being the only guys around 30 years old but I agree with the bolded and think this year with more familiarity and a different defensive scheme, we will be fine.

Ideally I'd like to see a UFA defenseman signed/traded for to take some pressure off the potential bottom pairing guys like Weegar or McCoshen who could use one more year in Springfield, build more chemistry and then come up full time the year after as a bottom pairing.
I'd like both of our teams to make playoffs and start building a winning culture in Florida and Springfield. Both could still be the first options when we have injuries and we know we will have them

I'd try:

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Petro/Pysyk
UFA D-man - Demers/Pysyk/Petro

UFA left handed D-man available this upcoming year who would all be mostly 2 yr deals under a $4 million cap:

Matt Hunwick - 32yrs old---19pts in 72 games

Johnny Oduya - 36yrs old in October----9pts in 52 games *he would be a last resort for me, feel his injuries have really taken a toll on him*

Trevor Daley - 34 yrs old in October----19pts in 56 games

Ron Hainsey - 36 years old----17pts in 72 games

Fedor Tyutin - 34 yrs old in July----13pts in 69 games.

Most of these guys are able to play a shutdown role, block shots and have some playoff experience. They're not the fastest but I don't see us making a move to bring in some speed on the backend. We have to believe in Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson for the offense, Pysyk/Petrovic and this UFA defenseman for some extra grit which Tallon has alluded to acquiring. McCoshen is on his way up within the next year or two and should bring some of it as well.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Yeah, I didn't know the Panthers are in the business of helping NJD. Besides the lunacy, this has Forsberg-Erat style of a trade written all over it if those names from our side are included.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

Ray Shero said that even though Kovalchuk will pick the team he wants to play with, he will only get dealt if the deal makes sense for NJ.

We are not going to give him away for nothing. If you don't want to deal Matheson or Hawryluk then that's fine. We will move on and say there isn't a deal to be made.

No Kovy for you.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Ray Shero said that even though Kovalchuk will pick the team he wants to play with, he will only get dealt if the deal makes sense for NJ.

We are not going to give him away for nothing. If you don't want to deal Matheson or Hawryluk then that's fine. We will move on and say there isn't a deal to be made.

No Kovy for you.

Its always no, if you dont ask. We shall see.

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL

No Kovy for you.

Lol right because you're the GM?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

No Kovy for you.

You are going to be very surprised by the return for kovy when a deal finally does happen whether it's with the panthers or someone else. Kovy is not worth anywhere near what you think he is

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

No Kovy for you.

Honestly, the best deal you could probably get would be like a 3rd round pick. You guys have no leverage.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida

No Kovy for you.

Please save this post. Gold Jerry, Gold.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
kovalchuk has the same value as when a team trades for the ufa rights before someone hits the market. probably a 3rd and/or lower to middle of the road prospect. that is if he definitely isnt going back to nj. and if he isnt playing for nj, then why not take it?

i mean maybe hawryluk if i had to, but matheson you're way off on his value. he's our second most valuable d, maybe first in some views.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
You are going to be very surprised by the return for kovy when a deal finally does happen whether it's with the panthers or someone else. Kovy is not worth anywhere near what you think he is

This happens almost always. We if anyone know that.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

No Kovy for you.

We're all saying the same thing as you, but opposite. We're not going to give Matheson away for Kovalchuk. If you want Matheson for Kovy then that's fine. We will move on and say there isn't a deal to be made.

No Mathy for you.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I doubt Shero will be okay with Kovy playing for the NJ when he knowingly is aware of Kovy's desire to play somewhere else ala Tallon/Horton situation.

If Kovy wants out, then Shero has to get whatever he can for the guy and move forward.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
There's no way Shero expects marquee talent like Matheson for Kovalchuk. No way.

Of course not. Shero is a smart GM. He knows what he has and what's it's worth. Kovy isn't worth a young top 4 damn still on his elc, not even close. No team is going to pay close to that so it won't even be asked for.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
We're all saying the same thing as you, but opposite. We're not going to give Matheson away for Kovalchuk. If you want Matheson for Kovy then that's fine. We will move on and say there isn't a deal to be made.

No Mathy for you.

Mathy is good player. Mathy is ready. Mathy got some new moves. Check Mathy out.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Mathy is good player. Mathy is ready. Mathy got some new moves. Check Mathy out.

73782517.jpg

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
ray shero said that even though kovalchuk will pick the team he wants to play with, he will only get dealt if the deal makes sense for nj.

We are not going to give him away for nothing. If you don't want to deal matheson or hawryluk then that's fine. We will move on and say there isn't a deal to be made.

No kovy for you.

lmao.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
As a Devils fan, can I ask why not?

Devils need LD help, we are not going to want a player like Bjudstad. Our center depth will be fine after we draft Patrick/Hischier

I would prefer to keep him over Ekblad. He made a lot of rookie mistakes, but he has the most potential out of young defenseman to be a top pairing D.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With those rumours on Caps& Oshie having a deal close to done do you believe Florida will be more interested in Kovy?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
With those rumours on Caps& Oshie having a deal close to done do you believe Florida will be more interested in Kovy?

Considering the type of deal oshie would command in CA, odds are we aren't interested in him.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Considering the type of deal oshie would command in CA, odds are we aren't interested in him.

Really? They've already overpaid players pretty significantly, and are one of the lowest payroll teams in the league

edit: Have you heard more on Kovy or Jagr?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad