Rumor: Panthers among teams Kovalchuk likely interested in

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Considering the type of deal oshie would command in CA, odds are we aren't interested in him.

That's probably smart longterm.

But I do remember reading here that adding/boosting scoring is a priority for Tallon?

With Oshia(likely) staying in Washington do you see Kovy as a real intrest for Panthers?
It's going to be difficult to find anything good on July 1 this year, not much outside of vets past their prime.
Williams is the only one who could somehow make sense on a shot term deal, I've seen some Florida fans want to add toughness into the top9.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Slava Malamud in Twitter says Kovy has changed his mind, wants to play in Olympics (NHL most likely not going there, just granted All Stars game to Tampa):
"SKA says Kovalchuk has changed his mind because he wants to play in the Olympics. Or, perhaps, because NJ could find no takers?"

There is no comment from Kovalchuk, just the words of SKA board chairman Medvedev: "We are talking contract, he wants to stay now."

https://twitter.com/search?q=slava malamud&src=tyah

JOL

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Lots of sabre rattling going on. NJ also says they are willing to keep him. LOL, duh, really?

Nothing we did not already know. It all comes down to what Kovy wants.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
at this point i hope he goes to the olympics and stays in freaking russia. he's a nightmare and jersey got off the hook big time with the nhl rulings!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he waits until next year to come over, he will be a REAL UFA with no strings attached. He's probably just looking for reactions from around the league to gauge interest.
He will probably stay in Russia, chase Olympic gold and come over next year when he controls the situation all to himself.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If he waits until next year to come over, he will be a REAL UFA with no strings attached. He's probably just looking for reactions from around the league to gauge interest.
He will probably stay in Russia, chase Olympic gold and come over next year when he controls the situation all to himself.
35+ contract next year though, that's the main incentive for a return this year. No team is going to give him term on a 35+ contract, though it's unclear at this point that what he's looking for.

Also worth noting that he could stay in the KHL, take part in the Olympics and then come back once his KHL season is over (this would require that his KHL team releases him early, which he could negotiate as a must to re-sign), but NJD would have to expose him to waivers first and chances are that he wouldn't clear. Devils would just be doing him a favour in that case, he also can't take part in the playoffs for any team, unless SKA 1) doesn't make the playoffs or 2) gets eliminated in the 1st round (IIRC the KHL playoffs first round is right around TDL), both are very unlikely. So he could do like a mini tryout for 5-15 games on a non-playoff team.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
35+ contract next year though, that's the main incentive for a return this year. No team is going to give him term on a 35+ contract, though it's unclear at this point that what he's looking for.

Also worth noting that he could stay in the KHL, take part in the Olympics and then come back once his KHL season is over (this would require that his KHL team releases him early, which he could negotiate as a must to re-sign), but NJD would have to expose him to waivers first and chances are that he wouldn't clear. Devils would just be doing him a favour in that case, he also can't take part in the playoffs for any team, unless SKA 1) doesn't make the playoffs or 2) gets eliminated in the 1st round (IIRC the KHL playoffs first round is right around TDL), both are very unlikely. So he could do like a mini tryout for 5-15 games on a non-playoff team.

So we're probably going to be in a good position next year as well.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I agree, was part of an article I read up on. I look at 2 players related to the Kovalchuk situation, Radulov and Jagr. He knows Radulov got just under $6 million so if he can produce another 60+pt season in the KHL, the NHL GM's will be open to a bidding war even if it's a 1-2 year deal. Kovaluchuk sees the NHL guys playing into their late 30/40's like Jagr, Chara, Thornton and Marleau. Both Shark players will get $5.5 million or above on a 1-2 year deal.

Radulov came over coming off 65 and 71pt seasons in the KHL to sign in NHL for a 1 year deal @ $5.75 million.

Jagr came over coming off 42 and 50pt seasons in the KHL to sign in NHL for a 1 year deal @ $4million

Ya you're right, he could come back earlier but the KHL would be itching to keep their star players. Kovalchuk probably ponders their escrow problems and late payments of up to 6 months for some players in the KHL.
At worst he is waiting a year to take full control of his situation, signing a 1 year prove it deal at no less than $5 million. I personally don't think it's about money at this point, just realization he's getting up there in age and trying to check off a Gold medal and Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad