Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Oilers 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was actually referring to the fact that I didn't know why Caggiula was moved off of the top line. I don't think Draisaitl will stay on the top line, so I didn't even consider that part. My comment was about why McLellan went with Nuge-McDavid-Rattie instead of Nuge-McDavid-Caggiula.

Sorry for the rant. I wondered after it that's what you had meant. I see no problem with Rattie being there, he's more consistently good than Cagg has been and he had two 5 bell chances that Cagg would not have finished against Luongo imo. Rattie is getting good opportunities and in the right spots. Unfortunately, neither is an adequate answer, only a stop gap measure. But the key is Nuge can't be stoned to the degree he is while playing on topline. if he was having trouble scoring on 2nd, 3rd line no prob. But that can't be happening on first line, with mcD, with constant great feeds. I mean it took Draisaitl 15secs in 3rd period to cash one on the first 5 on 5 shift and which he's been doing all season.

Lost in the negativity Drai is on a 51 goal pace and same goal total as McD despite having considerably less good QOT on his line. Its really quite astounding how much Drai is delivering and over accomplishment really. The problem now is people will expect peak all the time.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sorry for the rant. I wondered after it that's what you had meant. I see no problem with Rattie being there, he's more consistently good than Cagg has been and he had two 5 bell chances that Cagg would not have finished against Luongo imo. Rattie is getting good opportunities and in the right spots. Unfortunately, neither is an adequate answer, only a stop gap measure. But the key is Nuge can't be stoned to the degree he is while playing on topline. if he was having trouble scoring on 2nd, 3rd line no prob. But that can't be happening on first line, with mcD, with constant great feeds. I mean it took Draisaitl 15secs in 3rd period to cash one on the first 5 on 5 shift and which he's been doing all season.

Lost in the negativity Drai is on a 51 goal pace and same goal total as McD despite having considerably less good QOT on his line. Its really quite astounding how much Drai is delivering and over accomplishment really. The problem now is people will expect peak all the time.

Drai is a big engine that takes longer to warm up then your smaller engines. When they are warmed up, they will run fine. Hopefully they can get Puju's engine tuned up and running smooth. I had Puju penciled in for a big year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drai is a big engine that takes longer to warm up then your smaller engines. When they are warmed up, they will run fine. Hopefully they can get Puju's engine tuned up and running smooth. I had Puju penciled in for a big year.

Drai the Diesel. I like it. ;)

But theres no way he can keep this pace and level of play up. Its a big player problem too, to try to play too many games at such a pace. He's actually overengaged now like on the 3rd period penalty. Its guaranteed he will hit a wall as well. This team is so bereft of players that can pick up the slack. We have players that can do that very rarely. A cagg here, a Brodz there, but nothing reliable. Good teams have a group of players that can carry when the big guns are off.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I agree that Drai is playing really well. I think that's just more reason to keep him where he is. Also agree that Nuge hasn't been at his best recently, but I think he'll be fine. My issue wasn't that Rattie isn't playing well, but that Caggiulanwas already playing well on that line so I saw no reason to change it so soon.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Sincere question, what element of Lucic's game is NHL caliber on anything more than as a 4th line player making less than a quarter of his salary?

The guy looks absolutely devoid of talent.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Drai the Diesel. I like it. ;)

But theres no way he can keep this pace and level of play up. Its a big player problem too, to try to play too many games at such a pace. He's actually overengaged now like on the 3rd period penalty. Its guaranteed he will hit a wall as well. This team is so bereft of players that can pick up the slack. We have players that can do that very rarely. A cagg here, a Brodz there, but nothing reliable. Good teams have a group of players that can carry when the big guns are off.

I noticed he has a mean streak in him as well. Detroit Diesel

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
For JP's sake I hope they don't because literally all of them will tell Todd how they didn't anticipate the play. The poor kid needs to find some chemistry somewhere.

So them not being able to anticipate the puck being dumped out of the zone led them to also not being able to play hockey at all for the rest of the shift? The poor kid is being scapegoated by fans like you because you refuse to lay any blame with your favorites.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So them not being able to anticipate the puck being dumped out of the zone led them to also not being able to play hockey at all for the rest of the shift? The poor kid is being scapegoated by fans like you because you refuse to lay any blame with your favorites.
:laugh:

Keep fighting the good fight, buddy. That rest of that shift was about seven seconds before the puck was in the back of their net.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really Pulju's fault, he's just not ready and may not be that kind of player anyway. Most of this season was the hope that Lucic would bounce back and Yamamoto + Puljujarvi would bail Chiarelli out for gutting the forward group. So far, not looking great on that end.

Asking Puljujarvi or Yamamoto to fix this isn't fair and Chiasson wasn't going to mask the problem forever either.

Reactions: nabob and Digger12

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
There is no 'wealth' to spread around. Drai should stay right where he finished the game last night. And from that perspective we should worry about fixing the other 3 lines. That we have way too many over-payed players doesn't make them 'wealth', unless their idea of wealth is different from mine. Chia--or someone--has to look at this roster honestly and at least begin to fix it properly.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
:laugh:

Keep fighting the good fight, buddy. That rest of that shift was about seven seconds before the puck was in the back of their net.

Keep blaming Puljujarvi for everyone else’s poor play on the shift. Doesn’t look like you have a bias at all.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Keep blaming Puljujarvi for everyone else’s poor play on the shift. Doesn’t look like you have a bias at all.
It doesn't. Because I've completely dissected the play for you. I've been very consistent with my opinion that Puljujarvi has struggled this season to find chemistry in this lineup. I have no axe to grind with him. What I did do though is provide you an example of why he's having consistent trouble finding chemistry. He makes dumb plays.

I can't for the life of me see how you can fault McDavid on that play. The guy is legitimately surprised when the puck hits the ice.

Reactions: Mez

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am starting to get worried for Edmonton, one more season of this and Mcdavid may want out of there, he really is not the kind of person to demand a trade but i think everyone has a limit, the guy wants a cup and he doesnt want to be wasting his best years.

Theyve gotta do something fast I just have no idea what that could possibly be aside from the obvious ones of getting a new coach and g.m but even with that done things have been set back so far that it will take any g.m and coach a good amount of time to turn things around and they dont really have much flexibility to do it.

I wish the best for you guys as I know the feeling in a lot of ways being a Montreal fan.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I am starting to get worried for Edmonton, one more season of this and Mcdavid may want out of there, he really is not the kind of person to demand a trade but i think everyone has a limit, the guy wants a cup and he doesnt want to be wasting his best years.

Theyve gotta do something fast I just have no idea what that could possibly be aside from the obvious ones of getting a new coach and g.m but even with that done things have been set back so far that it will take any g.m and coach a good amount of time to turn things around and they dont really have much flexibility to do it.

I wish the best for you guys as I know the feeling in a lot of ways being a Montreal fan.

Having McDavid and even a Draisaitl is a huge leg up. Get a better GM and coach and they have time to turn things around. McDavid is still only 21. Salary clears up quick too once a lot of Chia's garbage is flushed out.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Having McDavid and even a Draisaitl is a huge leg up. Get a better GM and coach and they have time to turn things around. McDavid is still only 21. Salary clears up quick too once a lot of Chia's garbage is flushed out.

Its a big leg up, you guys just need like 2 big breaks or something, like having yamo or pulju break out big time and fleecing someone on a player your team desperately needs in a trade.

I like the oil, have a soft spot for them, best of luck man.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
@nabob Does it really hurt you that much to see this player struggling that you're willing to take the world on to defend him even in moments where he's showing the very weaknesses that are keeping him out of the NHL?

Watch the replay. Jesse Puljujarvi is at the end of a shift in his team's zone on a long change. He has the puck in the defensive zone and flips it straight up into the air. None of his teammates could anticipate that--especially Connor McDavid, who was at the opponents blueline. Yet somehow in your mind Connor McDavid is to blame for that goal?

He had three viable options that would've resulted in nothing happening--handing the puck to #93 who was standing next to him, wrapping the puck back around the boards to reverse to #77, or use his 6'4 frame to protect the puck himself and reverse back to the D zone to regroup. What he did was the wrong play and it resulted in a goal against.

It's a shining example of the little things he's doing that are causing him to have a difficult time finding chemistry on this team. The one thing you can take out of this lousy effort by the Oilers is a perfect reason for why Jesse needs to take a step back and figure out how to be an effective NHLer. The first thing is probably learning the language a bit better so he can actually communicate with his coaches and teammates.

This year alone I've seen a handful of other Oiler players (Rieder, Caggiula, Bouchard, Nurse, Larsson) as well as players on other teams make that same aerial flip into the neutral zone/defensive zone to clear the puck and not take an icing. I don't understand why you're laying that at Pulju's feet, the play itself is not bad, it cleared the puck and allowed an opportunity for the Oilers to retrieve it in the neutral zone.

The issue was the defending afterwards. RNH coasts, is fixated on the puck carrier and doesn't identify the third man (Dadonov) who scores. McDavid meanwhile is in perfect position to back check and take Dadonov but coasts all the way back despite having plenty of time to get back and cover Dadonov.

Quite honestly I thought McDavid was making bad decisions with and without the puck all game. Lots of trying to force passes (he wasn't the only one) and cheating up ice for offense. All around just a sloppy lethargic performance. It looked like they were playing their third road game in four nights. I think moving RNH off of McDavid'a line was an overall net negative in terms of the impact it had on the team, but to be fair they weren't really on before they were split up either.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The best way to get the players that aren't providing any production might be to have Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH center their own lines and give Mcdavid the guys struggling the most. Also send down JP and Yamamoto, call up Bear. Stick with 3 left and 3 right defencemen. Lineup would end up looking like this;

Lucic-Mcdavid-Strome
Reider-Draisaitl-Chaisson
Caggiula-RNH-Rattie
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Bear

TM uses the Mcblender all the time so you know eventually we'll see RNH and Draisaitl with Mcdavid while the rest of the team struggles to tread water.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

It's too bad Paul Fenton is with the Wild now, he would've been a good hire for GM. I don't see Yzerman coming here, if he was burnt out in Tampa it'll be worse here. Also not sure about Hunter's ability to GM but given his input into the Leafs rebuild and history with London he values fast, skilled players highly which suits the direction the game has gone.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It's too bad Paul Fenton is with the Wild now, he would've been a good hire for GM. I don't see Yzerman coming here, if he was burnt out in Tampa it'll be worse here. Also not sure about Hunter's ability to GM but given his input into the Leafs rebuild and history with London he values fast, skilled players highly which suits the direction the game has gone.

He'd be my guess as the top candidate if we were to hire a new GM.

Understanding how this organization works, Chiarelli would retain his role as President and then hire a GM.

Whoever thinks Chiarelli can actually be fired from this management group hasn't been paying attention.

Reactions: RegDunlop

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This year alone I've seen a handful of other Oiler players (Rieder, Caggiula, Bouchard, Nurse, Larsson) as well as players on other teams make that same aerial flip into the neutral zone/defensive zone to clear the puck and not take an icing. I don't understand why you're laying that at Pulju's feet, the play itself is not bad, it cleared the puck and allowed an opportunity for the Oilers to retrieve it in the neutral zone.

The issue was the defending afterwards. RNH coasts, is fixated on the puck carrier and doesn't identify the third man (Dadonov) who scores. McDavid meanwhile is in perfect position to back check and take Dadonov but coasts all the way back despite having plenty of time to get back and cover Dadonov.

Quite honestly I thought McDavid was making bad decisions with and without the puck all game. Lots of trying to force passes (he wasn't the only one) and cheating up ice for offense. All around just a sloppy lethargic performance. It looked like they were playing their third road game in four nights. I think moving RNH off of McDavid'a line was an overall net negative in terms of the impact it had on the team, but to be fair they weren't really on before they were split up either.
As mentioned previously, it was the timing that was the issue. The Oilers were in the midst of a long change and there was very little zone pressure. It was a missed net shot off of a one-off rush. The Panthers had three (maybe even four) players in the NZ. We had one--McDavid--and he didn't anticipate that play. The odds of us getting that puck weren't great. In my book that's just as bad as a turnover considering how quickly their guys regrouped their attack.

I had no interest in elaborating on the play, but we've got a small contingent of people willing to go to war to defend the kid for any wrongdoing.

It was a low IQ play that resulted in a change of possession at an inopportune time. It was also a play his line mates had obvious trouble reacting to, which unfortunately resulted in the puck in our net.

Not calling him a bust. Not calling him worthless. I'm pointing out an example of the low IQ plays that drive the coaches up the wall. He's made a few of them this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad