• Panarin

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • Saad

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
One is a better pure sniper, the other is a better all around 2-way player and possession driver (and a one-man breakout machine).

Depends on what you need more.

Blackhawks for example, needed a Hossa Lite after Hossa went down waaaaaay more than they needed a Kane Lite with Kane still on the roster. Columbus needed a dynamic goalscorer.

I guess I'll give the homer vote to Saad, but it's not decisive or anything.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Panarin quite easily

In fantasy hockey 100 percent! In real hockey ill take Saad if I am an expansion team. However they are very close in my opinion and I think the trade was win win for both teams. They both addressed a need, great hockey trade.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Would be nice if you added some explanation if it's so clear to you because some of us aren't seeing it your way and would like to understand your POV.

Not that hard to explain. 77 & 74 point seasons vs 53 & 53 point seasons.

I take Panarin over Toews as well.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

80% Ozone starts with Patrick Kane attached to your hip will certainly juice point totals. Especially when you consider the discrepancy in PP time.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

What's the use in looking at the stats when you can watch them play and surmise what they'll do going forward. Saad will never play below a 60 point pace in his prime again IMO. He's not a young kid anymore, he's entering his prime. Panarin is in his prime and a great player, nobody is taking that away from him. However, Saad was blacklisted by Torts last year and still put up 50+ points. That, and watching him a little last year, told me he had progressed quite a bit since last being in Chicago. Now, he is getting the rewards for his hard work. People that just look at stats will write off his incoming 35-40 goal 70 point season as a fluke and point to his 50 point seasons as a young pup as his normal production. Panarin has a down year, it'll all be blamed on Torts.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
80% Ozone starts with Patrick Kane attached to your hip will certainly juice point totals. Especially when you consider the discrepancy in PP time.
Panarin is a terrific player, you can't give all credit to Kane. Both Saad & Panarin play wing so I don't even know why would anyone say a 53 point winger is better than a 74 point winger.

What's the use in looking at the stats when you can watch them play and surmise what they'll do going forward. Saad will never play below a 60 point pace in his prime again IMO. He's not a young kid anymore, he's entering his prime. Panarin is in his prime and a great player, nobody is taking that away from him. However, Saad was blacklisted by Torts last year and still put up 50+ points. That, and watching him a little last year, told me he had progressed quite a bit since last being in Chicago. Now, he is getting the rewards for his hard work. People that just look at stats will write off his incoming 35-40 goal 70 point season as a fluke and point to his 50 point seasons as a young pup as his normal production. Panarin has a down year, it'll all be blamed on Torts.

You do realize their age difference is only 1 year? And yeah my opinion might change if Saad proves to be better than Panarin this season. Impressive start for Saad, but the season is long.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
For the Hawks this year, Saad, by quite a bit. Plays all situations, makes Toews line so much better, and adds a speed element Panarin didn't have.

I have a gut feeling they will end up with similar point totals this year.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Panarin is a terrific player, you can't give all credit to Kane. Both Saad & Panarin play wing so I don't even know why would anyone say a 53 point winger is better than a 74 point winger.

You can give Kane a lot of the credit though. He's kind of ok at getting pucks onto shooters' tape.

As for why some might take 53 points over 74 points, its because a greater proportion of the 53 points were 5v5 and against tougher competition and with tougher zone starts, with weaker teammate quality (no Kane).

Plus, it's 2017. Wingers can contribute towards driving possession and defense as well.

If you need a pure scorer and nothing else, then yeah, you'd take Panarin. He's one of the best in the league at that one specific aspect of the game, and when he's put in position to maximize it, he's deadly. But it certainly wouldn't be 'easily' cause you're losing a LOT in terms of versatility, play driving and deployment options.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Panarin very easily. He's good got at least 15-20 more points - no matter how effective Saad's two way game is, a winger can't prevent nearly enough goals against to cover the gap in production.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Better player? Panarin.

Better fit for Chicago's needs (i.e. - partnering up with Toews and longer contract for the same cap hit)? Saad.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Let's see how Panarin scores and drives play without P.Kane but for now you'd probably have to take him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
"muh intangibles"
You're right, who wants a player that has selke like defense, a great PKer, and still puts up quite a bit of points with lesser players.

If only every player could get 80% Ozone starts against lesser competition, without ever having to worry about defensive play, while playing with the best winger in the game.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Panarin has been every bit as good defensively as Saad was for the Jackets. Don't know that defense is a fair argument to dismiss a 20ish point gap.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
In fantasy hockey 100 percent! In real hockey ill take Saad if I am an expansion team. However they are very close in my opinion and I think the trade was win win for both teams. They both addressed a need, great hockey trade.

Yep, couldn't have said it better. I had a WTF moment at first, but it really was a great deal for both sides. Hopefully it plays out that way as the season continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad