Panarin vs Lafrenière

Who will be considered the better player 20 years from now?

• Panarin

Votes: 117 60.3%
  • Lafrenière

Votes: 77 39.7%

• Total voters

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Panarin is a pretty great player and few hit those levels. The only advantage Lafreniere has is starting his career earlier in NHL but who knows if he touches his ceiling. One thing for sure pretty awesome for Lafreniere to have someone like Panarin to ease him into the NHL and teach him what it takes to become a star.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lafreniere.

I think he'll peak higher than what Panarin did last season (and I believe this might have been a career year, not sure if Panarin will repeat let alone exceed) - but I also think he'll be more consistent and have more such elite seasons.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Lafrenière has the talent, potential, and maybe even the name to be remembered two decades from now.

He almost wins the question by default because he'll have 5 seasons under his belt by the time he hits the age that Panarin began his NHL career.

Of course, if he doesn't end up having an excellent career, it wouldn't be the first time a highly touted pick didn't pan out as anticipated.

I would be disappointed if he doesn't have a better career than Panarin.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When did Hasek take over with the Sabres again? Age 27 or 28? And many still consider him the greatest goalie of all time?
How many years did Bobby Orr play (the greatest defenseman of all time)?
Did you know that Joe Nieuwendyk has about 50% more career points than Pavel Bure?

Peak prime years are often what people remember the most. And I think Panarin is going to be a 90, 100 pt guy for a while.

Lafreniere could maybe reach that level, but that's too high of an expectation for any young player. I certainly wouldn't rule him out, it wouldn't be surprising if he did it. Just don't expect that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You would think Lafreniere has better counting stats given that Panarin was much older when he joined

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Panarin is the safe money bet but anything is possible. Odds are against Laf because Pan is already where he is. If he stays healthy and has good linemates and chemistry he could be a beast but it could also go wrong. He should peak earlier.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Longevity shouldn’t play a factor when determining who was better. Should be who was the most talented, effective/impactful on the ice and successful in their time in the NHL (Orr, Hasek among others with a shorter career). Bread man already has 2 cups, a Calder and a hart runner up. Think he’ll have a few more years as a top 7 forward and with the potential of a hart.

Hard to if say Lafreniere will get there so I’m gonna go with Bread man here.

Reactions: Gains

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Longevity shouldn’t play a factor when determining who was better. Should be who was the most talented, effective/impactful on the ice and successful in their time in the NHL (Orr, Hasek among others with a shorter career). Bread man already has 2 cups, a Calder and a hart runner up. Think he’ll have a few more years as a top 7 forward and with the potential of a hart.

I agree on all of this, except there were no cups.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Panarin came in to the league at 24. He's been been great ever since. Laf enters the league at 19 or 20(?).

Not the best pair to compare.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I feel like there’s a lot of too high expectations for Laf before he even plays a game. Panarin is one of the best forwards in the nhl right now, and we’re already saying Laf will end up being better?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think people are overrating Lafreniere a bit, he will likely be a good player but will probably peak like Taylor Hall did and then come back down to earth a bit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Panarin joined the Hawks after their last championship. He has no SC rings yet.

Reactions: JLaw1719

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
If anyone knew the answer to this they'd be millionaires from the stonk market.

But to play along, Panarin.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think Panarin is the guy who peaks higher. Lafreniere needs to have a long, elite career to eclipse Panarin who is only "held back" by his relatively small sample size. I think Panarin is the safe bet here, but it's hard to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad