Panarin or Matthews for the next 2 years

Panarin v Matthews

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Matthews.

More impactful position, more goal-scoring, and better two-way play of late as well.'

The crazy thing is, at 23, Matthews probably gets even better, while at 29 years old, Panarin is pretty much a finished product.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Panarin IMO one one of the most creative and fun to watch players in the league and more productive then Matthews. Always seems to have a happy face and when he jumped tom wilson to rescue Buchnevich he cemented himself as one of my favorites.

This is Panarin and even more so considering contracts.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I have no issues with choosing Matthews here but what evidence leads you to conclude that Panarin is exiting his prime?

Most players (forwards that is) tend to regress above 30. There are of course exceptions to this, but generally a player in their mid 20s are closer to their peak than a player 30+.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Matthews.

More impactful position, more goal-scoring, and better two-way play of late as well.'

The crazy thing is, at 23, Matthews probably gets even better, while at 29 years old, Panarin is pretty much a finished product.
Experience makes players better (especially cerebral player like panarin) over time as well. Just as the body slows down, so does the game.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Panarin IMO one one of the most creative and fun to watch players in the league and more productive then Matthews. Always seems to have a happy face and when he jumped tom wilson to rescue Buchnevich he cemented himself as one of my favorites.

What? Panarin is paid a whopping $2607 more than Matthews on the cap for the next 2 seasons with a higher signing bonus. How can you say "even more so" for the next 2 seasons on something so negligible?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Matthews.

Position is negligible here. Centers are often more valuable because they do the bulk of the transition work and have more defensive responsibility. In this case Panarin is one of the best transition players in the league and does more transition work for his line than Matthews does, and gets consistently better defensive results as well. Beyond that it's frankly amazing what he has done with Ryan Strome and an assortment of lower level wingers, while Matthews has always had some of the most help (and most expensive help) in the league.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
What? Panarin is paid a whopping $2607 more than Matthews on the cap for the next 2 seasons with a higher signing bonus. How can you say "even more so" for the next 2 seasons on something so negligible?

Well not that big difference, same cap hit but Panarin is looked up for five more seasons Matthews for three, Matthews tactics was as i see it to take a short contract when he was RFA to be able to get the big bux when he is a UFA, but he got good money regardless.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I guess Moon Man is Matthews? Either way, I'll take the center Matthews or the winger Panarin in this one. I think Matthews does more then Panarin, even though both would be nice to have.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
For the Avs I'll take Matthews even though I think Panarin is the slightly better player. We need upgrade on 2C position, we would have ridiculous center combo of MacK - Matthews.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Well not that big difference, same cap hit but Panarin is looked up for five more seasons Matthews for three, Matthews tactics was as i see it to take a short contract when he was RFA to be able to get the big bux when he is a UFA, but he got good money regardless.
Yes but that has nothing to do with the next 2 seasons, which is what this thread and poll are about.

Reactions: Rob Brown

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Matthews.

Position and what you are talking about is only an opportunity to create impact. Does Matthews actually do more with more opportunities than Panarin does with less opportunity from the wing? I don't know the answer but just because a player is a center doesn't mean he automatically creates more impact, he just has more opportunities. You might as well say Kerfoot is better than Panarin because he plays centre.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

Considering what with the contracts?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Long term it’s Matthews.
For the next two years flip a coin. I went Panarin because I prefer his elite playmaking along with good goal scoring. Matthews brings the elite goal scoring and decent playmaking.
Totally agree, depends on team needs and chemistry. Both can bring you game changing talent with elite vision and ridiculous hands but in different ways at different positions. The money is essentially a wash and as long as both are healthy for a full season the output should be similar (Albeit Matthews more goals, Panarin more assists).

As a leafs fan its Matthews because we have Marner and a number 2 center of Nylander (whos totally unproven there) or Kerfoot would be a major blow to our offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad