News Article: Panarin getting it done without Ryan Strome

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Copp is a competitive player, and it comes as no surprise that he's complementing Panarin's game (although he's taken a couple bad penalties in recent games).

The real question to me is, could Panarin get it done with Chytil at center and Kakko at wing? That could be a huge cost savings for the team if so.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Has the power play gotten it done without Ryan Strome?

The prostitution rests, your honor.
Kind of shocking that the PP has suffered without Strome considering he barely touched the puck on the unit when he was in the lineup.

I actually really liked PP1 with Kakko in that spot the one time we are able to see it. But I also think Copp would figure it out eventually too in that spot. It's the simplest position on the unit and anyone with quick hands could play there.

Some people even want Laf there, but I think Kakko would be best with his silky smooth hands down low. I hope he plays soon!

Reactions: RangersFan1994

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Kind of shocking that the PP has suffered without Strome considering he barely touched the puck on the unit when he was in the lineup.

I actually really liked PP1 with Kakko in that spot the one time we are able to see it. But I also think Copp would figure it out eventually too in that spot. It's the simplest position on the unit and anyone with quick hands could play there.

Some people even want Laf there, but I think Kakko would be best with his silky smooth hands down low. I hope he plays soon!

It's a surface-level observation; I don't actually know the reasons why they haven't converted as well without Strome. They've been running a 4R setup for so long that maybe a 3R/2L setup with Copp throws things off a little.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Copp is a competitive player, and it comes as no surprise that he's complementing Panarin's game (although he's taken a couple bad penalties in recent games).

The real question to me is, could Panarin get it done with Chytil at center and Kakko at wing? That could be a huge cost savings for the team if so.
Chytil and Kakko have some chemistry. There's a chance Kakko comes in on that third line with Chytil and we get to see how they look together again. Besides Kakko's first few games with Mika he hasn't looked like the player we drafted 2OA this year. He's been a good overall player but we need the 2OA version of Kakko in the playoffs.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Copp is a much better player for Panarin to be stapled too because of his work ethic and being useful away from the puck.

The PP, IMO, comes down to overpassing and Fox looking off recently. He hasn’t been as decisive or aggressive with the puck. He used to make a lot of plays down by the goal line, joining the cycle and drawing players out of position. He’s been pretty stationary on the PP lately, in my opinion.

Also I feel like if Chytil’s name was Cheddel and he was North American, people would be talking about him like Howden. Him being European gives people this “skill” bias where if he were North American he’d be a bottom six plug in everyone’s book by now. I just don’t see it with him and I don’t think a Panarin/Chytil/Kakko line is ever your 2nd line if you want to be a contender.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
The thing with Strome and the PP is more a familiarity thing. They all move in sync instinctually because they have been a unit for so long. When one guy comes in and isn't in that rhythm, every time he shifts to a different area it forces everyone to shift and throws everything off. Replacing Strome just means having to foster a new unit familiarity, but that takes time and the tail end of a season/playoffs is not the time start.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Chytil and Kakko have some chemistry. There's a chance Kakko comes in on that third line with Chytil and we get to see how they look together again. Besides Kakko's first few games with Mika he hasn't looked like the player we drafted 2OA this year. He's been a good overall player but we need the 2OA version of Kakko in the playoffs.
I actually thought Kakko looked better with Strome and Panarin than he did with Mika and Kreider.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Copp is a much better player for Panarin to be stapled too because of his work ethic and being useful away from the puck.

The PP, IMO, comes down to overpassing and Fox looking off recently. He hasn’t been as decisive or aggressive with the puck. He used to make a lot of plays down by the goal line, joining the cycle and drawing players out of position. He’s been pretty stationary on the PP lately, in my opinion.

Also I feel like if Chytil’s name was Cheddel and he was North American, people would be talking about him like Howden. Him being European gives people this “skill” bias where if he were North American he’d be a bottom six plug in everyone’s book by now. I just don’t see it with him and I don’t think a Panarin/Chytil/Kakko line is ever your 2nd line if you want to be a contender.

He has much better hands than Howden but hasn't been able to put it together. But he's been a lot better on the forecheck lately.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
The thing with Strome and the PP is more a familiarity thing. They all move in sync instinctually because they have been a unit for so long. When one guy comes in and isn't in that rhythm, every time he shifts to a different area it forces everyone to shift and throws everything off. Replacing Strome just means having to foster a new unit familiarity, but that takes time and the tail end of a season/playoffs is not the time start.
True, that PP unit has been together ever since DeAngelo got removed if I'm not mistaken. That's a pretty long time now.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Chytil hasn't been very good this year but he has a lot of flashes of looking very talented. Many forget he's still only 22

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

There’s a different swagger the team has with Strome out there, it rubs off on everybody when you have an offensive dynamo like Strome. When players are nervous or tense he breaks the ice by making them laugh taking stupid offensive zone penalties, it’s all an act. It gets the boys going, they love it and think he’s hilarious. Remember when he got back to back penalties to end each period? The boys had a hoot of a time in the room after that. When he’s there Lafreniere is flashing skill (pointless since he got injured), Panarin is working his magic and Kakko is hitting on the waitress when they go out for their post game meal. You can’t underestimate the swagger of Ryan Strome the guy could get anybody laid, the ultimate wingman.

• Haha
Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I actually thought Kakko looked better with Strome and Panarin than he did with Mika and Kreider.
The Kakko that played with Panarin and Strome was not the Kakko we drafted. They also had the easiest schedule to start the season off which is why they looked better than they actually were. We need the Kakko that creates space and no one can take the puck off his stick and not the one waiting for tap ins from Panarin.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Agreed 110%.

I just don't see what other people see with Chytil.

Reactions: Crease and LokiDog

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
All great partnerships need a break from each other once in a while. Hall & Oates, Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden, Cellino & Barnes, Riggs and Murtaugh....

Strome sitting out a few games revitalized both him and Panarin. Now they will conquer, with Copp playing the role of Leo Getz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad