Palm Springs AHL team ECHL Affiliate

Liam Whitton

Jun 19, 2020
St. John's NL
Hey everyone. After doing some research I think there is no talk about the ECHL Affiliate for the Palm Springs AHL team ( If there will be ). Where do you think a possible new ECHL team for the Palm Springs AHL team could be? They possibly could just get an Affiliate with A ECHL team without a AHL Affiliate perhaps.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Hey everyone. After doing some research I think there is no talk about the ECHL Affiliate for the Palm Springs AHL team ( If there will be ). Where do you think a possible new ECHL team for the Palm Springs AHL team could be? They possibly could just get an Affiliate with A ECHL team without a AHL Affiliate perhaps.

There is no talk about an ECHL affiliate for Palm Springs because the AHL isn't the only one they affiliate with. It is a three tier system which includes the NHL.

Don't expect any talk about an ECHL affiliate for Seattle any time soon. Only a handful of ECHL teams are without an affiliation and Seattle is well over a year away from their inaugural season, which is far too soon to even start talking about ECHL affiliates. Vegas announced theirs only 4 months before puck drop.

Reactions: Liam Whitton

Liam Whitton

Jun 19, 2020
St. John's NL
Great insight. Yes I know about the 3 tier it is just not my day for hockey knowledge. Hopefully, though they do get an ECHL affiliate sometime in the future though

Reactions: uncleben

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Great insight. Yes I know about the 3 tier it is just not my day for hockey knowledge. Hopefully, though they do get an ECHL affiliate sometime in the future though

Yes it would be nice.

But, 6 NHL teams don't have ECHL affiliates. So it is not like they would be the only ones without it. And it generally isn't worth it to unless there is a respectable amount of investment from the parent clubs. The chances of an ECHL player becoming a regular NHLer is low, certainly not worth it by most cost-benefit analysis standards. Most NHL teams simply use their ECHL affiliate as a place to develop goalies since you can really only develop two with your AHL affiliate and most teams have deeper goalie pipelines and use it as goalies develop later than players for multiple reasons.

The ECHL plans to eventually expand to 32 to get a full 1-1-1 model, but it is on the periphery of being realistic and it would be long-term if it is. While it would be nice for Seattle to have one, it is very far down the list of their priorities.

Reactions: Liam Whitton

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The only issue with 32-32-32, besides getting the ECHL to 32 teams, is that some NHL teams don't want an ECHL affiliate. I know the Columbus Blue Jackets don't.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The only issue with 32-32-32, besides getting the ECHL to 32 teams, is that some NHL teams don't want an ECHL affiliate. I know the Columbus Blue Jackets don't.

The attitude shift towards the ECHL has already started. It wasn't that long ago most NHL teams didn't really care at all about an AHL affiliate. Yes, of course it has started with the teams which have more to invest in, Toronto and Montréal being the two most notable, and the teams like Columbus, who lost in the region of $11 million last year, will be one of the last ones to pick it up.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad